The Fitness Thread !

Unless you believe in fairy tales spun by our scared religious texts, human being evolved over a period of time adapting to the process of walking and running on dry hard land ... barefoot. http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2007/04/humans-hot-sweaty-natural-born-runners/

When you walk/run barefoot it is very different from what happens when you wear shoes or footwear.
1. We tend to be very careful with placement of our feet. This means typically the ankle joint acts more agile. No more twisted ankles and sprains
2. We tend to land on toes instead of heels. This means no more bone jarring shock transmitting up the feet to knees and hips.
3. We tend to actually utilize the elasticity of the Achilles tendon and power of gluteus (buttocks) muscles instead of hamstrings and quadriceps, allowing us to travel farther with lesser effort.
4. We are more upright and the stride does not overextend = not striking at sharp angle to the ground = less shear on tibia = no shin splints.

So first of all when you say your legs started to pain. What does it mean?
Was it simply because of lack of training, which will improve over time ... or was it painful sensation leading to injury?
It is very difficult to describe in words what I felt.
My legs felt very heavy. Right from ankle to knee cap, it was paining. I had to slow down and walk very slowly to recover. I hardly did this for a month. So don't know of it could have had gotten better with time.

I have the same issue when I am in a hurry and try to walk very fast for some time (2+ mins). Legs become very heavy. It does not pain that much. Just that I literally have to drag my legs in the end. In the end, my stride length decreases considerably. I take very small steps and reduce speed to make my legs feel normal again.

Try stretching your legs before running. Also start of with brisk walking instead of running for now, set a target for 10 mins initially and then try to increase the time each week. Doing squats would also help strengthen your legs

It is very difficult to describe in words what I felt.
My legs felt very heavy. Right from ankle to knee cap, it was paining. I had to slow down and walk very slowly to recover. I hardly did this for a month. So don't know of it could have had gotten better with time.

I have the same issue when I am in a hurry and try to walk very fast for some time (2+ mins). Legs become very heavy. It does not pain that much. Just that I literally have to drag my legs in the end. In the end, my stride length decreases considerably. I take very small steps and reduce speed to make my legs feel normal again.
1) First of all how much is your height and how much is your weight? Male/Female?
2) How much is your waist measure (about an inch or two above the navel)?
3) What you are experiencing is simple fatigue. Body gets used to it in due course of time and exposure. You just need to be regular.
4) Did you experience the "morning after" pain and soreness in the legs/calves?
5) Take care about stride length, most people in order to increase the speed try increasing the stride length - which results in them getting shin pain. It is better to swing the legs faster with small steps in order to increase the speed than to increase the stride length. Have you seen God's must be crazy? Watch how the african fellow runs. That is the natural sustainable style of running.

Right from ankle to knee cap, it was paining.
that's your body telling you to stop!

primary culprit is your weight. you are going to destroy your knees if you continue to run against your will. and then you are beginning to feel the issues related to high uric acid levels. there are several means to reduce your weight apart from running alone. fix your weight first and then observe your form/stance/shoes/road and anything else related to running... that is, if you still want to run.

try treadmill on incline and see if you still feel the same pain. there's a difference between sweet pain (DOMS) and bad pain. you'll learn the difference as you get accustomed to exercising.

Please. For God sake do not run with incline on right away if your knees are paining.

I agree with most of the remedy posted.

1. Stop running completely. Take rest for 2 weeks complete. Shift cardio to cycling and eliptical.
2. Do start weight training for your legs. Empty bar squats, leg extensions, curls, low weight lunges. And yes. stretch properly. use foam rollers for your entire leg muscles.
Avoid foam rollers on your joints for a while if it pains a lot. stretch your IT band out.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/how-to-use-a-foam-roller.

3. Once you start running again. Start slow. Control your pace. What is your current pace? Have you tried running outside? I personally hate running on treadmills. However some extreme winter days I need to do it. But even when I am doing 10 miles. I take a break for 2 minutes when i hit 5 miles. I run at 11 minutes per mile pace. I used to be a incline guy. Will put it at the lowest possible to avoid pain on my outer arch/inner arch. But found out my shoes were the culprit. So do check your shoes. ANY running shoes is WRONG. Check your pronation. I am neutral. still I had to use a separate insole to control my fall properly.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/pronation

Key Tip - When you get spiking pain, no matter what, STOP.

