Security Software The Best Free Firewalls At One Place.. :)

When i opened the 'Security Solutions' forum, i thought there must already be a sticky containing all the good free firewall stuff for the members. Unfortunately there wasnt,so i decided to start this thread with links to all the freeware firewalls available for newer members..(the biggies already know it all..;) )
And by free, i mean really free stuff..no trials...so here we go...

1. COMODO FIREWALL PRO

The only firewall that doesn't leak. Unfortunately, most firewalls leak. But Comodo's Firewall is unique in that it passes all known leak tests to ensure the integrity of data entering and exiting your system. Comodo has put firewall through all kinds of sophisticated tests to ensure its firewall powerful enough to ward off these attacks with default settings. No other firewall has had to work this hard. Take this test yourself.

Comodo Firewall Pro - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

2. ZoneAlarm

Get ZoneAlarm® Firewall: Basic PC Protection
- Firewall protection only

Check Point ZoneAlarm - ZoneAlarm FREE Download

3. PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition 2.0

PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition is a powerful personal free firewall for Microsoft Windows that protects your computer from hackers and intruders. Firewalls control the network traffic in and out of your PC by monitoring applications that connect to the network. Firewall Plus can stop Trojans, backdoors, and keyloggers from damaging your computer and stealing your private information. PC Tools Firewall Plus is advanced technology designed specially for people, not experts. Powerful prevention against attacks and known exploits is activated by default and advanced users can also easily create their own packet filtering rules to customize the network defenses. All you need to do is install it for immediate and automatic ongoing protection. It is recommended for use alongside of AntiSpyware and Antivirus software like AVG or Spyware Doctor to protect PC against Spyware, hackers, worms, and viruses.

PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

4.Outpost Firewall Free

The free version of Agnitum Outpost firewall Pro. Fill the form and provide ur email address and they'll send you a link (to ur email address) to download their Outpost firewall Free.

Free Firewall - Download Outpost Firewall Free

5.Jetico Personal Firewall 2.0.0.23 beta

Jetico Personal Firewall protects your computer from unwanted hacker's attacks from outside as well as from malicious programs living secretly inside your computer's memory and hard drive. Three levels of protection are included: low-level network packets filtering, application-level network events filtering, and filtering of user-level process activity. Jetico Personal Firewall checks every packet that comes in or out of your computer.

Jetico Personal Firewall - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

6.AS3 Personal Firewall 2

AS3 Personal Firewall is device designed to prevent outsiders from accessing your network even if it is run from a USB drive. The unit serves as the single entry point to your network and evaluate all TCP connections requests as they are received comparing them with each rule in the policy. This is advanced easy to use software with ability to watch for all ports on your system. Activity provides a real-time view of the open connections through the firewall.

AS3 Personal Firewall - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

7.Hurricanesoft Personal Firewall Free Edition 2.5

Hurricanesoft Personal Firewall Free Edition is a software to protect your PC against trojans, hackers, and viruses. Hurricanesoft Personal Firewall Free Edition monitors all programs connected to the Internet, as well as e-mail accounts and LAN, you can block Web sites, remote and local ports.

It allows to apply rules to programs in order to block/allow them. You can turn on/off the block all connections feature. When an unknown program is trying to connect to the Internet, the program will ask if you want the current program blocked/allowed for once or forever.

Hurricanesoft Personal Firewall Free Edition - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

8.Ashampoo® FireWall FREE

The Ashampoo FireWall makes it easy for anyone to set up an effective, free firewall. Its Configuration Assistant guides you through every step of the the setup process. Easy Mode makes using it a breeze. You dont need any special technical knowledge, and everything is explained clearly. Even with its additional security tools, Ashampoo Firewall is a tiny program that uses very little memory and computer resources. You get heavy-duty protection without a heavyweight load on your system. The Ashampoo FireWall user interface explains itself every step of the way. The information is right there on the screen where you need it so that most users will never need to consult the help files.

Ashampoo FireWall - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

9.FirewallPAPI - Open Source Firewall For Windows

FirewallPAPI is an open source firewall for Windows 2000 and above. It is a simple utility for filter network traffic.

SourceForge.net: Files

10.Firewall - NetDefender

NetDefender is a Free Firewall with source code, which can be downloaded along with firewall executables. Netdefender works only on windows 2000 and above versions of windows.

Open source code firewall for windows

11. NetVeda - Safety.Net 3.61

Safety.Net 3.61 offers Internet security, content security and advanced Internet firewall protection for all your LAN computers, and trust controls to block unwanted or harmful applications from accessing the network. You can define granular user or computer specific access controls based on site, content, PICS ratings and time of day. You can monitor connection level network activity round-the-clock and view detailed reports to analyze traffic and usage patterns.
P.s: You have to fill a form to download the free firewall.

NetVeda - Safety.Net
If you know more free firewalls that are good, feel free to add here. Hope you find it useful. :)

medpal said:
i think native vista firewall and windows defender does a pretty good job.

