The book I am reading currently

I used to read a lot since I was a kid, right upto my second year in college. And then I got a PC and started watching instead of reading. I had finished the whole library that was in my vicinity in Chandigarh and during summer holidays, used to read 3-4 books a day. Also used to read Harry Potter books in one go on the day of the launch itself.
I have tried getting back to reading, but find it harder to do with digital format and I have no access to a local library anymore and can't buy so many books either. Trouble with reading on phone is that there are other distractions as well. Reading speed has always been very good and I don't think it has deteriorated despite no practice in the last decade and a half. I have picked up Dune because of the movie and it's a famous novel series as well. Have always felt that books are better than movies. Only 'Harry Potter' movies were ok because they copied the books verbatim. Let's see how it goes. It's much easier to leave the book mid-way when reading on a phone than, when reading a hardcover.
I have generally found that once I have reached a certain momentum, the medium(phone or physical) doesn't matter. Though it is easier to do this for easily digestible books.

Thanks to the Kindle. 2021.
read_2-21.PNG

Private Life of the Mughals is showing as an audio book. I read it. Some error on Goodreads.
I used to read a lot since I was a kid, right upto my second year in college. And then I got a PC and started watching instead of reading. I had finished the whole library that was in my vicinity in Chandigarh and during summer holidays, used to read 3-4 books a day. Also used to read Harry Potter books in one go on the day of the launch itself.
I have tried getting back to reading, but find it harder to do with digital format and I have no access to a local library anymore and can't buy so many books either. Trouble with reading on phone is that there are other distractions as well. Reading speed has always been very good and I don't think it has deteriorated despite no practice in the last decade and a half. I have picked up Dune because of the movie and it's a famous novel series as well. Have always felt that books are better than movies. Only 'Harry Potter' movies were ok because they copied the books verbatim. Let's see how it goes. It's much easier to leave the book mid-way when reading on a phone than, when reading a hardcover.

See if you can invest in a Kindle. My reading has gone up big time. Though the biggest factor is taking out distraction free time. I put in a solid 2H early mornings due to WFH and not having to drive/get ready for office. After getting a Kindle I have a full pipeline of authors (yes I now read author wise vs. title). :)

Last edited:
@asingh which one would you rate the best book you've read? @jiith77 same question for you too. I am just looking at expanding my reading horizon. :)

1) Kafka on the Shore
My first Haruki Murakami. Wont be the last.

2) Never Split the Difference
Definitely the new classic on negotiation. This one makes the earlier classic ( getting to yes) no longer relevant except for buzz words.

3) China's Economy: What Everyone Needs to Know
Gives a birds eye view of China’s economic policies till Xi. Also clears a lot of myths surrounding China - like Chinese growth economy was capitalist, China is less corrupt or that deng xiaoping copied Singapore model.

4) The Happiness Hypothesis
Second Jonathan Haidt book . The first one - Righteous mind - is highly recommended for anyone who is less tolerant of the views of right.
This one is nothing path breaking but has an interesting view on what drives human happiness. Most interesting bit being about religious philosophy and its positive impact on happiness.

Thank you for the write up @jiith77 Definitely a nice peek into my least read genre of the least read genre (NF, Self Help). I am just veering towards NF, albeit books about Science (Life, Physics, Climate). But your writeup are interesting.

Thank you for the write up @jiith77 Definitely a nice peek into my least read genre of the least read genre (NF, Self Help). I am just veering towards NF, albeit books about Science (Life, Physics, Climate). But your writeup are interesting.
I haven't read anything on climate. Maybe none under Life as well.

For Physics - Reality is not what it seems - is brilliant

What i have listed earlier were best books from what i read last year. Most loved ones were probably fictions read during school years (Ludlum, King etc)

A few of the best books about life and science I have read are

Book about mass extinctions that life has beaten to survive. A book everyone should read

Attenborough at his finest. This is a diary of life and evolution. Massive in scope but succinct, mesmerising, and with stunning pictures. It is a must for everyone who loves to unravel the mysteries of life.

A fun book on the life of eccentric German scientists. In gives a peek into how minds of scientists work!

Giving the hardiest forms of life on the planet the respect they deserve.

A dive into the world of mathematics and the reclusive eccentrics the area of study gives rise to!

String Theory Ahoy!

The book that absolutely rains on the parades of every known socio-psychological research of the past century. A book well worth reading.

Who hasn't heard of this one?

Respect to what could quite possibly the most over evolved being the planet has ever witnessed!

Most loved ones were probably fictions read during school years (Ludlum, King etc)
Robert Ludlum's books are among my favourites. For me his best were The Matarese Circle and its sequel The Matarese Countdown. The Covert One series authored by him were good as well.

Robert Ludlum's books are among my favourites. For me his best were The Matarese Circle and its sequel The Matarese Countdown. The Covert One series authored by him were good as well.
The first Ludlum i read was also my favorite Ludlum - Bourne Identity. That was one of those rare ones where i loved both novel and movie adaptations.

The Matarese ones were also good. However i dont think i have read covert one series. Had quit reading Ludlum by then.

Ludlum and Forsyth were staple during the school days. I was surprised to see Covert One being good--when they were collaborative in nature regarding Ludlum. The Bourne series are so different to the movies, and much longer in nature and context. Though if you liked racy spy thrillers with exemplary 'trade craft', try David Morell. He is absolute king, absolute. Author of First Blood!

Ludlum and Forsyth were staple during the school days. I was surprised to see Covert One being good--when they were collaborative in nature regarding Ludlum. The Bourne series are so different to the movies, and much longer in nature and context. Though if you liked racy spy thrillers with exemplary 'trade craft', try David Morell. He is absolute king, absolute. Author of First Blood!
I liked the original Covert Ones though. Bourne were the most popular ones he wrote but I somehow found his earlier works better. Thanks for the suggestion of David Morell. Its been part of my rather long bucket list.
I would strongly recommend I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. That was unputdownable.

Going through "The Third Wave" by Alvin Toeflar for second time , will move on to Powershift By Toeflar once i am done with the present one .

A couple of them:

1. The Psychology of Money as a weekend leisure reading by Morgan Housel, as I'm looking to understand the stock markets.
2. Wisdom of the Rishis: The Three Upanishads: Ishavasya, Kena & Mandukya by Sri M after work. Helps me relax.

Back