User Guides The Perfect BSNL Night Unlimited Solution

Here is the trick which i have almost perfected.

The Scenario.

As we all know the night unlimited starts from 2:00 AM and remains active with 8:00 AM. But the catch is that you need to disconnect and reconnect at 2:00 and 8:00 for the billing software of BSNL to register your free night unlimited downloads correctly. For this the best solution is to physically turn off and then turn on the modem @ 2:00 AM and again @ 8:00 AM. But that’s too much of a pain and also "What are comps for!!! ". The other way to do it is logging on to the router and then rebooting it @ 2:00 AM and 8:00 PM. As we all know the Beetel 220BX does reconnect automatically if you set it on the PPPoE mode. We will try to do automate the second process so that we can have our peace of mind during late nights.

The Hardware, The Software and The Settings:

Hardware:

Beetel 220BX Modem
Netgear WGR614 Wireless router
I am making this a little tricky for the simple reason that everybody today has a Wi-Fi router connected to their ADSL modems for ease of use with Notebooks. So the automation has to be done in such a way that all the aspects are taken care of.

Software:

Mozilla Firefox Browser
Notepad :p
utorrent

Settings:

220BX Modem having IP as 192.168.1.1
Router having a static/dymaic IP between 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.255
Desktop/Laptops taking Dynamic IP’s from the router between 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.255
(Note that if you are not having a Wi-Fi router in between then also it does not make a difference. Only difference will be your Desktop will have a Static IP between 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255. You have dynamic IP’s but I’ll be testing the same with static IP’s.)

Procedure:

First things first. Fire up utorrent and then click on Options>Preferences>Scheduler
Next click on enable Scheduler and then colour the slots between 2:00 – 8:00 to dark green and rest as white(Where Dark Green is full speed and White is Turn off Downloading).
Click on ok. You should see that all the downloading has been stopped (Considering the time is not between 2:00 and 8:00)
Now your utorrent is scheduled.

Next step is to fire up Notepad. Put in this line in the notepad
Code:
 C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\firefox.exe -new-tab [URL]http://admin:password@192.168.1.1/rebootinfo.cgi[/URL]
Where your username and password for the modem is admin and password. If not then change the username and password with the ones you have saved in your modem.
Save the file as Reboot.bat at a convenient location. Best place is directly in C:\ or your Windows installation partition.
Run it. For the first time your browser will give you an alert message that you are trying to logon to a website with the admin username. Click on ok. Wait for around 1 Min. Your modem should reboot during this time. If not then there is something wrong somewhere. Check everything from the beginning again. And do not proceed further till your modem starts rebooting.

Now that your modem has started rebooting all you need to do is run this file at the desired time of yours. My guess is that about 2:05 AM is a good time to run this file, and again at 7:55 AM. The reason for that is that your PC time is not in sync with BSNL server’s and the 5 minutes rush will save you from those embarrassing bills.
To automate the whole process you need windows task scheduler. While writing this guide i am giving a example of Windows Vista OS and i guess Windows XP will work the same ways. I will try this same thing again at my home and post back if there are any necessary changes which have to me made.

Now click on Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Task Scheduler
In the Task scheduler on the right hand side in the actions pane click on “Create a basic taskâ€
A new window will pop up. Here in the name field just write “Modem Reboot at 2.05†and in the description field just write â€Take that you BSNL Suckersâ€.
Click on next and select Daily.
Click on next and select the start date as the present date and time as 2:05 AM (Don’t mess up the time. Don’t touch any thing else and click on next.
Click on start a programme and click on next. In this window browse for the reboot.bat file which we have saved earlier in the c:\ or any other desired location where you had saved it earlier. Click on next and then followed by finish.
Now repeat the entire task scheduler process from the beginning for rebooting the modem @ 7:55.
And now you are done. To do a test run you can either change your system time to 2:04 or create a test task scheduler 2 minutes from the present time and run it. But don’t forget to revert back the changes.
All this is fairly simple and almost foolproof. Just to be extra sure you can make the modem reboot @ 2.15AM and schedule a shutdown of windows @ 8:00 AM in the morning. Hopefully this trick should work with every other modem which is available in the market. If not then you need to find out the command to reboot the modem and put it in the bat file.
I found this single command to be a blessing in disguise and hopefully this guide will help quite a few of you in avoiding some billing nightmares.
Switch
Notes:
This guide assumes your modem is set to PPPoE mode and you don’t need to dial manually to connect to the net.
You are using utorrent as your P2P software.
You are on BSNL Night Unlimited and not on MTNL Night Unlimited.
You don’t work on your comp during the night unlimited hours. :bleh:
You don’t have a very big bank balance.

===================================================================

Added later. Suggestion by ..:: Free Radical ::.. for people who use there modem in Bridged mode.

You can simply use rasdial if you are in Bridge mode

copy this into a text file and save it has a .CMD batch file

CONNECT.CMD
Code:
@ECHO OFF

:CONNECT
rasdial <Connection Name> <Phone Number> <Password>
if NOT %ERRORLEVEL% ==0 GOTO FAILED
EXIT

:FAILED
GOTO CONNECT
DISCONNECT.CMD
Code:
rasdial <Connection Name> /DISCONNECT
Where <Connection Name> = Name of the bridge Mode WAN Miniport PPPoE dialer connection in your Network connections folder.
And use task scheduler to run each whenever you desire.
Better than using a browser.

Mohit,

when i enter 192.168.1.1, it does not go to the config page.
It should go but its saying page not loaded.

The modem is UTstarcom WA3002G4. I googled but others are using this modem and are able to.

I checked the network details and the default gateway is blank, but in my Airtel connection, its 192.168.1.1.
Is it due to this? And how to resolve this? I can't do any configuration changes without going to this page, right? :huh:

Run > CMD > Ipconfig

That should give you your gateway address.
m0h1t said:
Go to 192.168.1.1, Username > Admin // Password -> password

Click on Wan > Edit > Next > Select Bridge + LLC/SNP Bridging > Next > Next > Save

Go back to Wan > Click on Save/Reboot
These step pertain to a Beetel 220BX, but your UTstarcom interface should be similar.

m0h1t said:
Run > CMD > Ipconfig
That should give you your gateway address.

These step pertain to a Beetel 220BX, but your UTstarcom interface should be similar.

In ipconfig:

PPP adapter Broadband Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 117.x.x.x
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

x is a number.

Do this and see if any adapter settings change
ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew
How are you connecting right now? direct via modem.. no dialing?

m0h1t said:
Do this and see if any adapter settings change
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
How are you connecting right now? direct via modem.. no dialing?

I am getting a message like
Code:
C:\Users\AdiDash>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has its media
disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its me
dia disconnected.

PPP adapter Broadband Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 117.200.226.163
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9c84:976b:eeb8:f011%12
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.240.17
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

I have to press connect always before connecting

I had to create a new connection for broadband enetering username and password. So, whenever i have to connect, i right click on the network in taskbar and then click connect on the connection and then i am able to browse.

So you're already dialing on the PC, just put the dialer on auto reconnect when line dropped and you're good to go..

ok, i'll make it to autoconnect
But i can't reboot and connect at night and morning using the script on the first page.
So, billing would be haywire :p How to make this happen?

Are u talking about the connect.bat and disconnect.bat to schedule disconnect using task scheduler?
Coz i dnt think i can disconnect using task scheduler without using any script. :huh:

Back