The PLEX / Emby / Jellyfin Thread (Home Media Server)

it can be anything...kodi has all streaming solutions' inbuilt addons like Netflix, prime video. In addition it has hundreds of addons for watching Iive tv.

You can also use local content, kodi supports hdr now and plays all formats flawlessly.

You can create a server out of kodi too and use it for streaming your local content. It can also be installed on any android/windows device including fire stick.

Basically kodi can do anything any other media server can and probably better. However, it might require a little bit more effort in setting it up due to the number of flexibilities available in the tool.
The Kodi DB management is very unstable and you have to basically set it up with the mySQL DB for it to work properly across devices or installations. Also, metadata management is much better in Jellyfin.

I have been using JellyCon but the JellyFin add-on also has benefits in terms of syncing the metadata to Kodi's DB.

The Kodi DB management is very unstable and you have to basically set it up with the mySQL DB for it to work properly across devices or installations. Also, metadata management is much better in Jellyfin.

I have been using JellyCon but the JellyFin add-on also has benefits in terms of syncing the metadata to Kodi's DB.
Oh my experience has been completely different and 100% flawless.

I have 24tb of movies and TV series on kodi. Been using it since 2012 never faced a single issue.

I first used Jellyfin addon (as against jellycon) but had severe issues where whenever Kodi starts, sync happens and it always stops at certain fixed point and this causes only partial icons to show under "Movies" and "TV Shows" part of Kodi. I read online and they say it is to do with Kodi Matrix 19.1.

Oh my experience has been completely different and 100% flawless.

I have 24tb of movies and TV series on kodi. Been using it since 2012 never faced a single issue.
Guess it is possible to have a stable setup as well. Have come across several DB corruption queries on the Kodi forums over the years and the ultimate solution for a lot of them ends up about rebuilding and rescraping the DB which can be irritating.

There is no reason that Kodi won't work as a local uPnP server. However, Jellyfin offers the possibility of transcoding and remote access along with fast metadata scraping which probably works better for most users not willing to get into the extreme nitty-gritty of configuring Kodi.
I first used Jellyfin addon (as against jellycon) but had severe issues where whenever Kodi starts, sync happens and it always stops at certain fixed point and this causes only partial icons to show under "Movies" and "TV Shows" part of Kodi. I read online and they say it is to do with Kodi Matrix 19.1.
That's true, it wasn't behaving well with Matrix at all.

Guess it is possible to have a stable setup as well. Have come across several DB corruption queries on the Kodi forums over the years and the ultimate solution for a lot of them ends up about rebuilding and rescraping the DB which can be irritating.

There is no reason that Kodi won't work as a local uPnP server. However, Jellyfin offers the possibility of transcoding and remote access along with fast metadata scraping which probably works better for most users not willing to get into the extreme nitty-gritty of configuring Kodi.

That's true, it wasn't behaving well with Matrix at all.

I don't do transcoding and have turned off for all the users from server side as I am using RPi4 and it struggles to transcode anything. Instead I use apps that support all codecs and hence always direct play happens which works for me.

I installed PLEX server few days on my RPi4 to test it out and pointed it to the same folders where my movies and tv shows are stored (same location being used by jellyfin too). No doubt plex is more polished than jellyfin but it seems they have things I don't really want like live tv or plex movies and shows and they charge me for mobile apps which was a downer.
Also the fact that I have got comfortable with Jellyfin probably contributed me to not like PLEX but may be it is better but for now jellyfin serves the purpose for me.

I installed PLEX server few days on my RPi4 to test it out and pointed it to the same folders where my movies and tv shows are stored (same location being used by jellyfin too). No doubt plex is more polished than jellyfin but it seems they have things I don't really want like live tv or plex movies and shows and they charge me for mobile apps which was a downer.
Also the fact that I have got comfortable with Jellyfin probably contributed me to not like PLEX but may be it is better but for now jellyfin serves the purpose for me.
I use mine with web streaming and oddly enough the free movies they provide via Plex Movies have quite a few classics in them. Some hilariously bad ones too but stuff made for popcorn Fridays.

