The iMac 2021 lineup .. worth buying ?

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
surprisingly no thread for the new 2021 Mac lineup in TE ?..
here it goes - https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/22/new-m1-imac-vs-intel-imac/#h-m1-imac-vs-intel-wrap-up

i was waiting for a year for this refresh but this make me sad and confused.. upgrade or not to upgrade.
everything is in a single chip, and ram locked at 8gb, storage maxed out at 512gb. and 24inch .. definitely going to dislike after using 27"..
except the M1 chip i don't see any point buying this . its merely a blown up iphone/ipad.

i should have replaced my ageing setup with Core i7 8-core instead of this wait.

what are thought for fellow member, if this is going to be a system mostly used for Photoshop (extremely high-end professional works) and some audio/video editing.? shall i go with the old gen imac and bump the ram to 64+gb .. good enough for another 6-8 years ?

Looking at your use case, this iMac will not work for you as it is targeted for basic/casual/home user’s daily activities. Maybe you have to wait for M1X iMac as it will be for professional use and might come sooner as Apple already discontinued iMac Pro.

Don't think you will be able to get an M1X iMac before first week of December. So if you are OK with that time frame, you should wait. And yes, no point switching down to the 24" from a 27" machine.

Don't think you will be able to get an M1X iMac before first week of December. So if you are OK with that time frame, you should wait. And yes, no point switching down to the 24" from a 27" machine.
timeframe is ok. but if its priced 4-5L then it not worth or afordable for me.
Since it wil be 31inch screen so seems tempting...

Get a Mac Mini if possible and use it with external monitor. Otherwise wait for 27" model as it will most probably feature M1Xl.
Mac mini will be underpowered for my user case.
Also - the vital point is the display, no other monitor is nearly good as mac displays.. plus the hastle of matching colorspace is really pain in the back.
I would have taken the ryzen route long back with windows, sadly most of the display selling companies are riding the "gaming" marketing gimmic.

timeframe is ok. but if its priced 4-5L then it not worth or afordable for me.
Since it wil be 31inch screen so seems tempting...

Mac mini will be underpowered for my user case.
Also - the vital point is the display, no other monitor is nearly good as mac displays.. plus the hastle of matching colorspace is really pain in the back.
I would have taken the ryzen route long back with windows, sadly most of the display selling companies are riding the "gaming" marketing gimmic.
Given the choice to me, I will choose a Pro Display XDR and the most powerful and portable MacBook to pair it with. But that's me as I don't need really powerful graphics but I love the eye candy that a 6K monitor can provide in the daily workflows.

Definitely expensive because nothing like it exist anywhere else but totally worth it if you have the means. After using Retina displays in Mac I am not going back to anything Non-Retina ever again.

Retina display is just brand speak for 'high pixel density'. Which in turn means the pixels should not be discernible to the eye.

You can always buy an LG ultrafine monitor (27" 5K) and use it with a Mac Mini if you so desire. Will be able to upgrade the display or the machine independently.

I bought a 32" 4K monitor which I am using with my Macbook and from the viewing distance of the monitor, it is retina enough for me. It is also matte display so I like it better than the glossy ones on mac devices. Lastly, I can use it with my windows laptop too.

Wouldn't want to comment on the colorspace matching as I am no professional photoshop user.

Retina display is just brand speak for 'high pixel density'. Which in turn means the pixels should not be discernible to the eye.

You can always buy an LG ultrafine monitor (27" 5K) and use it with a Mac Mini if you so desire. Will be able to upgrade the display or the machine independently.

I bought a 32" 4K monitor which I am using with my Macbook and from the viewing distance of the monitor, it is retina enough for me. It is also matte display so I like it better than the glossy ones on mac devices. Lastly, I can use it with my windows laptop too.

Wouldn't want to comment on the colorspace matching as I am no professional photoshop user.
Well technically anything Retina is around 218 PPI give or take, that's why we see odd resolutions for different sizes. Distance does factors in, totally agree with that point especially for size as large as 32". The closest I have seen on non ultra fine monitors is 196 PPI for 24" 4K LG and was very close to pulling trigger on one few months back. Congrats for the new display. Do share your experience here.

Any idea if Mac Mini 8GB-256GB combo would be good enough for app development?
Yes it is more than good enough. The project compile times are much better than a fully souped up Macbook Pro 13 running on Intel. You can run multiple simulators in parallel and still get that performance advantage.

surprisingly no thread for the new 2021 Mac lineup in TE ?..
here it goes - https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/22/new-m1-imac-vs-intel-imac/#h-m1-imac-vs-intel-wrap-up

i was waiting for a year for this refresh but this make me sad and confused.. upgrade or not to upgrade.
everything is in a single chip, and ram locked at 8gb, storage maxed out at 512gb. and 24inch .. definitely going to dislike after using 27"..
except the M1 chip i don't see any point buying this . its merely a blown up iphone/ipad.

i should have replaced my ageing setup with Core i7 8-core instead of this wait.

what are thought for fellow member, if this is going to be a system mostly used for Photoshop (extremely high-end professional works) and some audio/video editing.? shall i go with the old gen imac and bump the ram to 64+gb .. good enough for another 6-8 years ?
Not really surprising, these are mostly PC users forum where we had the liberty to custom made pc hence needed discussion & consultation, however with M1 unified memory & storage many users like you & me who use machine for heavy image & video editing on 4k 4.2.2 footage are finding that this base machine of 8gb ram is able to seemliness edit & scrubbing across the timeline. Similar PC today will be costing 2.5 lakh upwards & yet the bulk size & power consumption is way more that imac. Apple is able to do this speed gain only bcoz everything is on the chip & no 3rd party configuration needed. M1 8gb ram is 4X faster so dont just go by the number look at the benchmarks & real word video /photo edit test.

Ram is up-gradable at the time of purchase so for extra 20K you get 16gb ram version same for the internal ssd which is super fast & external ssd wont give you those speeds unless its thunderbolt 3 ssd, you can have 1tb storage for 20K & 2tb for 40K. Just configure your choice version apple India website.

I am planning to get Mac mini M1 16gb ram 1TB storage costing 125000/- but another configuration I have in my mind is imac 24" M1 16gb with 1TB storage costing 199000/-
The price difference is quite a lot so just figuring out if I need that Retina display.
Watch this video to understand why M1 chips are a game changer
This guys bench marked both the version & this should help.

Back