4. Do this from now on. http://www.wikihow.com/Wrap-Your-Knee
Get a long as bandage and do the wrap. Wrap with sitting position and in a 8 pattern. Do not wrap with legs stretched out.

5. Have you tried using compression socks? Full length ones. Not a tight sock. proper compression socks. People say its only needed for longer runs. True. However when I started distance running, breaking the 5k, 6 miles, 1 hour running, 2 hour running, first half marathon, first 15 mile, first 19 miles, first full marathon, Each gate was my max until i overcome that. So try compression socks once your running stabilizes. They are bit expensive. here like 65USD per pair. Eeek.

6. These are just some things I picked up through my journey. Weight IS a factor for running. Lower the number, easier for you to run. However, done properly you can run like hell. There is NO need for you to run fast. No. There is not. unless, you are running to break records. or if doing fast pace is your goal. There is a thing called on feet time in running. Like say you want to run 15 miles. When you train for it, you dont always run in your race pace everyday. You do speed workout, race day pace and your slow pace. Like if you can run 10 minutes per mile on your race. Just train yourself running it 11.10 as well. To make your legs be running for longer time. Its not applicable for your case, just telling you that it helps is making your legs stronger, burn more calories and build up your endurance when you want to hit that 20 mile goal. :D.

Last edited:
Even I used to get similar pain ij the shins due to being overweight, so I completely stopped using the treadmill and running. I have the fortune of living in a place where regular walking has helped me reduce my weight by around 10kgs. Also controlling your diet helps a lot. I didn't stop eating the things I liked. Just reduced the portions. What helped me do that and was different this time than the previous times I tried controlling my diet was that I was counting my calories using Myfitnesspal.
I usually walk around 10-12kms a day in the hills and my pace is just around 4km/hr so I haven't faced any issues with my knees.
To up the ante, I will be soon investing in a good quality commercial Elliptical trainer. You can use the same in a good gym. Even my Dad who was very overweight found the Elliptical to be very gentle with the knees.

^^^

Biking. Trust me on that. If you have the option between elliptical and bike, bike always.

Avoid the comfy couch style ones. Get the Tribike style ones.

And you really should invest in compression sleeve or compression socks. It helps a lot.

Last edited:
1) First of all how much is your height and how much is your weight? Male/Female?
2) How much is your waist measure (about an inch or two above the navel)?
3) What you are experiencing is simple fatigue. Body gets used to it in due course of time and exposure. You just need to be regular.
4) Did you experience the "morning after" pain and soreness in the legs/calves?
5) Take care about stride length, most people in order to increase the speed try increasing the stride length - which results in them getting shin pain. It is better to swing the legs faster with small steps in order to increase the speed than to increase the stride length. Have you seen God's must be crazy? Watch how the african fellow runs. That is the natural sustainable style of running.
I am 5foot 5. Male. During that time my weight was 78kg (measured early morning after waking up). Waist is around 34.
I had a bit of soreness the first few days. After that the pain & heaviness used to go away within 30-45 mins of stopping the brisk walk.

that's your body telling you to stop!

primary culprit is your weight. you are going to destroy your knees if you continue to run against your will. and then you are beginning to feel the issues related to high uric acid levels. there are several means to reduce your weight apart from running alone. fix your weight first and then observe your form/stance/shoes/road and anything else related to running... that is, if you still want to run.

try treadmill on incline and see if you still feel the same pain. there's a difference between sweet pain (DOMS) and bad pain. you'll learn the difference as you get accustomed to exercising.

I have high uric acid level. Around 7.5 (my family[fathers side] has a history of high uric acid).

Any pointers on losing weight without doing cardio or joining gym?

@anuragingle I did do some stretching and warming up exercises before embarking on my brisk walk. There were a set of 6-7 exercises which I had found on some C25k website/forum. All were freehand exercises.
Current don't have time for gym as I leave very early for office and come back quite late.

Well first up, you are not too overweight, so that's half the battle won right there.
I am 5'7" and I was 110kg a few weeks ago.
You could probably lose the weight just by controlling your diet but I would say that you should seriously consider doing the exercise part as well.

