The Indian Politics Thread

Was looking at the rajya sabha proceedings last night. Was even worse than a fish market. Some dumb Mp's were in the well of the house shouting at the top of their voices and littering the place with torn placards. The speaker wasn't even bothered by them and carried on with taking votes in the house in all that noise.
All they could do to voice dissent :(

Amid all this shouting and ayes and noes (totally weird way of passing resolutions imo) the Telengana bill was passed.
This is the way its been for hundreds of years in many countries. A quick show of support or not by elected representatives.

No wonder our country is in bad health. Most of these winning Mp's don't care about anything. Like bunch of stupid wayward school kids who bunked classes and are playing in mud.
They have their eye on the ball, the future of their party and damn everything else !!

This is the very reason why AAP seems to be working and creating an interested voter base. BJP & CONG have no option but to borrow from AAP if they want to reachout to thoughtful India.
Communalism and Populism has ruined us. Journey on AAP path is definately gonna be tough but worthwhile. It gives a chance of better India devoid of any rubbish social norms and heirarchy.

Its another myth that AAP doesn't take the populist route.

AAP's 700 liter water, reduction in electricity prices is as populist as they come. The other parties (Congress, BJP, SP, BSP, DMK, AIADMK, RJD, BJD, NC, NCP, SS etc etc) all dole out soaps based on caste/in the name of helping the poor (laptops, bicycle and whatnot)

From the 2014 elections, I want to see one of the following:
1. BJP coming to power and NaMo becoming PM. I'll chuckle when his govt goes the Yeddy route.
2. AAP becoming kingmaker - then AK will support someone (probably the secular front of Mamata Bannerjee+Jayalalitha+Nitish Kumar+all those small/smaller parties who want power) and then do a dharna every single time things don't go his way.
3. Congress should get routed. I can't imagine someone like Sushil Kumar Shinde becoming prime minister! :shudder:

And on a side note, since this thread is about Indian politics, in the hypothetical scenario of UPA-3, who do you guys see as the PM?

I'm sure the Congress will play the martyr card again and not make RahulG as the PM (similar to SoniaG).
Will it be one of the key ministers in the govt right now or will it be a complete outsider? (similar to what had happened with MMS in UPA-1)

Last edited:
And on a side note, since this thread is about Indian politics, in the hypothetical scenario of UPA-3, who do you guys see as the PM?

I'm sure the Congress will play the martyr card again and not make RahulG as the PM (similar to SoniaG).
Will it be one of the key ministers in the govt right now or will it be a complete outsider? (similar to what had happened with MMS in UPA-1)
MMS sais he won't rule it out nor rule it in.

How about Chiddu ?

Personally i think it should have been Pranab but these ambitions did not work out too well for him in the past.

Last edited:
Its another myth that AAP doesn't take the populist route.

AAP's 700 liter water, reduction in electricity prices is as populist as they come. The other parties (Congress, BJP, SP, BSP, DMK, AIADMK, RJD, BJD, NC, NCP, SS etc etc) all dole out soaps based on caste/in the name of helping the poor (laptops, bicycle and whatnot)

From the 2014 elections, I want to see one of the following:
1. BJP coming to power and NaMo becoming PM. I'll chuckle when his govt goes the Yeddy route.
2. AAP becoming kingmaker - then AK will support someone (probably the secular front of Mamata Bannerjee+Jayalalitha+Nitish Kumar+all those small/smaller parties who want power) and then do a dharna every single time things don't go his way.
3. Congress should get routed. I can't imagine someone like Sushil Kumar Shinde becoming prime minister! :shudder:

It was populism that was actually sane. You paid for the whole amount of water if you exceeded that. It did two things -Made people conserve water and charged the hight users for full amount. Its what you call responsible populism. :)

The existing slab system does that already. How is AAP's way any better.

We can't say (objectively with figures) because its too early to tell.

The existing slab system does that already. How is AAP's way any better.

We can't say (objectively with figures) because its too early to tell.
Water is a basic necessity. No one manufactures waters as such. There is minimum cost to provide it in cities and mostly infrastructure costs. You can dig a borewell and get free water for lifetime and degrade the watertable. What this does is give free water to users that need it and gets full cost from those that require more. So basically the full cost of delivery etc is taken from consumers who are using it either in excess or commercially. Which again makes sense.

Also no one cares about the slabs. the bill difference isnt as much as 0 to full bill amount. Now that is something that makes you think "Damn that poop didnt require two buckets of water, must conserve next time."

Depending on the area, bore wells are already not feasible, as water table is too low.

Giving free water to those that need it and making people that can pay think ? ie still higher rates for those that actually pay. They will consume less but pay less too. So less money available for upgrades, maintenance etc.

can't say what improvement this policy brings. other than the sop of free water for how long is it ? 3 months if below a certain figure. What was the need for that. That water was not free so its going to get taken out later from those that pay anyway.

MMS sais he won't rule it out nor rule it in.

How about Chiddu ?

Personally i think it should have been Pranab but these ambitions did not work out too well for him in the past.
it will be chiddu, if UPA were to come to power.
that was the reason of not declaring a PM candidate in the first place.

Depending on the area, bore wells are already not feasible, as water table is too low.

