The Fitness Thread !

Domyos products are quite good from what I have seen at the Decathlon store. I was going to buy one of their Elliptical trainers before I upped my budget to a semi-commercial model.

It should actually be diet (tweaking) first.
Truly yes! But it gets too boring then :)[DOUBLEPOST=1469701959][/DOUBLEPOST]
Domyos products are quite good from what I have seen at the Decathlon store. I was going to buy one of their Elliptical trainers before I upped my budget to a semi-commercial model.
Yes they are. I drove to their Zirakpur outlet and was zapped to see the store! Now they have a lot more outlets. Yesterday I wanted to visit their Rohini outlet but had to cancel it due to heavy rain.

Hi, Can someone please tell me how many plates can be attached to a standard 14 inch dumbbell rod like the one here - http://www.snapdeal.com/product/aurion-silver-14-inches-gym/679196788964#bcrumbSearch:dumbbell rod . I'm trying to figure out what combo would work best & so wanted to know the no of plates can can go on a rod at a time. Also, would that vary by the material of the plates, such as whether they are chrome-plated or rubber-coated etc. Thanks.

Would depend on material as well as weight of the plates used. I wouldn't push it beyond 2 for the rubber ones. The nut frequently gets loose so it's better to maintain a decent margin.

Would depend on material as well as weight of the plates used. I wouldn't push it beyond 2 for the rubber ones. The nut frequently gets loose so it's better to maintain a decent margin.
Thanks for replying. So just to be sure, that's 2 per dumbbell rod or 2 on either end of a dumbbell rod (thus making it 4 per rod)?
Hoping it's not the former. But if it is that, then what are the other options/alternatives?

Thanks for replying. So just to be sure, that's 2 per dumbbell rod or 2 on either end of a dumbbell rod (thus making it 4 per rod)?
Hoping it's not the former. But if it is that, then what are the other options/alternatives?
Two on each end. Dont go for rubber, they are so big, it becomes almost unusable. Go for metal covered with plastic or something. They are smaller cause of density of the metal and weight.

Two on each end. Dont go for rubber, they are so big, it becomes almost unusable. Go for metal covered with plastic or something. They are smaller cause of density of the metal and weight.
Thanks. Will go for the metal plates then. Didn't realize the rubber ones were completely made of rubber. Thought they were metal with rubber coating on the outside. Should have realized that's what makes 'em cheaper, :).

Thanks. Will go for the metal plates then. Didn't realize the rubber ones were completely made of rubber. Thought they were metal with rubber coating on the outside. Should have realized that's what makes 'em cheaper, :).
They also stink after a few yrs, get broken into tiny rubber peices and sometimes even melt a bit. The cost difference is huge though.

They also stink after a few yrs, get broken into tiny rubber peices and sometimes even melt a bit. The cost difference is huge though.
Yeah, I'd read about those problems earlier on this very thread. I was prepared for those issues though... just need to get started, tbh. But if adding a second plate will be an issue then it isn't too useful, despite the low cost of entry.

I actually have a couple of solid old-school non-adjustable dumbbells (courtesy my elder bro) which are about 8-9 kgs each. So I wanted to look for something that would be heavier than those but also allow some room, at least initially, to add weights in increments.

If adding a second rubber plate is going to be an issue, then it really doesn't make much sense..... Unless there are any longer rods available.

Yeah, I'd read about those problems earlier on this very thread. I was prepared for those issues though... just need to get started, tbh. But if adding a second plate will be an issue then it isn't too useful, despite the low cost of entry.

I actually have a couple of solid old-school non-adjustable dumbbells (courtesy my elder bro) which are about 8-9 kgs each. So I wanted to look for something that would be heavier than those but also allow some room, at least initially, to add weights in increments.

If adding a second rubber plate is going to be an issue, then it really doesn't make much sense..... Unless there are any longer rods available.
Forget a second plate, plates of 10kg etc are as big as scooter tyres last I checked few yrs ago. Imagine one on each of the sides. You can check them out in some shop.

@kidrow - why dont you approach a fabricator in your city? there must be some who manufacture exercise equipment. you could approach them with your requirement and get the DBs (pre-made or otherwise) as per your needs.

