User Guides The Gaming Mouse Guide

With so many gaming mice out in the market , It is simply a herculean task to get the one which would fit you right. Your skills do matter while playing a game , but couple it with a mouse and it could make a lethal combination , give you the edge which you have been looking for all along … The search for your mouse ends here. Mus musculus :cool2:

mouse1e.jpg

While getting yourself a mouse , you will have to take the following factors into consideration –

• Cost – The Most important factor , as far as I’m concerned . I would not pick up a high end MMORPG typed mouse for playing an FPS game like counter strike – While an MMORPG would cost you Rs.5000 , an FPS mouse would do good at Rs800 – All depends on the features you are looking for .

• Hand Grip & Ergonomics – Every human is an extremely unique being , with that said , He holds the mouse in many different ways , you might hold it one way and I another , It is very important that you take this into consideration and then buy the mouse , buying a mouse just for its features and not giving a damn about ergonomics is downright dumb !

There are a lot of types of mouse grips around :

• Palm Grip

• Claw Grip

• Finger Tip

• Your own method of holding , post a picture – I’m always curious

For more on this Visit – Razer Ergonomics Guide

• Sensitivity - This is one more question you will have to ask yourself before getting that little mouse to its new home and this is a highly over rated one. Higher mouse sensitivity means the mouse is more responsive to the mouse’s movements , Sensitivity is measured in DPI (Dots Per Inch – Dots per inch - The basic funda is - higher the dpi , lesser your movements . But just because the mouse has a very high sensitivity doesn’t mean that it is a better mouse – in most of the cases higher the sensitivity means your hand should be more stable , or you’d have to switch to a lower sensitivity. Some of today’s mice come with adjustable DPI while in-game , but beware the button might be in a place you don’t want to mess around with while getting fragged in the other end – right beside the tracker below the mouse . This is one of the most important things I’d like to stress – Higher DPI is a marketing hype , If you are someone who doesn’t move the mouse around much while gaming then a high dpi mouse is good , if you generally tend to move the mouse quite a bit , then a high dpi mouse isn’t your plate of mouse :p

• Macros - You have a specific command line to be performed in-game but you don’t want to type it on the keyboard ? Fear not , you have buttons on the mouse just for that purpose .This comes as a boon especially for those MMORPG game play guys – like DoTA, WoW etc. There are a lot of these types of mice in today’s market , but you might want to get yourself something that doesn’t have too many pages , and not too little , just right – like the penguin in Oswald – if you know what I mean ;)

• Other things to consider – Now the other factors mainly include wether you want your mouse wired/wireless , basically for those who have that extra pound to spend on the mouz – Really doesn’t matter , all the latency/relay lags which people say wireless mouse might experience is hardly noticeable even if it does exist, so if you are going with a good wireless mouse , then don’t have second thoughts . Next comes the bling factor , lighting ? Awesome , you don’t want lighting – Im cool :p Then , another additional feature which comes with today’s mice is the slotted weight option – this gives that extra comfort edge while playing.

--ALWAYS GET A FIRST HAND FEEL OF THE MOUSE BEFORE YOU BUY IT --

^ Once you get a mouse and then not feel good about its shape is just pointless :|

• Folks , that’s about It , (with the introduction) if you did patiently read through the factors to be considered , then I hereby pronounce you mouse literate :D

• The criterion which we are going to take in comparing the mice are

• Tracker - Scroll / Optical / Laser

• Max Resolution

• Cable Length

• Cost

Now coming down to the List of nominations …

1. Gigabyte GM-M6800

gmm6800.jpg

This is one of the cheapest gaming mice you will find in todays market but doesn’t look like something that costs as much , has pretty decent looks with the typical gaming mouse curves – but the build quality is pretty ok’ish.

• Tracker - Optical

• Max Resolution – 1600 DPI (Adjustable)

• Cable Length – 1.5 Metres ( Non Braided)

• Cost – Rs.675.

2. Logitech MX518

hirl1gtuotekuvahiirilog.jpg

Ah , the old reliable – This has been a mainstay mouse for many gamers and gaming enthuisats alike , provides a great feel for the hand and performs great ! , comes with a soft sculpted ergonomic grip which provides just the right comfort while gaming – But beware this grip might just be a turn off , wears down considerably after use .

• Tracker - Optical

• Max Resolution – 1800 DPI (Adjustable)

• Cable Length ~2metres

• Cost – 1300 Rupees ( Non Braided)

3. Razer Abyssus

38d92e64c4164911b8e772a.jpg

This is a gaming mouse made for regular computer users as well as gamers alike, containing only 3 programmable keys . But this has quite a punch , with an IR sensor inside , it makes it one of the most simplest yet accurate gaming mice yet .