But these 2 do not ask before allowing any program from accessing the Internet :(

I DONT want some programs going back home .... if you know what I mean.... :p

Eazy said:
But these 2 do not ask before allowing any program from accessing the Internet :(

I DONT want some programs going back home .... if you know what I mean.... :p
strange to me it asks before any program connects to net.

once i make a rule it does not

medpal said:
strange to me it asks before any program connects to net.

once i make a rule it does not

I have not yet put in enough time with Vista.... I will check the options and see if I can get it to work the way I want. I am still running 5744 RC2 - maybe that version does not have this option ? I will check.

I've been using Comodo for about two months now. It hasnt been upto the mark. I bumped into it as its made by same company which makes H-sphere, my fav control panel :D

The learning process never ends for comodo, it keeps asking for access permission for same programs each time you reboot. Still it comes with many good features.

Nothing beats ZoneAlarm. Planning to revert back to ZA, will do tonight :)

Thanks to all u ppl..:) Well, i too agree tht comodo takes a bit getting used to..

there seems to be no way to make it 'learn' what is to be blocked and what not, once n for all..it keeps asking the same friggin questions again n again but yeh, for a free firewall, it definitely scores the best out there, i guess.. also i wud hav loved it, if it consumed a bit less ram..but anyways..beggars cant be choosers..or so the line goes..;) so i (the beggar ;) ) cant ask for anything more from a free firewall out there..

Also, everyone knows about ZA so theres nothin new here, but i think the PcTools Firewall Plus Free edition is also a good firewall option..but again, its not the most user friendly firewall out there..needs a bit getting used to..but once configured, it does its job pretty well...

Damn my sify connection, it doesnt seem to work with it for some reason..actually even after i allow my Sify Client to be allowed to access net, the client doesnt launch and goes into trouble shooting mode always..shucks really..:no:

Tonight i'm also goin to try the Outpost 'free' edition n see if it atleast provides me better protection than the Win firewall..;)

Btw, one thing i've come to know is tht Sify is the most nagging ISP out there.. nothing seems to work properly apart from the proprietary (read crappy) av tht comes with it...

@guys,

firstly awesome collection there ryan....thanks for the post. ....

secondly, comodo is still a learner but impressive but then again, it is one fothose who needs to be reminded what its suppose to do and not to, a slow learner...

sify has a shitty crappy av of trend micro bundled with them coz i am using ti in my office and i asked them to disable it for me and hence from past 2 days i am using the best there is in terms of protection, symantec client security which is symantecs enterprose security solution.

^^ yeh man, even i'm goin to dump tht crappy trend micro office client n install kaspersky internet security in its place.. but sify still has some problems with firewalls.. even after i allow the sify client to access net, the damn thing doesnt launch..so i have to disable the firewall first, launch the client and then enable the firewall..cumbersome, but there doesnt seem to be any other way out..

Btw, i wonder, with so many ppl asking them to disable their bundled av, why doesnt sify just dump the whole damn thing and allow ppl to choose between the bundled av or use their own avs instead of bothering them to call CC to disable it first..?:no:

Nice list there ryan.

I have zone alarm security suite,due to which my computer[windows xp sp2] takes a very long time to boot up completely, is anybody else also facing this problem.Thinking of replacing the suite with some other firewall only because of this.

^^yah..suffered the same problem with ZA suite..currently using kaspersky internet security..its okay..not too fast..not too slow..;) U shud also try out AVG Internet security..its very good and very very lite.. n it does all it shud pretty well..its got an av,firewall, spyware detector and spam detector..all in one suite..pretty good detection rate too..infact i uninstalled it just to try kaspersky out..currently m just too lazy to go roll back to avg..;)

However if u still intend to use ZA, u shud try the firewall alone and use any other lite av like avg..tht ZA suite is a big resource hogger..so dump it..:)

ZA AV completely FAIL when there is Question to find out Virus/Trojan infected files. I was using ZA from last 3 yrs with 98 and now continue with XP.

But one Hot Morning XP Pop Up Balloon and shattered showing System Infected Warning. I run ZA Scan 3 times but all 3 times it didn't find any Infected File, but the Pop Up Balloon still showing me same message.

Than I turn to COMODO and with First Scan COMODO find the Infected file.

My friend who use Win2000 also aware that ZA is SOFT with Virus.

doubt: i have AVG 7.5 internet security which has firewall, but i feel that the TORRENT speed is very low since i've installed it and the torrent shows no signs of SHARING rate/ uploads althoug it downloads @ 1/2 kb/sec initially when there was no firewall it used to download @ 15kb/s

jumbo5 said:
doubt: i have AVG 7.5 internet security which has firewall, but i feel that the TORRENT speed is very low since i've installed it and the torrent shows no signs of SHARING rate/ uploads althoug it downloads @ 1/2 kb/sec initially when there was no firewall it used to download @ 15kb/s

Do not try to install or use another firewall when you already have one. See whether you have Windows Firewall enabled accidentally. Then check out whether you have the port used by your P2P client is properly forwarded. I have seen that Comodo is best when it comes to P2P download. And the latest version automatically forward ports used in P2P, you do not need to do anything but to use the Stealth Port Wizard for the first time.

Back