The hassles of streaming from your system to family and friends involves getting a Static IP and paying of course but you can use the mobile app itself for free. A lot of my friends stream from my server all over India and some Internationally too and none of them have paid a buck for it.

I use mine with web streaming and oddly enough the free movies they provide via Plex Movies have quite a few classics in them. Some hilariously bad ones too but stuff made for popcorn Fridays.

The hassles of streaming from your system to family and friends involves getting a Static IP and paying of course but you can use the mobile app itself for free. A lot of my friends stream from my server all over India and some Internationally too and none of them have paid a buck for it.

I think PLEX mobile apps have 1 minute play limit if not paid. Correct me if I am wrong. TV apps like firetstick, roku etc are completely free though and have no such limit.

I think PLEX mobile apps have 1 minute play limit if not paid. Correct me if I am wrong. TV apps like firetstick, roku etc are completely free though and have no such limit.
Not too sure. Everyone I know Chromecast or Firestick it. If you're a Plex Premium subscriber though you get all apps, all functionality etc. Personally I felt it's worth it, support an awesome team, and I paid back in 2014 I think. Been using it for 7 years which makes it about 15 dollars a year so far? Seems pretty reasonable.

Not too sure. Everyone I know Chromecast or Firestick it. If you're a Plex Premium subscriber though you get all apps, all functionality etc. Personally I felt it's worth it, support an awesome team, and I paid back in 2014 I think. Been using it for 7 years which makes it about 15 dollars a year so far? Seems pretty reasonable.

Yes, unless you are PLEX Pass member or have done one time purchase of that app, mobile apps have limits like 1 minute for video and pictures I guess have watermark or so. I read about it on plex's website. I understand plex is de-facto thing when it comes to local media streaming and definitely $75 for one time payment was a great deal. I will give PLEX another shot and see if it is good for me or not. May be when I have some time.

Curious, are there any or many Plex Lifetime Subscribers here?

Generally all the lifetime Plex users lament using Plex now because how it is being neglected in terms of stability, having features removed and meaningless ones added to simply get new users on board. Over the long term though people will keep moving away from Plex.

Generally all the lifetime Plex users lament using Plex now because how it is being neglected in terms of stability, having features removed and meaningless ones added to simply get new users on board. Over the long term though people will keep moving away from Plex.

I admit they've deviated in part from just being your own media server but the key features I use it for are their core product. I do sometimes use the extra movies they got for some oddball classics, I actually use their audio Android app as my own FLAC streaming service when I'm out and about and I definitely use their stream anywhere feature regularly for myself, family and friends. Till they break it for me, I ain't bothering learning something new and if and when they do, I hope that the alternatives are mature enough to just be easy enough.

I bought it to support them, the product provided me years of fun and still does today, my use case with it never changed. I didn't like their revamp of their home screen but I figured out how to get it back to the way I like it and I'm sorted.

The internet imho is a haven for those who want to complain and those who don't are too busy having a good time with what they got. For example, the OnePlus subreddit lol!

If anyone is on Plex Pass and wants to quid pro quo libraries, hit me up!

Curious, are there any or many Plex Lifetime Subscribers here?

Me and @cyberwarfare are. @Vagabond was interested but I think he is moving to Jellyfin.
That's great. Subscribed back when lifetime cost $75. It's gone up since then. Tried Kodi prior and found Plex to just be easier to use but then again, Kodi is free, so there's that. Sharing Plex libraries is a thing and if shared enough is a heck of a lot better than most OTTs.

I got mine for 75 USD when Amazon offered a year for 20 USD or something. Didn't work, Plex offered me an extension and by year end offered lifetime for 75 and I took the bait.

Its to be expected. Still its quite good.

Back