PC Peripherals The High End Audio Thread

Decadent_Spectre said:
klipsch...period beats the shit out of any of those onkyos/B&Ws/ etc

altec is pretty good too in their professional range for theaters
I think Klipsch's horn tweters are way to bright for my taste. When it comes to real high end stuff.....klipsch is not there.....at par with B&W, Martin Logan, Magnepan etc.

and regarding Eazy's frnds's case.......... well.... the quality of sound you get from ur HT depends as much on the room acoustics as much on ur hardware.

I dont know how many of you know about a new technology that has been introduced in the market by Yamaha. Its called ......Digital Sound Projector.
Its a single sound projector .which consists off 42 drivers............that projects sound in different directions depending upon ur room dimensions and makes you feel the surround sound effect.
chk out this for more details
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/YamahaYSP-1DigitalSoundProjector1.php

and this

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/

Unfortunately this remains true about the recordings done today, they are done too "hot". Most Cd recordings today have only 3 db of dynamic overhead left, and that totally sucks a**
compare this with older cd recordings done in 80s and early 90s, like Bruce springsteen's recordings, Pearl Jam - Ten, and a few Dire straits Cds, and you will get to know how good recorded cds sound.

One of the best examples of badly and loudly recorded cds is linkin park - hybrid theory, it's done so loud that it actually clips and crackles :S

deejay said:
also IMHO,

The golden age of audio was 1970's and early 80's. Both for source material;) and equipments.;).
we dont have that good song writers and players /performers anymore too. previously the songs / music used to actually affect ur mind and soul now sadly it is all about remix and bps (beats per second). That spirit is just not there anymore. Infact regrettably an entire generation (post-1980) has grown up listening to audio in the "loudness ON" mode of the amps.:no:

I too believe that some of the best music was produced in the late 60's right upto the early 80's and it was during the 70's that good sound equipment was introduced into the market. Call me a Dinosaur but if I listen to music it is mostly Classic Rock of the 60's 70's and early 80's. :)

I am from the old school of thought that says if you are buying Speakers buy only BRITISH - here are some known brands.....B&W KEF Wharfdale Mission Celestion Tannoy Meridian Cambridge and many more... British Speakers were known for their LAID BACK sound quality unlike the American and Japanese speakers which were those days called BRASH and IN-YOUR-FACE sound. The only American speakers I thought came close to the BRITISH sound were the AR's and in the Japanese speakers the Yamaha's Natural Sound Speakers were nice sounding.

I heared a couple of the current B&W's and they did not seem to be from the same lineage as my old B&W DM6 and the B&W 801's. But I suppose the current music and front end (that is the Audio CD and DVD players) require this new sound. I dont listen to music that much anymore and I have lost interest in Audio Hardware.... look at the cost of the hardwares nowdays - SHOCKING !!! :O

sambit said:
I think Klipsch's horn tweters are way to bright for my taste. When it comes to real high end stuff.....klipsch is not there.....at par with B&W, Martin Logan, Magnepan etc.

I dont know how many of you know about a new technology that has been introduced in the market by Yamaha. Its called ......Digital Sound Projector.
Its a single sound projector .which consists off 42 drivers............that projects sound in different directions depending upon ur room dimensions and makes you feel the surround sound effect.

Man this thread is rekindling interests in me for Audio hardware ....again... I do not want to buy any Audio junk now !!! :ashamed:

About the Yamaha 42 speaker thingy... here is something which I did about 20 odd years back... a friend came across this article in a American magazine of using 16 different 5 inch full range speakers in a cabinet - using different speakers so that they would each have a different resonating bass frequency and there would be no dead low frequencies - so 32 speakers were used and the sound was very clean in the mids but the low low and hi highs were missing ..... I had 2 15" Wharfdale speakers with 2 Wharfdale 2/3 way crossovers lying around - so we made 2 cabinets for these which were made of thin ply with a hollow space of one inch between the walls into which we filled sand :) Now the BASS was fantastic and the mids were great but the highs were - :hap5: just not there ... So got 2 Wharfdale 3" tweeters and the system was nice - total 36 speakers - BUT I fealt a dead area in the centre of the sound stage did not seem complete so I found a 12" full range Jensen speaker lying around and put this in a box and used it as the centre speaker by connecting its wire to the 2 positive terminals on my - at that time - McIntosh 60w/c Tube amp. THAT was some sound !! Had to dismantle it after the neighbours complained often about the NOISE !!