Forget a second plate, plates of 10kg etc are as big as scooter tyres last I checked few yrs ago. Imagine one on each of the sides. You can check them out in some shop.
Whoa! That big, huh! That definitely rules out rubber for dumbbells ... I imagine the size will restrict rom, & possibly, balance. So it's probably only suited for barbells.

@kidrow - why dont you approach a fabricator in your city? there must be some who manufacture exercise equipment. you could approach them with your requirement and get the DBs (pre-made or otherwise) as per your needs.
Well, tbh, I'm a beginner. So unless I try out some of the adjustable dumbbells, I'm not sure I'd be in a position to tell someone what I want. (& well, it seems that metal plates should do the trick - but that makes it expensive, of course. So I need to decide first if I want to spend that much at this stage.)

Having said that, I do think your suggestion is a solid one. Definitely one to keep in mind. So many thanks.

Also, I'm starting to rethink my approach, since the spending will keep increasing. (I was considering it in the first place because the bumper/rubber plates are cheap to begin with). My idea was to have the dumbbells supplement my (soon-to-be) home spinning sessions, & provide some upper body workout.

Now, instead, I'm just thinking of grabbing a good book on calisthenics - something tuned for a beginner & with stages/progressions & with a specific program. Convict Conditioning, Complete Calisthenics, You Are Your Own Gym seem to be highly regarded by many. I'll probably grab something along those lines.

Again, thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Well, tbh, I'm a beginner. So unless I try out some of the adjustable dumbbells, I'm not sure I'd be in a position to tell someone what I want. (& well, it seems that metal plates should do the trick - but that makes it expensive, of course. So I need to decide first if I want to spend that much at this stage.)

Having said that, I do think your suggestion is a solid one. Definitely one to keep in mind. So many thanks.

Also, I'm starting to rethink my approach, since the spending will keep increasing. (I was considering it in the first place because the bumper/rubber plates are cheap to begin with). My idea was to have the dumbbells supplement my (soon-to-be) home spinning sessions, & provide some upper body workout.

Now, instead, I'm just thinking of grabbing a good book on calisthenics - something tuned for a beginner & with stages/progressions & with a specific program. Convict Conditioning, Complete Calisthenics, You Are Your Own Gym seem to be highly regarded by many. I'll probably grab something along those lines.

good going. pls add these too to your references-list - FitnessFAQs (on YT & SM), Ross Enamait (on YT & SM + self-website), Shifu Yan Lei , Pavel Tsatsouline, Mike Mahler or/and Matt Furey (YT, SM, website, all three), CalisthenicsKingz (YT, SM, website), exrx (website), darebee (website). first 5-6 are very much recommended!

also, if you later on decide to have a couple of DBs as well, you could msg me and I will check with a fabricator here I know. they have a showroom and a catalogue. I could discuss with them about your requirements and may be send a few pics to you if they've a ready solution. could also make out a deal if everything's fine for you and get the pieces packed and shipped to your place if you decide to purchase.

Whoa! That big, huh! That definitely rules out rubber for dumbbells ... I imagine the size will restrict rom, & possibly, balance. So it's probably only suited for barbells.

Yes, I meant 2 on one side. I've added 7.5 kg on each side and I think could add another 5 kg on each side. Metal ones are obviously better, but they were too expensive for me. Comes at around 90/kg near my house. Rubber ones are 25/kg. Although they are huge, it hasn't significantly affected my ROM. You can add the heavier disc on the outer edge. I've got 5 pairs lying around, since I find changing the weights cumbersome. Around total of 100 kg, metal ones would have been too expensive.

you can get good hex dumbells for 80/kg. I had bought a bunch and sold them last month.
Where do you live? My first dumbbells were cosco hex ones which cost me 150/kg.

I got 10kg cosco dumbbells got 1.6k
1.6k per dumbbell right?

Yes, I meant 2 on one side. I've added 7.5 kg on each side and I think could add another 5 kg on each side. Metal ones are obviously better, but they were too expensive for me. Comes at around 90/kg near my house. Rubber ones are 25/kg. Although they are huge, it hasn't significantly affected my ROM. You can add the heavier disc on the outer edge. I've got 5 pairs lying around, since I find changing the weights cumbersome. Around total of 100 kg, metal ones would have been too expensive.

Where do you live? My first dumbbells were cosco hex ones which cost me 150/kg.

1.6k per dumbbell right?
Yes

Back