The Indian Politics Thread

Sei

Skilled
I feel that there is a need for a general politics thread. There has been unwarranted interest in the AAP thread and most members are keen to share their opinions on the state of Indian politics.

I'll start the discussion with the most weird news I have heard recently: "Telangana bill cleared amid din, mysterious TV blackout of Lok Sabha".

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...lackout-of-Lok-Sabha/articleshow/30636533.cms

What the hell is going on these days? This is totally unprecedented, especially for a nation that prides itself as the world's largest democracy.

We're the largest democracy just because we're populous, it doesn't make us anywhere close to being the greatest, or even remotely good for that matter.

The educated, and the intellectuals suffer because of the dumb and the dull, because the later are in large numbers and will vote their caste/religion/regional person into power rather than voting on issues.

However, these non-thinkers aren't even aware of the suffering that they are putting themselves and their coming generations into.

The core issue: The education system has been unable to give our people the ability to think rationally, and in fact there just isn't enough education infrastructure/teachers.

There has been unwarranted interest in the AAP thread and most members are keen to share their opinions on the state of Indian politics.
What do ppl make of this idea..

AAP is going to cut into UPA's vote and dilute their chances in the next general elections ?

I know what I am going to type is idiotic. But Its always in my mind.

People want Lokpal bill. India is biggest democracy. For the people, By the people, Of the people. What the hell is stopping people?
When did we cease to be a democracy?.

I dont support AAP or their Antics. But yes, AAP has made INC and BJP and Communists literally scared. Coz people now have a alternative.
But anyone beyond delhi knows? Anyone in rural india where there is no social media or internet or forums knows they exist? The broom is for AAP, do they know?

Sad state this nation has become. Cricket, Movies and Politics. 3 Things India wants and cares. Rest all, chalta hai. :(

Shouldn`t we have "How to make India/Indian politics better" thread OR "Vote for better Candidate" thread instead on discussing this shit, happening in India from decades ?

The name is generic. You can talk about whatever you want. Though I am not sure how you plan to make politics better by writing here on TE.

We're the largest democracy just because we're populous, it doesn't make us anywhere close to being the greatest, or even remotely good for that matter.

The educated, and the intellectuals suffer because of the dumb and the dull, because the later are in large numbers and will vote their caste/religion/regional person into power rather than voting on issues.

However, these non-thinkers aren't even aware of the suffering that they are putting themselves and their coming generations into.

The core issue: The education system has been unable to give our people the ability to think rationally, and in fact there just isn't enough education infrastructure/teachers.

This is the one aspect I am really sad about. I sincerely feel that there should be some sort of minimal educational qualification required for a politician as well. Why do we have only goondas and businessmen trying to enter politics? The middle-class gets caught and suffers badly. I am not even talking about what happens to the poor.

Look at this nonsense below. How does it reflect on our society when our dumb f$%^ing lawmakers are doing this in Parliament? Look at the dum dums smiling in the background. It's a piece of joke, an amusement sitting there deciding our future. All in good fun, eh?

qqcoeadzcaabosceqzbcsabrod

http://zeenews.india.com/news/natio...etas-now-strip-slap-for-democracy_912577.html

The best part: Azam Khan later told reporters that they should have stripped in their entirety and we would have seen their real "manliness".

:mad::mad::mad:

What do ppl make of this idea..

AAP is going to cut into UPA's vote and dilute their chances in the next general elections ?
More so, AAP is going to cut into BJP's vote, who were relying on the anti-UPA vote to win the elections. UPA, or rather the queen bee Sonia Gandhi knows that they have a slim chance of winning these elections. She had mentioned in an interview herself. They are relying on AAP to garner all anti-UPA votes so that they can provide external support and still be in power.

I know what I am going to type is idiotic. But Its always in my mind.

People want Lokpal bill. India is biggest democracy. For the people, By the people, Of the people. What the hell is stopping people?
When did we cease to be a democracy?.

I dont support AAP or their Antics. But yes, AAP has made INC and BJP and Communists literally scared. Coz people now have a alternative.
But anyone beyond delhi knows? Anyone in rural india where there is no social media or internet or forums knows they exist? The broom is for AAP, do they know?

