The PSP Buy Guide - Thread

Re: The PSP Buy Guide - Thread [All Qtns Answered Here]

I am thinking of buying a slim version next month. So a couple of questions.

1 What is the video playback like? There are some games that I like on the PSP but mostly it will get used as a portable video player. I will convert most of my TV episodes etc to mp4 so I need to know if the video playback is up to the mark if you watch movies on it on the go.

2 Is there a special memory stick pro duo that I will need or will any made by Transcend etc will do. I am thinking of getting a 2GB one, any idea of the cost. Original one.

Thanks.

One Word....Awesome Video Playback..

Id suggest you go in for a 4gb Sony/Sandisk MemStick Pro Duo.....it cost me around 2300 bux.....ud get it here for arnd 2750-3500 and lesser if u look hard

Also Id recommend the just launched extended battery pack for uninterrupted 9-11 hours video playback, and I dont think u might mind the slight bulge as ud be using it mostly for videos.

TheDevil said:
One Word....Awesome Video Playback..

Id suggest you go in for a 4gb Sony/Sandisk MemStick Pro Duo.....it cost me around 2300 bux.....ud get it here for arnd 2750-3500 and lesser if u look hard

Also Id recommend the just launched extended battery pack for uninterrupted 9-11 hours video playback, and I dont think u might mind the slight bulge as ud be using it mostly for videos.

is the new battery pack launched?

Thanks!

A couple of more questions. Does installing a Custom firmware void the warranty? And is the warranty needed? From what I hear they have a solid build quality.

yup installing a custom voids the warranty, but i think you can get back the warranty by re-installing the official firmware whenever u need to avail the warranty. I had mailed Sony and they said that PSP Slim should be in stores within a week.

ahem ahem ...
dont worry about warranty as when u flash with ahem firmware the warranty is void

The warranty DOES NOT GET VOID if we flash a custom firmware on a PSP ..the PSP can easily be downgraded to OFFICIAL 1.5 FW ...
the warranty gets void only IF the PSP is not downgraded to an OFFICIAL FW

karanboochra said:
ahem ahem ...

The warranty DOES NOT GET VOID if we flash a custom firmware on a PSP ..the PSP can easily be downgraded to OFFICIAL 1.5 FW ...

the warranty gets void only IF the PSP is not downgraded to an OFFICIAL FW

*Chuckles*

Kindly read with cool mind before you comment further..

Please note that there is no difference in firmware versions from region to region. There is no such thing as a "Japanese version," "American Version," or "European Version" of the firmwares. Downloading a firmware update from another region is perfectly fine, but please note Sony says installing a foreign version will void your warranty.

Guide Vault: Firmware and Homebrew Capabilities :: PSP-Vault :: PSP downloads, community, news

One can't play pirated games on FW 1.50...not the latest ones at least. So please clear your misconception as installing Custom Firmware voids the warranty. Cos according to Sony, custom firmware is a "foreign version".

I just cited the reference which I knew where it was. This is NOT an orkut community, this is TECH ENCLAVE!! Everyone is welcome here. But get your facts clear before you question Senior Members.

Hope you're clear now, boy.

@Quadmaster...great info. I wanted to do that but work keeps busy. Thanks!

can't i just re-install the official firmware in place of custom firmware wheever i need warranty?

montylee said:
can't i just re-install the official firmware in place of custom firmware wheever i need warranty?

Dude if you can just re-install the official firmware...why do you need warranty for??? If your PSP doesn't start...then only you need the warranty...unless its changing the Buttons..lolz

can anyone tell me if i buy psp slim from sony can i modd is myself or should i buy it modded orignal is here sony is giving for 8700 no idea abt grey price plz help

get it from Sony world and get it modded thru some TE member or some grey market shop. In Delhi (palika bazaar), they charge Rs. 500 for installing custom firmware and in chennai it costs Rs. 800 :(

So I am getting one later today. And I have decided that since I don't have a pandora battery or a magic stick I would rather pay someone to do it.

So which shop in Palika would be reliable to do that. It would be a PSP slim BTW.

Wohoo got one. :D

First thoughts

1 Its a lot smaller than I thought, when compared to the phat one. Fells real compact.
2 The screen is a lot larger than I though. I will love movies on this. I can just tell.
3 HOLY CRAP! Its also a dust and fingerprint magnet. Black colour looks good but you need to wear gloves if you want it nice and shiny.
4 I need to try my Creative ep 630 to see if I can use them .

And lastly the genius that I am I bought the core pack. Then I couldnt find any 4GB mem sticks.

So basically until I can get my hands on a 4GB one all I can do is browse the PSP menu.

DOOOOOOOH!

Also its FW 3.71 can I downgrade?

I just got a psp. Suggest some beginning games guys. For now, i have Virtua Tennis 3 and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2. I hate VT3 as i have played it on PC, the core gameplay doesn't feel good to me, so i'll try Smash Court Tennis 3. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 being an FPS is really difficult to control on the PSP, so please suggest some games guys.

there is a thread regarding the psp games..

but u can go ahead with :

1)locoroco

2)Daxter

3)Ridge Racer

4)Burnout Legends

5)Tekken

All the above mentioned are from different genres.. so u can google out and then decide acc. to ur taste.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@m47r1m

how mch was the damage? and which shop exactly..?

u got any number of that shop..? if yes.. then pls do share. A frnd mite soon be going so need it for him.

thx

Back