The "Everyday" show-off thread !

I wanted to buy a perfect remote for my HTPC to work with both XBMC and Windows. After years of usage I have realized there is not perfect remote for both. The XBMC app for iOS/ Andriod is good enough for XBMC and wireless keyboard + mouse combo works well for Windows. Yet to find a device to conquer both. Remember I use keyboard+mouse for transferring data between PC and external HDD. No app or remote or a all in one like the Lenovo can do that as well as the keyboard and mouse combo. For everything else there are loads of iOS/Android apps.

Building a home PC for my sister. Got these:

WP_20130905_19_09_01_Pro.jpg

Gigabyte H61M-S2P v2.1, Intel Pentium G2020, Corsair 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, Seasonic Eco 400W. Cost me 15, 503 in all.

Sourced them from Flipkart (motherboard, RAM and processor) and Snapdeal (power supply and hard drive). Assembled them yesterday, tested for any DOA issues and repacked them. Shall be sending them over to Madurai today.

The motherboard has all solid caps. For 3.3k, I couldn't find another board that offered this feature. But lacks USB 3 and SATA 6 Gbps ports. Not even a DVI out!

WP_20130905_19_13_46_Pro.jpg

The power supply was packed without any polystyrene material inside the carton. It was cheap so this was what Seasonic had to offer. At least reliable than the cheaper junks. For home use, anything above this might have been an overkill.

WP_20130905_19_18_50_Pro.jpg

This will be replacing a system (Athlon XP 1800+, 256 MB RAM, Samsung IDE 40GB hard drive, onboard Geforce 2 iGPU) which is over a decade old! I had assembled this way back in May 2003 when I was in my 12th grade and the fond memories of playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Serious Sam: TSE still remain. Few caps around the CPU socket have some brown chemical deposited over it. This was used with a cheapo Mercury 300W power supply which luckily didn't give up until now. The system will be preserved and operated (with a better power supply!) from time to time. It was running Windows XP.

1.jpg

WP_20130823_11_20_40_Pro.jpg

So unlike gannu's legendary pc., my H61 mobo which was bought during my sandy build has given up.

It took a while to figure out what the actual problem with my pc was and heck it was frustrating.
Infact i basically changed the wrong components thinking they are damaged!
2800 for the psu
1 k for heatsink and coolers

Anyways, all is well that ends well and now i have upgraded to a b75 mobo.

ImageUploadedByTechEnclave Forum1378485611.826387.jpg

ImageUploadedByTechEnclave Forum1378485624.303697.jpg

Damages rs 4600 rs

Ps - gannu a bit surprised you didn't go for a b75 board given the minimal price difference.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTechEnclave Forum1378485597.522144.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTechEnclave Forum1378485597.522144.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 142
Yeah this board was in consideration but this was on a budget. Which was why I had to settle for a 500 GB drive instead of a 1 TB drive although the price difference was just 1k.

The H61 board was just 3.2k. :p

Few caps around the CPU socket have some brown chemical deposited over it. This was used with a cheapo Mercury 300W power supply which luckily didn't give up until now.

Those are not deposits, they are capacitors about to die. Better replace them with same rating capacitors. Replace all capacitors which show signs of bulding at the top.

Those are not deposits, they are capacitors about to die. Better replace them with same rating capacitors. Replace all capacitors which show signs of bulding at the top.

Thanks but I can confirm they are indeed deposits. The caps. had a slight bulging and the the brown deposits had formed only on those that were bulged. They are indeed about to die no doubt and I shall be replacing them with newer ones if I can manage to find the right ones. But this activity will have to wait until next year start, when I can lay my hands on this system again.

@TechHead Hehe. Enjoy the luxury of using any legacy lenses. Btw, IIRC, dpr said something about the low buffer of D7100. What do you feel in burst mode ? That one is on my wishlist for birding as the 7D Mk II is probably gonna be way more expensive.

Last edited:
Back