Sad state this nation has become. Cricket, Movies and Politics. 3 Things India wants and cares. Rest all, chalta hai. :(

What you have written is not idiotic. But it's the mentality of the people in India now to not care. We have become apathetic over the years. I am including myself. Politics has become increasingly dumb because it's only about Modi vs Gandhi vs Kejriwal. No one is talking about their agendas: foreign policy, healthcare, education etc. The media and the politicians have created this clever tactic of keeping the people distracted and not ask the larger questions. :(

Awareness is the word, i guess.
I totally agree. Please share your views here so that others can gain from your experience. And I mean that sincerely, without any sarcasm.

I totally agree. Please share your views here so that others can gain from your experience. And I mean that sincerely, without any sarcasm.

I don`t want go in details, "Indian Politics" has been discussed almost everywhere... People (rather say We) chew the topic and ask/demand/rant about things, when it comes to contributing to as an individual they are nowhere to be seen...

I joined TOI`s "Teach India" campaign and was active for 2-3 years... Willing to re-join as life gets settled down after marriage.

I am firm believer - To make things better, it has to be start from you as an individual.

More so, AAP is going to cut into BJP's vote, who were relying on the anti-UPA vote to win the elections. UPA, or rather the queen bee Sonia Gandhi knows that they have a slim chance of winning these elections. She had mentioned in an interview herself.

So AAP will cut into both but will UPA be affected the most is the question ?

Ideologically speaking, AAP is closer to UPA than to BJP.

They are relying on AAP to garner all anti-UPA votes so that they can provide external support and still be in power.
A replay of Delhi but AAP joins the UPA.

If the AAP does join the UPA, they stand to lose all their credibility. For that matter, they can only consider outside support for the NDA, or sitting in the opposition ideally speaking.

On the Ideology front, AAP doesn't have an Ideology( or atleast a follower of any mainstream ideaology) that is what makes it so unique and refreshing. It opens it up to a plethora of ideas and boundless possibilities, constantly able to surprise and innovate. Borrowing a little from here and a little from there. While the centre of it being public welfare. They cant have a anti corporate policy as Arvind said at CCI.

The fact is that most of the corruption takes place when you follow an ideology or a policy. Cause you are then pitched against people who oppose that ideology and the whole rut of token protests begins. I'd much rather have an intension based party doing whats best for people and being transparent and open to new ideas not ideas from medieval age or ideas leaning heavily towards one or the other side.

If you talk pragmatically, UPA's policy is corruption and populism. BJP's policy is communalism and the sword of going back to middle ages with Hindu hardliners. All the rest is just words spewed out to maintain a public facade.

Last edited:
If the AAP does join the UPA, they stand to lose all their credibility. For that matter, they can only consider outside support for the NDA, or sitting in the opposition ideally speaking.
There is absolutely no way that AAP will support the UPA. But then Kiran Bedi will come out on every channel and shout her ass off on how they should collaborate with other parties, and have a common minimum program and how coalition is the future and AAP is being arrogant. Blah. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

If you talk pragmatically, UPA's policy is corruption and populism. BJP's policy is communalism and the sword of going back to middle ages with Hindu hardliners. All the rest is just words spewed out to maintain a public facade.

This is the very reason why AAP seems to be working and creating an interested voter base. BJP & CONG have no option but to borrow from AAP if they want to reachout to thoughtful India.
Communalism and Populism has ruined us. Journey on AAP path is definately gonna be tough but worthwhile. It gives a chance of better India devoid of any rubbish social norms and heirarchy.

I don`t want go in details, "Indian Politics" has been discussed almost everywhere... People (rather say We) chew the topic and ask/demand/rant about things, when it comes to contributing to as an individual they are nowhere to be seen...

I joined TOI`s "Teach India" campaign and was active for 2-3 years... Willing to re-join as life gets settled down after marriage.

I am firm believer - To make things better, it has to be start from you as an individual.