Giving free water to those that need it and making people that can pay think ? ie still higher rates for those that actually pay. They will consume less but pay less too. So less money available for upgrades, maintenance etc.

can't say what improvement this policy brings. other than the sop of free water for how long is it ? 3 months if below a certain figure. What was the need for that. That water was not free so its going to get taken out later from those that pay anyway.
Yeah those areas are mostly desert areas. Borewells and pumps can do huge depths.
And seriously, that's your answer? When borewells can be dug at 99% of places in the cities you chose that as defense?

I know you are shit scared of change its obvious. You are more scared of how the markets will react and all. Its natural, but given that line of thought and the fact that even Gandhi is severely criticized in our country, you will want us to forever be stuck with Congress and BJP thugs.

PS- NCP workers attacked AAP office in Mumbai. Looks like someone is getting scared.

Yeah those areas are mostly desert areas. Borewells and pumps can do huge depths.
And seriously, that's your answer? When borewells can be dug at 99% of places in the cities you chose that as defense?
I'm not the one on the defensive here :)

In my city they are making rain water harvesting mandatory now. Collect water from the roof, then pump it into the ground.

I know you are shit scared of change its obvious. You are more scared of how the markets will react and all. Its natural, but given that line of thought and the fact that even Gandhi is severely criticized in our country, you will want us to forever be stuck with Congress and BJP thugs.
COngress & BJP have shown themselves fit to win at the state level for many years now. They are a known quantity. What does AAP amount to ? The CM just stepped down shortly after winning.

AAP said free water for 3 months, people are going to have to pay up after those 3 months.

What difference has their policy made ?

This is just one example. Care to cite any other examples of their policy. Too soon isn't it.

And the general elections are what 2 months away if that. You want people to back the AAP based on a month or two of experience ?

Are you serious !!

I'd like the balance of power to shift now & then. Alternating between BJP & Congress would be an improvement over the status quo. And even that isn't certain.

PS- NCP workers attacked AAP office in Mumbai. Looks like someone is getting scared.
You wish ?

Maratis are stuck with NCP until bankruptcy. Nobody from maha that i've chatted with seriously considers that there are any alternatives to NCP for the short to medium term. That's sad.

Last edited:
I'd like the balance of power to shift now & then. Alternating between BJP & Congress would be an improvement over the status quo. And even that isn't certain.

Seriously? Improvement? They have been working together all these years. I would love to see someone disrupt their merrymaking.

I thought MMS said in one of the press conference that he was not in the running for the PM's post (and thus my question earlier)

But yeah I think Chidambaram might be in the running but he's not really a "mass leader" and the Congress doesn't have any in their ranks right now anyways.. besides, I read an article on the NDTV website where it said that he might not even win the election from Sivaganga (his current constituency?)

That said, the whole of BJP is running on some PR agency's marketing skills of NaMo but I don't think he is creating the same "hysteria" in the rural areas! Over there I think its still about caste and whoever can buy their votes (sad I know)

Sei said:
Seriously? Improvement? They have been working together all these years. I would love to see someone disrupt their merrymaking.

Well apart from UPA and NDA, who would you rather see in power? I for one don't buy into the whole "third front" or whatever some smaller parties are pitching for. A govt with Nitish Kumar+Mamata Bannerjee+Mayawati+Jayalalitha+some sena+other smaller parties is not gonna cut it. We'll end up with the same shite as Deve Gowda/I K Gujral govts.

Also, AAP has no real presence whatsoever outside Delhi and if they don't do a dharna every other day to stay in the news, they're not gonna make any significant impact.

You wish ?

Maratis are stuck with NCP until bankruptcy. Nobody from maha that i've chatted with seriously considers that there are any alternatives to NCP for the short to medium term. That's sad.

yes. its sad.
they are fully drenched with kickbacks from top to the bottom cadre.
but since the cadre gets a lot of sops (kickbacks) compared to other parties, their cadre is the most enthusiastic .
they are the official builders and managers of illegal slums in our vicinity, they collect rent from those illegal slums, have major scheduled banks management under them, PWD ministry which is more interested to erect toll booths across roads with no records of the money collected.
hell they even had toll booths erected for roads costing 1 to 2 crores and are collecting toll fees on them indefinitely. :mad:
the LAVASA scam and irrigation scam money , cannot even the measure the rot they have spread.

Seriously? Improvement? They have been working together all these years.
If the BJP wins in the general election that would be an improvement over the status quo. If UPA wins again there is no improvement. No change.

I would love to see someone disrupt their merrymaking.
Been happening over twenty years now with the rise of regional parties.

The one market in India that is the most vibrant is the political market. 370 parties contested in 2009, the figure is surely higher this year. The effective number of parties in parliament is nine.

Last edited:
I thought MMS said in one of the press conference that he was not in the running for the PM's post (and thus my question earlier)
His words were...i won't rule it out, neither would i rule it in.

Also, AAP has no real presence whatsoever outside Delhi and if they don't do a dharna every other day to stay in the news, they're not gonna make any significant impact.
Yeah, because it takes more than protests to run a country.

Borewell water has chances of contamination from the sewage waters.
Also at lot of places they cannot be drunk due to the harmful chemical content it carries.
It is more suited for places which dont have such chemicals and are not densely populated.[DOUBLEPOST=1393939030][/DOUBLEPOST]From the makers of hit scams like Jeep Scam,CWG, COAL GATE and many more, adding to the ever growing list of scams, presenting before you is the latest scam
Rolls Royce aircraft engine scam
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...ery-charges-in-hal-deal/article1-1189987.aspx

Last edited:
Back