The Fitness Thread !

What was that steady pace ? And can you share what strength training you took up ?

I lost it in six months.
My training was something many would suggest staying away from. I used to train every body part everyday. I didn't want to build my body, just wanted to increase my strength and try and give every muscle a workout everyday. I also used to follow reverse reps i.e. start from heaviest I could do instead of lightest weight. Also I do my reps extremely slowly, and psychologically moving the exact muscles that should do the work according to the exercise. In my view, this mental control is also very important.
So I used to end up doing 12-13 strength exercises before hitting the treadmill and the exer-cycle.

I also follow the same. I care nothing about body building. I just want strength and stamina. I work out everything. Max weight. 5 reps. 3 sets. Thats it.

Stupid for some. But worked for me. Again back into it. Cannot lift my arms. :( :( :(

I also follow the same. I care nothing about body building. I just want strength and stamina. I work out everything. Max weight. 5 reps. 3 sets. Thats it.

Stupid for some. But worked for me. Again back into it. Cannot lift my arms. :( :( :(
That's the basics of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Hope you're targeting the big muscles and not wasting time doing biceps and triceps, or overdoing chest. Great workout for beginners. You can move to 5x5 once you've hit a plateau.
i meant 'assistance' provided by the machines... so as to not lose the proper form. injured people use machines to isolate the injury and keep training... i put a novice in the same category.
That's where you are wrong. A novice isn't the same as an injured person. And using machines won't improve your form one bit. You'll have to work even harder to correct your form afterwards if you've got used to machines; I've explained the reason below.
Guidance: in my opinion, indian instructors can't provide any guidance. so, i asked him to rely on machines in the beginning.
You're right in your first sentence, but the irony is that even these instructors suggest to workout on machines because it's less work for them.

Machines have become a mask to hide behind for lazy trainers.
the last i used any machine was in year 1997. i've learnt a lot in the meanwhile. i suggested machine to a new user to avoid any injuries.
You are misinformed about machines then. They are more dangerous and cause greater injuries than free weights. The reason: locking your body into an unnatural movement.

Have you ever seen kids (even 1-year-olds) squat? Heck, even Indian-style toilet is the same :D That's the natural body motion for doing squats. Just imagine doing that on a Smith Machine, and with weights on your back. You are forced to carry the weight into a straight vertical motion. Doing it naturally will carry the weight in a slightly curved path. The same holds true for doing bench press, overhead press and deadlift on a Smith Machine.

Leg extension machine stresses the shin bone, which in turn puts pressure on the knee cap. Seen many people weaken their knees due to overuse of this machine. Our quadriceps are meant for running, jumping, squatting, etc... not to generate torque for rotating your knee joint.

Pec Deck, Cable Rows, Abs crunchers and twisters are some of the other machines that pose a higher risk of injury than free weights.
those stabilizers can be trained later on with free weights, which requires some knowledge and practice about proper form. a new user can be productive on machines from day 1... while learning the ropes on free weights might take forever.
That's exactly the problem. You'll have to train your stabilizers from the beginning, starting with the least weight. Most people try to lift the same (or at least close to the same) they're capable on a machine and get themselves injured.

Form is basics, and from day 1 that is what you should be targeting. Forget how much you lift. Just do it with a bar with no weights. If you can't do that, then try with a wooden stick. If not even that, then just bare body.

The machines will hinder your natural movement, and in the process also wreck your form.

Form, form, form. Basics. That's all that a novice should be concentrating on.

Once they've passed the basics stage (in reality we are always improving on our technique, but I mean at least 85% of the basics), the beginners start enjoying their training. They are the ones who I've always seen to have a long-term commitment to exercising. Even if they take a 1-year or 2-years break, they always have a yearning to come back.
i've used some good machines for isolated training, so i just shared my experience.
That's alright. We're all here to share and learn.
you guys know better about cardio... i just don't need it. i've always been lean due to heavy weight training only. just once in a while i'd do cardio to beat the calorie scores of fellow gym goers. FYI, all of our machines (cardio + weight) were fitlinxx equipped; so, it used to be fun to see where you stand against other runners.
I cycle in real life, so even I don't bother much about it. Also, a HIIT session with weights is a much better cardio workout than what's traditionally considered to be cardio.
and i am happy for him and other steroid users. you guys are in a different league... you follow bulk-n-cut routines and i always eat clean to stay ripped. bulking is not my cup of tea. i strictly follow my routine and my chances of skipping workout would be once in a year; whereas you guys might not even touch cold iron in winters (Rockfella).
Don't know much about him, but my training is always about building strength and maintaining it. Haven't followed a bulk-and-cut routine as of yet, though many strength trainers suggest to go on a cut at least once a year to push your body to the limits.