What you are doing is great. One of my close friends had also joined Teach India for around 2 years. He seemed happier to me than when he was working in I$%^. But the sad part right now is that the goons who are sitting in parliament don't give a damn about education. They are much more happy if the people are uneducated and ignorant.

So AAP will cut into both but will UPA be affected the most is the question ?

Ideologically speaking, AAP is closer to UPA than to BJP.
A replay of Delhi but AAP joins the UPA.

How people vote in the north and middle-India is very different from how they vote in the East and the South.

There is more proliferation of caste-based and region-based politics in the south and the east. I don't think there is even a strong Congress or BJP presence there. Regional parties rule the roost and Congress is always ready to bend over just to be in power. Congress has an advantage here since they allow the allies to do whatever they want and shower them with money (grants). BJP is generally not so accommodating. AAP is going to face a tough time here as well but they are going the safe way and recruiting people who are local heroes and well recognized within the community. So, I don't think they are going to cut into BJP or the Congress vote here, but rather into the votebank of the regional parties.

However, in the north, there is no strong anti-BJP statement. It has already won in 4 states. There is a strong anti-UPA vibe and AAP will make a strong dent here because most of its candidates are more identifiable to the local populace.

Interesting to read the above comments where several of us are wondering whether AAP would hit UPA or the NDA more.

I wonder why, despite seeing the two major political factions come hand in hand against almost all reformist measures, do we still find it so hard to acknowledge in our hearts that the present democracy is not about NDA and UPA being alternatives. They seem to be, from impirical evidence; illusions of alternatives given to the masses by the powers that be (read: the major business families).

If one looks at macro politics, there is close zero differential between the BJP and the Congress. The differential comes in on rhetoric. Rhetoric like Pakistan, Hindu nationalism, Pseudo Secularism, Appeasement, and last but probably the biggest one word rhetoric of all: "Governance"

In trying to simplify things for the non-thinking crowd, the propagandists seem to have made "Governance" sound like the holy grail. The solutions to today's issues is in governments looking to "govern" less and enable more.

In fact, we're suffering from too much red-tapism, crony capitalism, and inefficiency in the name of governance which has crippled our productivity, and the 16 Lakh crore of public spending is proof enough. And yet, the very basic enablers like law and order, transparency, free markets, efficient judiciary, and most of all, a strong education infrastructure are absent. Hell, both the parties stand together on keeping the status quo.

Time for us to probably consider that the solution to issues these is not in buzzwords of governance, but in bringing transparency to functioning of the government, which is a prerequisite for free markets.

Once we have free markets, the economy would naturally move towards maximizing value in the long run.

Besides law and order, education, and defense, At most, the government can look at working towards having strong market regulators to ensure crony capitalism is kept in check as far as possible.

Just my two cents.

Was looking at the rajya sabha proceedings last night. Was even worse than a fish market. Some dumb Mp's were in the well of the house shouting at the top of their voices and littering the place with torn placards. The speaker wasn't even bothered by them and carried on with taking votes in the house in all that noise.
Amid all this shouting and ayes and noes (totally weird way of passing resolutions imo) the Telengana bill was passed.
No wonder our country is in bad health. Most of these winning Mp's don't care about anything. Like bunch of stupid wayward school kids who bunked classes and are playing in mud.

This is the very reason why AAP seems to be working and creating an interested voter base. BJP & CONG have no option but to borrow from AAP if they want to reachout to thoughtful India.
All the AAP has to date is talk. They are completely unproven. You really think people are going to take a chance with an unknown. I think the young city folk will but out in the villages it will be same old same old.

Communalism and Populism has ruined us. Journey on AAP path is definately gonna be tough but worthwhile. It gives a chance of better India devoid of any rubbish social norms and heirarchy.
Populism is an essential component for every political party if they want to attract votes. To me and so far all the AAP amounts to is populism. Mob rule. A yearning to rejig the way things are. That scares me as we know what we have. AAP is uncertainty, this is bad for investment. It's bad because everybody gets bearish with their money.

[DOUBLEPOST=1392999780][/DOUBLEPOST]
How people vote in the north and middle-India is very different from how they vote in the East and the South.
Good point. The views here are relative and reflect the region from where the poster comes from.

Back