The 2013 Black Friday thread

Yes... I just ordered.

And you don't get charged customs on tshirts for less than 5k provided it is marked as a gift.
LOL.

U get charged customs on stuff worth 1k even if it's a gift.

And clothes are a red flag.

Try it out once.

Slightest chance of customs evasion is while using USPS/Indiapost direct to india.

I have ordered 3 times and directly shipped via DHL (I guess) and never once did I pay customs....

I simply tell them give me customs receipt for the parcel and then only will pay till then you can keep it. And in the next 2-3 days they drop off the parcel saying no customs charged...

Guys i have a doubt,
My parents will be getting me all the stuff that i ordered from US and they are quite afraid that they might run into some problems with the customs.
they will not have any problems rite?

240GB intel 530 SSD
Couple of xtremeguard screen protectors
Inplace file organizer kit
16GB pny USB pen drive
Coolermaster Xornet mouse
OTG cable for nexus 7
JLab JBuds Hi-Fi Noise-Reducing Ear Buds (Black)
Valve portal shirt

Guys i have a doubt,
My parents will be getting me all the stuff that i ordered from US and they are quite afraid that they might run into some problems with the customs.
they will not have any problems rite?

240GB intel 530 SSD
Couple of xtremeguard screen protectors
Inplace file organizer kit
16GB pny USB pen drive
Coolermaster Xornet mouse
OTG cable for nexus 7
JLab JBuds Hi-Fi Noise-Reducing Ear Buds (Black)
Valve portal shirt

Remove everything from the packing and carry it normally and you should be ok. It is when the stuff is sealed pack or in boxes that they can cause problems.

you mean you are saying i wont have a problem rite? unless i buy a tv?

Checkin the list of items I too feel there should be no problem l. But still why to carry boxes and packaging if not needed. Better to just throw them. The stuff is too small to raise any flags.

What about phones and tablets?
Friend is bringing 4 phones,1 laptop and a tablet through Delhi airport.
Will he face any problem?

This seems like a good thread to ask (even though it's OT). One of my Amazon US orders, shipped via DHL, is stuck at customs with a BIS flag. Anybody know what that means ? It just contains a game and a figurine. Total worth 20$.

This seems like a good thread to ask (even though it's OT). One of my Amazon US orders, shipped via DHL, is stuck at customs with a BIS flag. Anybody know what that means ? It just contains a game and a figurine. Total worth 20$.

BIS has something to do with Indian Industrial Standards. I am assuming this is Delhi Foreign Post since they have been anal retentive about all my shipments in November. My shipment worth $800 got stuck there and I had to personally go there to get it cleared. Now shipments are flagged with BIS in two circumstances - a) Electronics like phones, tablets, laptops, computer components etc. and b) Toys and figurines that contain plastic and die cast. Basically anything that supposedly doesn't meet the *arbitrary* Industrial Standards here.

This is first hand knowledge coming straight from the mouth of the Superintendent there. From what I gathered in my time waiting for my shipments to get cleared they disregard any value mentioned on the declaration forms. Funnily enough, the inspectors and superintendents seem to be well aware of everything that is going on and they choose to look the other way for most shipments. Also, as previously pointed out in our discussions, anything shipped through an expedited method attracts the attention of the customs inspectors. In my experience I've been hit with customs mostly (not all) on shipments sent through Priority Mail/DHL/FedEx whereas First Class mail/Airmail/Small Packets services have sailed past them without hiccups time and again.

How it can proceed from here - a) They might clear everything in a couple of days and you will get your stuff, maybe with duties, maybe without. b) They might send you a notice (not a show cause notice) which will mention the docket number of your shipment along with the reason why they have detained it. In this scenario you will have to make a personal appearance at the Foreign Post Head Office near ITO, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, carrying with you printed copies of your credit card/paypal statements and bill of purchase. They will ask for an Importers Code number in that notice but you don't need it if you don't run a shop and intend to resell the contents of the shipment. Jut tell them that you have purchased those items for your personal collection and you don't mean to sell them further. They will then make you wait for a few hours while they dig out your shipment from the piles and piles of detained packages and process it. Once they clear everything they will tell you how much duties you will have to pay when you receive the package through the mail. Yes, they won't hand it over to you right then and you will have to wait for the postman to bring it to you.

Any more doubts? You know how to contact me. Cheers!

Last edited:
Which pogoplug is worth buying and what all can be done with a pogoplug ?
Stock software and hacked software both.

The P21 E02's if you want to attach multiple USB 2.0 drives and want a slightly better SOC. I think the V4's only have one USB 2.0, but have a USB 3.0, though not sure if the USB 3.0 works with arch. I've already got a P21 E02 and it is really worth it, but you have to be ready to mess around with archlinux or else just use it stock out the box.

You can get archlinux onto the P21 E02 and the V4 which means that you can get transmission, rtorrent, samba and a bunch of other stuff too. Pretty neat device for the cost and especially at less than $15. Shipping+customs is the killer on this, but if you can get it hand carried, it's a great price. Anyone getting these hand-carried across and willing to pick up one for me, let me know.

Last edited:
Back