Last edited:
I lost it in six months.
My training was something many would suggest staying away from. I used to train every body part everyday. I didn't want to build my body, just wanted to increase my strength and try and give every muscle a workout everyday. I also used to follow reverse reps i.e. start from heaviest I could do instead of lightest weight. Also I do my reps extremely slowly, and psychologically moving the exact muscles that should do the work according to the exercise. In my view, this mental control is also very important.
So I used to end up doing 12-13 strength exercises before hitting the treadmill and the exer-cycle.

All this exercise along with normal diet ??

All this exercise along with normal diet ??

Lol. I have abnormal diet. It is one aspect I haven't been able to control. So even while I was stuffing myself with Pizzas and what not, I lost 15kgs in six months. I gained back 25kgs when I stopped exercising.
I have currently again lost 10kgs in 2 months following the same routine. This time I have put a lid on my junk eating but I eat a lot at home. And this time treadmills and exer-cycle have been replaced by swimming and a real cycle.

Lol. I have abnormal diet. It is one aspect I haven't been able to control. So even while I was stuffing myself with Pizzas and what not, I lost 15kgs in six months. I gained back 25kgs when I stopped exercising.
I have currently again lost 10kgs in 2 months following the same routine. This time I have put a lid on my junk eating but I eat a lot at home. And this time treadmills and exer-cycle have been replaced by swimming and a real cycle.

Eating right is a very important part of any fitness regime and it has to start prior to the work out. However, you can enjoy the cheat days :) (but only in moderation).

There is only one decent gym in my area. They have a separate section for cardio and separate section for weight training. Since I am new I dont know what equipment is there and not there. I noted that they have equipment from Pro Dual.

Take a trial membership for a few days or a month. Its very hard to see if all the machines you want are there with just a visit unless you ahve a checklist. lol

But if they have treadmills and a nice set of dumbbells and a squat rack its going to be okay.

First I need to learn the basics. Then I think i will follow Stronglifts 5x5 routine.
Stronglifts and Starting strength is good but I would advise you to please have a look at the book called Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRoberts.
http://www.ironmagazine.com/ebooks/Beyond-Brawn-2nd-Edition.pdf

I would place it ahead of Stronglifts and Startingstrength simply because it forces YOU to THINK and apply, instead of blindly following a program.
In fact this is not directed towards only you, but all the readers of this thread.

Are there any real/practical advantages of GreenTea ?

I have read up a lot on internet but want to know actual effects on one who consumes it.

Are there any real/practical advantages of GreenTea ?

I have read up a lot on internet but want to know actual effects on one who consumes it.
You mean to "improve" metabolism and thus bring down fat?

There is only one guaranteed way of improving metabolism = increase the lean body mass - specifically increase the kilograms of muscles you have on your body. Each kg requires some basal energy to live. More kg = more energy required.

There is only one guaranteed way to reduce fat = reduce the calorific intake. You have a wide choice of reducing the calorific content: either on daily basis, or on weekly basis. (or whatever arbitrary time period you wish to choose).

Now coming to the green tea. I know of people who take it. I have not seen any change in their physique.
Perhaps the effect is too weak. Perhaps the effect is strong, but these people mess up by consuming more calories (since they have a belief that green tea will anyway help them reduce fat).

What about the tannins/anti-oxidants? I think it is bull. There is no way that you can ever prove that those actually do something significant to your health.
Also if you are really so concerned about antioxidants - there are more "easily/readily available" non hyped sources like fruits and perhaps raw vegetable.
Frankly, the green tea argument is like "researchers" coming up with statements like wine is great for heart. Foo-Foo.
Why shouldn't I just start eating grapes?

Hi Guys,
Been too freaking long, since i talked about health.

A small overview: I used to workout a lot during my college days. My strategy always was to go big on weights and this helped me bulk quite a bit during my 7 years of workout regime. Fitness for me was/is having a good body. I'm not a fan of all the packs and uber perfect toning. I just like a flat tummy with strong muscles and a body that allows me to wear whatever i want to.

Later Scenario: Post college, work life left me with no time and it's been 3 years since i've entered a gym. At first i did try to squat and skip and did variables of pushups and what not! But, the consistency of going to a gym was never fulfilled. In the past 3 years, i did renew my gym membership 4 times, but couldn't go for a workout.

Major issue: I am a night person. During college times, i used to workout late evenings.Have done that for 7 years. Work life leaves me with no time at late evenings. The only time i have is early morning. :( I sleep late every night and hate getting up at 6am itself for work. Forget about getting up any earlier.

