The Logitech Z5500 - Making the Walls Crumble!

dissel said:
@corelement Thanks for ur valuable post ......

here is the rating of Onkyo 3200 sub from manual page.

I want to know RMS power of the sub, Is it 130W, where logitech clearly stated that 188W power in their SUB.

And yes I don't understand much of your words...but looking at your signature and thread I can understand you are the High-End Audio Enthusiastic/Experts. So if please forgive my ignorance....Please remember I'm seeking info not arguing.

1.Are you saying the Logitech doing intentionally make the SUB which is produce much Bass or it is SUB's design defective ? Please enlighten....

2. Z-5500 have 505 watt RMS power and Onkyo 3200 have 600 watt(somewhere I read), I read many article where author said, PC Speaker for your personal use and HT,AVR usage is suitable with family in the living room...

How the above system works 11x12 room ? I know Onkyo is sufficient, but Z-5500 sufficient ?

Hearing distance is 6-7 ft from the front 3 spkr which is 69w center and 62w Right/Left of Z5500...which I think the vital for a 5.1 system.

I don't have any soft feeling/bending towards Logitech...I just want to invest my money properly.

Z5500 have poor connectivity as compared, to the Onkyo....but now a days every modern device come with optical or coax...so I'm not worried.

I didn't find any review of 3200 in the net (excapt tech2) nor any vids in youtube only 2 one is from company sponsored demo of connectivity and other from a user who playing "Bass I love you" Track.

but 5500 have thousand from unboxing to dismantle the whole unit.

Yes I understand youre wanting to know and I'm an amateur myself, learnt from others.

Higher wattage on paper always dosnt mean its better. For example, a very efficient amplifier of say even 5 watts is enough to blow you away depending on the efficiency of the speaker/woofer/driver.

See, sound is something thats very easy to produce but.. controlling it.. shaping it. it's difficult. Think of it like how a cheap watch compares to an expensive watch. Both do the same thing but theres so many differences. Only in a watch.. you dont know whats going on inside, in case of audio.. you hear the results. So saying that, I'd say logitech definitely has one of the best speaker sets z5500 at the 15k mark compared to other sony's and panasonics. However the onkyo's are of the 20k price bracket so theres a LOT of internal difference. if you compare a z5500's satellite to an onkyo's youll notice the onkyo's are very heavy compared to logitechs light bodied sattelites.

For someone like you, my suggestion is go for an onkyo s3100/s3200 to "Avoid" headache if you can afford it.

- Amplifiers such as the ones which come with onkyo can be locally repaired, the control pod on logi cannot, if the pod dies ( which happens a lot ) youd have to throw the entire system away.

- The sub on the logi is an active one, the onkyo s3xxx is passive. So in the same line of thought, the logitech amp is known to often die, but on the onkyo, the avr has the amp on it that drives the sub and its passive so theres only one thing that can go bad if the onkyo ever goes bad and thats the control/avr ( which can as I said, be fixed locally )

- Logitech didnt intentionally produce a sub thats defective, as I said, sound can be shaped to be better. They simply didnt work that much on it to enchance it much further. Maybe its the materials, maybe its the driver, whatever it is, its meant to be a 15k bracket item.

Theres nothing wrong with ithe z5500, but I'm someone who likes to avoid headache if I can and if I have to sacrifice a little for it. I feel at times, its better to spend 22 than spend 15-17 on something that might go bad in 3 years and cant be fixed. If you google logitech z5500 issues, youll find the ones I mentioned above.

corelement said:
For someone like you, my suggestion is go for an onkyo s3100/s3200 to "Avoid" headache if you can afford it.

- Amplifiers such as the ones which come with onkyo can be locally repaired, the control pod on logi cannot, if the pod dies ( which happens a lot ) youd have to throw the entire system away.

- The sub on the logi is an active one, the onkyo s3xxx is passive. So in the same line of thought, the logitech amp is known to often die, but on the onkyo, the avr has the amp on it that drives the sub and its passive so theres only one thing that can go bad if the onkyo ever goes bad and thats the control/avr ( which can as I said, be fixed locally )

Theres nothing wrong with ithe z5500, but I'm someone who likes to avoid headache if I can and if I have to sacrifice a little for it. I feel at times, its better to spend 22 than spend 15-17 on something that might go bad in 3 years and cant be fixed. If you google logitech z5500 issues, youll find the ones I mentioned above.

I'v nothing to defend here above words,this is the reason I hold my horse (3rd time) about purchasing this set......but please I don't have any dis-respect to other owners of this nice piece of hardware, there are many use 5500 successfully after 4 years or so.

I'm also logitech's loyal one (Pure Fi Express plus,MK 250,X-540,10ft HDMI {will go Harmony 525})...See how I love them.

@corelement,

suggesting about 3100....Is there is any special reason ? It don't have any HDMI option so user like me who have several HDMI device how can see the HD video ?

I have WDTV which have HDMI & composite can't stream 1080p to my LCD TV which is also have HDMI input. At WDTV manual it clearly stated that to watch HD vids user must need to use HDMI option.

Will component port handle 1080p resolution ?,but if yes, till portable HD player most often not provide the Component option (e,g WDTV Live have though)

I don't have any BD player right now,but In future I will, then what option I left ?

Please enlighten.... Or there is other way to do it ?

And yes 3200 HDMI option is pure joke for it's pass-through capability,but still a user have a choice to hook his HD device with it ? Right....

dissel said:
I'v nothing to defend here above words,this is the reason I hold my horse (3rd time) about purchasing this set......but please I don't have any dis-respect to other owners of this nice piece of hardware, there are many use 5500 successfully after 4 years or so.

I'm also logitech's loyal one (Pure Fi Express plus,MK 250,X-540,10ft HDMI {will go Harmony 525})...See how I love them.

@corelement,

suggesting about 3100....Is there is any special reason ? It don't have any HDMI option so user like me who have several HDMI device how can see the HD video ?

I have WDTV which have HDMI & composite can't stream 1080p to my LCD TV which is also have HDMI input. At WDTV manual it clearly stated that to watch HD vids user must need to use HDMI option.

Will component port handle 1080p resolution ?,but if yes, till portable HD player most often not provide the Component option (e,g WDTV Live have though)

I don't have any BD player right now,but In future I will, then what option I left ?

Please enlighten.... Or there is other way to do it ?

And yes 3200 HDMI option is pure joke for it's pass-through capability,but still a user have a choice to hook his HD device with it ? Right....
To get hdmi, the first true avr which supports hdmi is the denon avr 1610 that costs 23k, upon this youd have to add speakers, and good speaker sets cost about 40 grand. The onky s3xxx series is known to be a true budget home theatre.

You can simply output digital optical/coaxial audio from the player to the avr and the hdmi video to the tv.

If youre looking for a real..fullscale home theatre for the future, that youll build up part by part please have a look at

Cambridge audio sirocco s70 tower speakers

Cambridge audio sirocco s30 bookshelves speakers

Cambridge audio sirocco s50 center speakers

Cambridge audio sirocco subwoofer

set = 40k

Denon 1610 avr = 22k

saying this, please note this is 60k, vs a 15k logi, there is bound to be many.. many differences/huge improvements. The speakers physically play a much larger role than hdmi or watts on paper.

Thanks a lot for the info & teachings, As I want to thanked you in my other forum's dead thread which is just active today,but Mod's are hold my comments for approval.

After some surfing I came into this conclusion,

AVR's Woofer Out [RCA Type] (Active Sub) = Upgrade Friendly

AVR's Passive woofer [Spring Type] = Not Friendly.

Is it ?

Back