The book I am reading currently

1. Golazo!: The Beautiful Game from the Aztecs to the World Cup: The Complete History of How Soccer Shaped Latin America by Andreas Campomar

2. Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires by Selwyn Raab

Finished The Hobbit and 3 books of Lord of the rings. Legendary narration by the Andy Serkis. AKA Preciouswala.

Screenshot_1.jpg

This guy has brilliantly imitated voices of all of the actors playing respective characters from LOTR movies. The hobbits is nice. Fellowship of the ring is a bit bloated with unnecessary details and songs. Two towers is relatively fast faced. The return of the king is great. The story kinda ends in the first half of the book. Latter half is Frodo's journey back to shire. I'm, being spoiled by the peter jackson's movies, found the battles in the books a bit underwhelming. I think 'fair' is the most favourite word of JRR Tolkien. Everything good is fair and everything fair is good in the books. Even the Ents (talking trees) call their wives (which are also trees) fair. Anyway, I'm not judging. It was a different time.

The world of Lord of the Rings, ie Middle Earth and the other bits is ginormous and has a long history. It's the biggest fantasy world I have ever come across. There are too many things like landmarks or kingdoms and then each of them have multiple names. It's easy to get lost on the details. I'll highly recommend these books, especially with Andy's narration. It's on Storytel.

Currently reading
  • What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
Both are by Randall Munroe. Just casual reads and with serious scientific research.

Bought a lot of Japanese mysteries. Winter is here and there is really nothing better than lying under a blanket with a book.

Read 5 out of 7 so far - the ones by Shimada and Higashino are left.

View attachment 152452

How are these?
I have read the top one and few others by the same author.
DO EPIC SHIT - Ankur Warikoo

There's no escape from this one it seems.
Went to Crosswords store - this is everywhere.
Amazon, Audible - this is the first book in every list.

I had watched few of his videos - okayish and seems I am (late 30's) not his target audience.
Opened this book in the bookstore and like a children's book, this got huge fonts, weird formatting. Is it to make a 200 pager?!!

How's the content btw?

Last edited:
Finished two books recently, both brilliant:
1. Man eaters of Kumaon by Corbett
2. Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee (audiobook)

Currently reading
1. Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake
2. The Lean Startup by Eric Ries? (Audiobook)

Has anyone read 'The Sandman'? Would I like it if I find marvel crap boring?
Depends on whether you like the genre. I enjoyed it for the words alone. I am not a graphic novel person, but I liked that one. It is like reading Dr.Faustus. And definitely more entertaining than regular superhero stuff.

Please note that the Sandman I read was almost 8 years ago, and I have never watched the series nor do I know if the books has changed with all the netflix logos and all.
Finished two books recently, both brilliant:
1. Man eaters of Kumaon by Corbett
2. Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee (audiobook)

Currently reading
1. Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake
2. The Lean Startup by Eric Ries? (Audiobook)
How is the Gormenghast going? That was one epic psychedelic trip for me. The ravages of bleakness and pain... gods, Peake has a mind for words and colours.

Has anyone read 'The Sandman'? Would I like it if I find marvel crap boring?
The Sandman is not a superhero book but DC comics' characters occasionally pop up there. It's gets better and better as the story goes ahead. You can buy a book or two every month and finish it in a year. That's what I did.

Reading order in my opinion:

Vol 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Vol 2: The Doll's House
Vol 3: Dream Country
Vol 4: Season of Mists
Vol 5: A Game of You
Vol 6: Fables and Reflections
Vol 7: Brief Lives
Vol 8: Worlds' End
Vol 9: The Kindly Ones
Vol 10: The Wake
The Sandman: The Dream Hunters
Vol 11: Endless Nights
Death
Sandman Overture

Everything except the last 2 are paperbacks. Last two are hardcovers.

Alternatively: You can get new deluxe editions which include Dream Hunters and Endless Nights. All are hardcovers.

The Sandman Deluxe Edition Book One
The Sandman Deluxe Edition Book Two
The Sandman Deluxe Edition Book Three
The Sandman Deluxe Edition Book Four
The Sandman Deluxe Edition Book Five
Death
Sandman Overture

Making Breakthrough Innovation Happen By Porus Munshi

Book on Eleven Indians and how they pulled off. Started at Dainik Bhaskar and moving towards Sukam.

Thanks @soulweaver and @Mr.J. I can't start the comics itself but I'll start with its audio book on audible. The voice starcast is great. And the reviews say it's as per the comics plus some narration explaining the scenes.

Depends on whether you like the genre. I enjoyed it for the words alone. I am not a graphic novel person, but I liked that one. It is like reading Dr.Faustus. And definitely more entertaining than regular superhero stuff.

Please note that the Sandman I read was almost 8 years ago, and I have never watched the series nor do I know if the books has changed with all the netflix logos and all.

How is the Gormenghast going? That was one epic psychedelic trip for me. The ravages of bleakness and pain... gods, Peake has a mind for words and colours.
I haven't finished it yet. So dark ... I re-read Dune, and now will have another crack at it.

Back