The thing is, that weight alone is not an indicator of health. I can walk 12kms without any issues even when weighing 110kgs and can even cycle 50kms in one go without a problem even today.
That's because I used to play a lot of sports till a few years ago.

Just find the exercise that you can get through without getting bored and stick to it. I used to find jogging very boring, so I used to take a football along with me to the ground.

Any pointers on losing weight without doing cardio or joining gym?
Unfortunately, I am only familiar with exercises involving weights and machines found in a gym. Short, intense workouts seem to work well for me. Everybody is different and therefore, you'll come across varied opinions. I wasn't fat anytime in my life but my waist started to increase bit by bit when my gym instructor/dietician took over my daily routine. I wanted to gain muscles but these guys made be shapeless. And this was one of India's best and costliest gyms.

Anyway, @Kilroyquasar has mentioned a some good exercises that can be performed at home. Take a look:
https://www.techenclave.com/communi...n-be-done-at-home-in-15-30-mins-daily.180125/

Another non-gym routine that I come across very often is convict conditioning or prisoner workouts. It tells you some creative ways to workout with limited resources.

Avoid cardio altogether. You'll lose weight much easier with weight/resistance training. And you'll gain some muscles in the process as well. I've seen the battle of cardio-loving-fat-people Vs free_weights-loving-fat-people for a year, in one of the best gyms in India.

You'll need to try out lots of exercises and food combination and see what suits you. It took me 2.5 years to understand my body. Now, I can never gain fat. I haven't gone to gym in the last 4 years and I am getting thinner and thinner. I am a big proponent of eating right kinds of fat... may be that's why I am getting thinner.

I look like Xi now but I hate to run. I can sprint for few minutes, which can be beneficial in real life (catching a bus or thief :p).

Whatever you do, keep in touch with a good doctor. As you have uric acid issues, it's going to hamper with your workouts and high protein diet.

Join a good gym for a short time. You may gain some knowledge on how to perform certain exercises in right manner. There's no one to tell you about your form, as you are working out alone right now.

Any other health drink better than Protinex for adults?
I dont want protein powders like ON etc as i dont workout that much and they are too expensive
Just need something which will make my milk more tastier and have some vitamins and minerals in it

Any other health drink better than Protinex for adults?
I dont want protein powders like ON etc as i dont workout that much and they are too expensive
Just need something which will make my milk more tastier and have some vitamins and minerals in it
Stuff like Protinex is too general. Instead get Whey protien and if you arent working out too much, have like half or 1 scoop with milk or something else. It will last long. For other nutrients, eat healthy.

Avoid cardio altogether. You'll lose weight much easier with weight/resistance training. And you'll gain some muscles in the process as well. I've seen the battle of cardio-loving-fat-people Vs free_weights-loving-fat-people for a year, in one of the best gyms in India.
That's a pretty strong statement to make. I'd be very surprised if there's any evidence to support that. (PS: Not trying to be rude. Just think that it might spread misinformation.)

@hotshot05 If you don't want to do cardio or join a gym, you just got to watch what you eat. Count calories with a kitchen scale & any of the fitness apps & ensure that calories in < calories burned (as a result of your bodily processes). At the end of the day, that's all there is to losing weight.

started hiking lately
IMG-20160625-WA0001.jpg

That's a pretty strong statement to make. I'd be very surprised if there's any evidence to support that. (PS: Not trying to be rude. Just think that it might spread misinformation.)

From a former fatty.... :)....

Well, I would agree to that if he says with a calorie deficit diet. So its not so much as a misinformation but just partial information in my opinion.

Evidence is my eyes! :D ... They say, seeing is believing.

Weight training is a far superior method of losing fat, over cardio.

I am sure there would be lots of information/evidence available online on this topic. If there are people supporting cardio for fat loss, then there would be people in the favor of weight training as well.

Also, weight training is a better method of cardio.

I used to do a bit of cardio as well but purely from a functional standpoint. HIIT only. I don't wish to win any 20-mile marathons. Some people say that human body is designed to run for longer periods (barefoot - true) and then some say that we accustomed ourselves to fight-or-flight situations, which demand sprints for short duration. I believe in the latter. That's why HIIT only. Good for my joints too.