• Tracker – (Infra Red) Laser

• Max Resolution – 3500 DPI

• Cable Length – 7 Ft (Non Braided)

• Cost – 1,350

4. Microsoft Intelli Explorer 3.0

microsoftwiredintellimo.jpg

Microsoft's updated IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 brings a few gamer-friendly tweaks to the design of the venerable mouse , this still is a bit buggy , but hopefully it gets resolved soon. This mouse is quite good for both normal browsing and gaming . Also , the build quality has is not that very impressive - sloppy rubber padding and plastic - needs a 4.0 imo :bleh:

• Tracker - Optical

• STANDARD Resolution – 500 DPI

• Cable Length – 1.8 metres (Non Braided)

• Cost – Rs.2000

5. Razer Death Adder

deathadder4.jpg

The current best selling mouse, has great features , build quality is great and doesn’t show signs of a lot of wear and tear on its texture. Death Adder gaming mouse has pin point accuracy and comes bundled with an excellent customization software, and two responsive thumb-side buttons .

• Tracker – (IR) Laser

• Max Resolution – 3500 DPI

• Cable Length - 7 Feet (Braided)

• Cost – 2,100 Rupees …

6. Steel Series Kinzu

jqqfb6.jpg

This is one of the most comfortable mouse you can find , looks quite ordinary , performance is pretty damn killer , and does a great job in FPS games , only downside is that It has only 1 macro button , so limited modifiable options make it less popular among those who play games where a lot of macros are used , but then people who play a lot of CS , CS: S will love it – I love this mouse , lot of professional CS gamers feel so too …

• Tracker – Optical

• Max Resolution – 3200 CPI (Counts Per Inch)

• Cable Length - 7 Feet (Braided)

• Cost – 2,100 Rupees …

7. Arctic Cooling M571
9znlky.jpg

This is quite an interesting mouse , with a new egro shape , I haven’t personally tried it , going by its looks , I’m guessing it will do quite good , comes are a pretty cheap price , haven’t really seen gaming Laser mice so cheap (TE – Dealers Paradise) , If anyone has tried this one out , please do comment on its performance , quality. Comes with slotted weights , which again is another plus .

• Tracker – Laser ( Seems it works on glass , it’s a first for me !)

• Max Resolution – 2400 DPI

• Cable Length - 1.8 Metres (Don’t know wether braided or not)

• Cost – 1250 Rupees

8. Steel Series Ikari

ikarioptical.jpg

The SS Ikari is designed with a more broader range of game generes being covered . Ikari is typically suited for FPS , MMO and RTS games . It is typically suited for people with medium sized palms , right handed design , but almost looks bilaterally symmetrical. Only downside on this one is the build quality , it just doesn’t seem to pan out properly .

• Tracker – Optical

• Max Resolution – 3200 CPI

• Cable Length - 6.5 Ft (Braided)

• Cost ~Rs.3000

9. Razer Naga

razernagarz0100280100r3.jpg

The king of all MMORPG games , this mouse is THE one if you are totally into MMORPGs like DoTA , WoW etc . With 17 Programmable Keys things can get quicker for you to perform specific command lines while in-game , this is surely one heck of a mouse – but it does come at a price…

• Tracker – Laser

• Max Resolution – 5600 DPI – MegaWOW !

• Cable Length ~2 metres

• Cost ~ 5k Rupees (Wide variation in prices)

10. Razer Mamba

razermambaf.jpg

This is certainly the most $3X!3$7 of all the mice I’ve gamed with ! The oomph factor on this one is just amazing , Smooth curves , dashing looks and the bling all add up to give one hell of a mouse ! Wireless or Wired the mamba is just drop dead gorgeous , this one would make quite a big hole in your pocket , so caveat emptor !

• Tracker – Laser

• Max Resolution – 5600 DPI – MegaWOW !

• Cable Length - :p

• Cost - 7k Rupees

• Battery Life ~14 hours , continous gaming

That’s about it for now , I guess that’s a small bit of information on gaming mice , tonnes out there , which are not included in this list – Make sure you find the right one for you , good luck !

Also , Im making a small table of sorts which I'd include in the top , some what of a reckoner which will give all the needed data , Currently in progress , will add it once I'm done .

PS : All criticisms and comments welcomed , my first guide/tutorial – I do have a lot to learn so please help me do that , Also if any typographical errors found , then please do leave a comment , will be very thankful to you for that bit of help .

I hope you found this article useful,

Thank You :)

Back