Current Scenario: No workouts, have left me in a bad shape. Have gained weight and inches at the tummy section and it just overflows over every outfit i ever had. I barely fit in my pants. Although weirdly i still look bulky (just not as much as i used to look, but someone who sees me feels i'm a regular iron pumping gym member) but just not as impressive as earlier.

What i want - infact need: I want to get back in shape. Reduce my belly which overflows from all direction and get the shape back. Freaks, even sitting for a long time hurts the underbelly now! I have never maintained a diet. Funda was to eat and workout. Now, what can be done to get back in shape? I will try to squeeze in the gym time but what about diet. Will just reducing the fatty foods do the trick?

Any and every suggestion is welcomed. :)

First get lose-er pants before you hurt something in the abdomen area. Definitely no working out with those pants. As for the workout. Diet deficit and any workout combined with cardio will give you want you want. Concentrate on free weights and form of the exercises. You've worked out so you know how it goes :)

First get lose-er pants before you hurt something in the abdomen area. Definitely no working out with those pants. As for the workout. Diet deficit and any workout combined with cardio will give you want you want. Concentrate on free weights and form of the exercises. You've worked out so you know how it goes :)
Thanks for the suggestion bro. My plan was to take a "Akhada" membership. Been 3 times i renewed a heafty amount for gym and could not (or my lazy butt did not) go.
So that weights can be pumped there and run/skip every alternate day.
All this while i totally avoid, eating outside (Mcd or KFC or Dominos - Darn i'm hungry already :p ) and have sprouts or boiled stuff post eve.
Hows this plan?

Eating outside is not the problem, eating too much is the problem. You can eat Mcd/KFD/Dominos all you want, as Long as you are eating at a deficit you will lose weight, this obviously does not take into account possible ill effects on health due to lack of micro nutrients and such in junk food. I would advise a gradual tapering off of your eating, so that you are not driven crazy by thoughts of Pizza and relapse into bad eating. Do a linear progression here also, drop 1 item of unnecessary food/Snacking per day until you are on a 80-90% healthy diet.

Also personally I like to have something a little tasty (not necessairly junk food) for dinner so that I can go to bed happy, and the sleep component (extremely critical if lifting weights) of your fitness regime is easier to hold.

What i want - infact need: I want to get back in shape. Reduce my belly which overflows from all direction and get the shape back. Freaks, even sitting for a long time hurts the underbelly now! I have never maintained a diet. Funda was to eat and workout. Now, what can be done to get back in shape? I will try to squeeze in the gym time but what about diet. Will just reducing the fatty foods do the trick?

Any and every suggestion is welcomed. :)
Do check up Intermittent fasting which I feel is more conducive to being consistent instead trying to eat mini meals every 2 hours and end up being excess calories at the end of the day. Or worse - you give into your desires that end up with crash binging.

There are three major schools based on differing ways of achieving the same goal:
1. Warrior diet (actually it is not about dieting): 20-24 hrs under eating phase (including sleep) and 2-4 hrs over eating window
2. Lean gains: complete fasting for at least 16 hours (including sleep)
3. Eat stop eat: 24 hours of complete fasting (including sleep) every few days

Don't worry there is no stupid crash dietary advice here. Eat what you want (and perhaps even how much you want), just be disciplined.
And yes there will be phases where you don't eat anything. You will have to live with your hunger. That's when your body is burning fat.
(and if your insulin and glucagon hormones are working properly, you will not have any blood sugar swings - because the stored glycogen in liver can always be converted back to glucose).

Testimony?
I started in march end. Was 86 kg. (175 cm)
Today I am 78 kg. I have lost a bit of strength though - eg was able to squat 105 kg for 5-6 reps. Now I can do the same with only 95 kg. About 10% loss in strength and hence definitely some loss of muscular mass. But nevertheless reduction in waist has been astounding.

Oh and do check up the Beyond Brawn link posted earlier. I don't know what you used to do earlier in the gym, but you can make progress with even one day (perhaps sunday) per week.

Last edited:
Stronglifts and Starting strength is good but I would advise you to please have a look at the book called Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRoberts.
http://www.ironmagazine.com/ebooks/Beyond-Brawn-2nd-Edition.pdf

I would place it ahead of Stronglifts and Startingstrength simply because it forces YOU to THINK and apply, instead of blindly following a program.
In fact this is not directed towards only you, but all the readers of this thread.
This is a great read too, but more on the technical side of things. Starting Strength is more like a personal coach in the form of a book.

Back