This whole experience was fun :clap:

Even today, good recordings are made by Telarc and Chesky. But unfortunately, most of common stuff we listen to isnt produced here. They mostly have western classical, blues, jazz stuff. If you read the reviews of any high end audio product, the reviewer will be using mainly Telarc and Chesky recordings.

@Amol, Ten is not a very well recorded cd. I've read about it in a couple of speaker reviews, and they said it sounds rather muddled. But I just love the music though :hap2:

Last edited by a moderator:
deejay said:
Very true.!!!!!

we dont have that good song writers and players /performers anymore too. previously the songs / music used to actually affect ur mind and soul now sadly it is all about remix and bps (beats per second). That spirit is just not there anymore. Infact regrettably an entire generation (post-1980) has grown up listening to audio in the "loudness ON" mode of the amps.:no:

Well I dare to disagree.... there are equally good songwriters/performers and maybe even better ones than 1970s/80s. The only thing is that you need to look beyond the generic commercial garbage dished out by MTV ;). Move to the indie/semi indie scene and there are still loads and loads of artists that are exceptionally brilliant. May not suit you if you only listen to classic rock of the floyd/ledzep/yes era but the european underground metal scene is as lively as ever. As far as american music is concerned, i can count the number of good bands on my fingertips :p.

Eazy said:
This whole experience was fun :clap:
there is nothing like DIY stuff :hap2:

About the music. well.........u can never get back those days of floyd, jim morrison, GNR

but I think the quality of recordings havent really degraded........ just that the quality of music isnt there,so we think the recording itself is bad

Eazy said:
Man this thread is rekindling interests in me for Audio hardware ....again... I do not want to buy any Audio junk now !!! :ashamed:
Well, maybe u could sell it to me then. :eek:hyeah:
U seem to have this magical gift of good stuff dropping onto you from the heavens. :hap2:

zhopudey said:
Well, maybe u could sell it to me then. :eek:hyeah:
U seem to have this magical gift of good stuff dropping onto you from the heavens. :hap2:

Sell you what ? I only have the KEF BBC monitors attached to my second computer with a smallish Pioneer Amp.

The other Audio stuff I have - Creatives Soundworks 2.1 speakers - highs and mids are good but bass is pathetic. I have a Polk Audio 2.1 set for the computer but is so bad that I dont use it and on my main comp I use the Altecs 621's.

Something you may not know is that in the 80's when there was no Internet people used to put ads in the Times of India Mumbai Classifieds section and there used to be about a 100 ads for Audio hardware each Wednesday. Terrific bargains at times. This is where most of the hardware was bought and sold. No heavenly bodies were involved .... :tongue:

When I sold off all my Audio hardware I saw an Ad in the TOI for a KEF 104AB speaker and the price of 3k was sooooo good that I bought it - but I had no amp and no source to play it from so when a friend went down on his knees begging to buy the speakers off me I sold them to him - I have always regretted having sold those fabulous speakers.

this thread deserves a bump :lol: eazy you really know how to make people turn green

LOL was just goin thru some old posts of Eazy where he mentioned a Linn TT with an SME 5... just in case folks are wondering, that tonearm itself costs north of 7000$ now.

^^Man one day I need to pay a visit to a high end audio setup owner and listen to some nice music.....I am hardly an audiophile but this thread kind of kindles that desire

Where did this OLD thread come back from !! :eek:hyeah:

A while back I met Burge Cooper who is a partner in Audio Vision India.... check out their web pages.... in this place if you ask "how much does that cost" then you most probably cannot afford it :eek:hyeah:

Audio Vision India Pvt. Ltd.

... meanwhile .... I am going back to listening to my 70's classic rock on my Audigy 2 / Altec 621's ... :)

Eazy said:
... meanwhile .... I am going back to listening to my 70's classic rock on my Audigy 2 / Altec 621's ... :)
Wow you're into 70's rock... which bands? Toto, The Who, REO Speedwagon, Boston, Uriah Heep and the like? :)

RiO said:
Wow you're into 70's rock... which bands? Toto, The Who, REO Speedwagon, Boston, Uriah Heep and the like? :)

When I am online I normally have Virgin Radio's classic rock radio station playing thru Winamp .... most of what they play on this station is stuff I have heard before... Dont care for any of the bands you named :p ... my taste is more towards Zeppelin Floyd Doors Stones Clapton

Back