The android dilemma, sooper confused

par15th

Recruit
So my trusty nokia 5130's screen got broken again. It fell out of my pocket during a wheelie. Then I switched it off during a friend's bachelor party and the damn thing doesn't switch on now. The broken screen shown a little of a message box when I switch it on and as soon as I press the middle button it goes off. So anyhow, I need a new phone now as I'm using this dinosaur aged nokia 1112 and it's ****in' pissing me off.

The problem is I don't have as per say a budget, as in I've never owned an android device and hence I don't know what I'm getting myself into. Hence I have no clue of how much money to spend. I have about 17k in hand and can borrow the rest from friends and all if I need to. But if I can get an android phone which is a good bet for a first time user, I'd rather spend 8-9k and keep the rest in my pocket.

Here's the template:

1. Q: Budget?

A: Answered above

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?

A: Amoled and superamoled screen not required, but I won't mind having them too.

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: No preference.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash is required but I'd consider without flash if the rest of the package is really really good.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Android/ Windows*

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: Wifi must

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: Camera, internet, moderate gaming, a good bit of music, videos, GPS navigation as I tend to tour a bit and it'd really help me out.

10. Q: Any other requirements?

A: Don't require dual sim. Should have a big screen as I do plan on reading some ebooks on it.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

A: In the android area: Dell XCD 35 for a low budget , motorola defy/defy plus for a mid budget. Galaxy r is the maximum I'm willing to go.

I also wish to ask you guys whether I should stick to android only or if windows platform is equally good. I've not used either so I have no clue.

Also, I'd like to point out why I've prefereed these devices in their respective budgets.

XCD 35.

It looks good, has a 3.5"screen with good resolution. and has unbeatable features for that price. A little googling told me that it is unofficially upgradeable to gingerbread and can be overclocked as well to run faster. The biggest point is that If I go for it I get to save about 6-7k.

Motorola defy/defy plus

Personally If I had the option, I'd get the defy coz the defy plus hasn't got that many extra features for the extra 2-2.5k. I love the concept of a water/dust/scratch proof mobile as I do tend to drop my mobile. The rate of abuse increases exponentially after one year and defy scores a lot in the area. Plus it's features are nice.

Galaxy R

This thing is a LOT out of my price range. The only thing that makes me want to liquidate all my resources and get this is that while the defy plus comes to me for 15-16k, the R sets me back by 5k more and I get a dual core processor + 1gb ram + bigger screen + ICS upgrade is conformed for this.

So guys what should I do? Save my money and go for xcd35? or use all my gandhijis and go for defy or defy plus? OR take a loan and go for galaxy R?

Samsung Galaxy R is the best buy feature wise and performance for price wise also , but since you say you have to stifle your budget to extreme , you are the best person to decide whether to go for it or not.

Will you use the phone regulary for watchind HD movies on your cellphone , use the mail functionalities regularly , use the applications to validate the purchase of 21k or are you better saving of the extra 6-7k and spend it on any other thing you want.

Get the Samsung Galaxy Y or the XCD35. Both are the cheapest androids from trusted brands.

As you have no experience with Androids, in case you don't like them, you can always change later. If you buy something worth 18k and don't like it, you are gonna have to live with it!

Get the SE Neo V for 14k from ebay.

buy a pouch/ body case.

use rest of cash for future recharges!!
<

it ticks all your requirments !!

^^whats the deal? new/used??

if its an offline deal make sure to check it works well and no evidence of fall!

mind you the 3GS is fragile(from personal experience) in case of fall compared to other mentioned phones!

SGR would be a good bet if you can stretch your budget.

I wonder why people close their eyes when they see a iDevice.You intend to read Ebooks on your device and will that be sufficient on a 320X480 screen resolution ?

You intend to use the XCD35 with a higher clock, but you will get a 600MHz proccy in your iDevice.

Comon open your eyes and take a decision what your requirements are and what you get ot of your mobile.

Even I agree go for Galaxy R ... Been using for two weeks... Its super smooth and I love reading ebooks on its huge screen ... The battery back up is also good over 2g networks( 48 hrs) though over 3g it lasts for only 24 hrs

Guys I bought an iphone 3gs 16 gb for 12.5k. Sorry to bug you with all this android stuff. I thought that the best for an average user would be an iphone so I took that.

Anyways thanks for your precious input. Cheers!
<

Back