My weight training consisted of strictly 40 mins of heavy lifting, including warm-up and cool-off periods. Only 2 days in a week. Cardio: fortnightly for 15~20 mins. I used to do cardio with all my might, while others used to read magazines or watch TV on their machines for an hour.

There's no one who can dispute the fact that weight training burns more calories than cardio. Time being the constant. If you hate weights and love aerobics then try Interval Training.

@hotshot05 If you don't want to do cardio or join a gym, you just got to watch what you eat. Count calories with a kitchen scale & any of the fitness apps & ensure that calories in < calories burned (as a result of your bodily processes). At the end of the day, that's all there is to losing weight.
That's indeed the best advice for him!

He can achieve lot more by tweaking his diet than doing cardio or lifting.

Well, I would agree to that if he says with a calorie deficit diet. So its not so much as a misinformation but just partial information in my opinion.

No, I didn't mention anything about the diet. Counting calories is all mumbo-jumbo for me and therefore, I don't include it in my log. I can't say with 100% surety that the banana I just ate gave me 100 calories or 120. :p However, there's no confusion regarding the weights or rest time. These are only two things I log.

Diet is an important factor in weight loss but as I don't have any experience or inclination to learn more about it, I just don't discuss about it.

Weight training is a far superior method of losing fat, over cardio.

Also, weight training is a better method of cardio.

I used to do a bit of cardio as well but purely from a functional standpoint. HIIT only. I don't wish to win any 20-mile marathons. Some people say that human body is designed to run for longer periods (barefoot - true) and then some say that we accustomed ourselves to fight-or-flight situations, which demand sprints for short duration. I believe in the latter. That's why HIIT only. Good for my joints too.
Let me nitpick :)
Any method that burn more calories is more effective method. Weight training may be more effective for the exact duration it is being done. But the intensities employed in weight training typically doesn't allow one to increase the duration and frequency. e.g one can run 5 km everyday but imagine squatting everyday (only if you are olympics lifter with loads of "help")

Human body is designed for endurance runs. That is why we have super strong Achilles tendon, hairless body, sweat glands, and run/walk erect. That is why we are less strong in most movements compared to similarly sized apes and have considerably less speed too. Fight of flight is encountered by all living creatures - but no one specifically adapts for it - unless we are talking about camouflaging or using scary frill lizard tactics.
:)

Now that I have done the nitpicking, let me be clear - I hate endurance activities. I get bored. And my mind gives up before the body.
HIIT (I hope you were talking about High intensity interval training only) is a midway between intensity and endurance. And for most people who get bored with long duration effort it provides a happy medium.

No, I didn't mention anything about the diet. Counting calories is all mumbo-jumbo for me and therefore, I don't include it in my log. I can't say with 100% surety that the banana I just ate gave me 100 calories or 120. :p However, there's no confusion regarding the weights or rest time. These are only two things I log.

Diet is an important factor in weight loss but as I don't have any experience or inclination to learn more about it, I just don't discuss about it.

Well then you shouldnt advise or take part in any conversations about weight.

Not meant to be an insult. but the truth.

Why?. This is why -

I am a prime example. I always was a very active fatty. I like to bike, like to go to gym. I was even able to squat 110 kgs. 3 * 5. But kept gaining weight like crazy. Because I ate and drink like a pig.
Only when I started to learn proper healthy eating, I started to drop weight. Even today I see that. Nowadays its more like getting a lean look. I make sure I eat the proper balance of Carb, Protein, Fats etc.
Even I cannot "count" calorie. But make a very educated guess. Which anyone can do. That itself helps a lot.

I feel any anyone can attest that doing as you say with proper eating habbits will get results. No other ways about it.

Since I did make the change, many people in my group, 2nd & 3rd level contacts from fb and all message me regulary. They be like I walk, run and do everything, still chubby. Give some tips yaar.
Then I will ask them about their diet habbits. First and foremost. Since most are Indians, I am sure they have a carb rich diet. Then I tell em like curtailing the quantity. They be like, What less chaopathi? No rice? What the hell yaar. You are full of shit. you cannot survive like that. I reply, I am still breathing. So are billions of people with proper healthy eating habbits.

So my friend, I am not saying you are wrong. But you really need to convey the diet message properly.

Back