The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

Hi Folks,

People here have been speculating that i7500 might not get an official 2.1 update...Well

1. Why would Samsung dispense such a treatment to it

2. Even if the update does not happen...can it be flashed with the un-official Firmwares doing the rounds

I dont know...But I still feel like going for i7500

Anybody can help me in here ?

ok guys noob here, just got I5700, for 12k...hope i got a decent deal.

Liking the phone as of now :)

Few questions:

1) Is I5700 brickable by software ... i mean if any one has used ipod, iphone no matter what you do software side.. it can always be recovered even after a bad flash.

2) What about warrant, is some sort of registration required on website or something of that sort ?

3) Also the most important of all is it worth going to 2.1 at all ?

4) when ever i listen to some audio.. there is some hitch in sound every few seconds... many users have reported this problem.

any experts here to solve these problems ?

Havok said:
ok guys noob here, just got I5700, for 12k...hope i got a decent deal.

Liking the phone as of now :)

Few questions:

1) Is I5700 brickable by software ... i mean if any one has used ipod, iphone no matter what you do software side.. it can always be recovered even after a bad flash.

2) What about warrant, is some sort of registration required on website or something of that sort ?

3) Also the most important of all is it worth going to 2.1 at all ?

4) when ever i listen to some audio.. there is some hitch in sound every few seconds... many users have reported this problem.

any experts here to solve these problems ?

any experts willing to answer ??

Techtree.com India > News > Consumer Electronics > Samsung Spica i5700 Gets Android 2.1

We already knew this was coming but needed an official confirmation. Just a week after news regarding the HTC Tattoo getting an official Android 2.1 update was reported, we have a confirmation that the Samsung i5700 Spica too getting the same treatment.

The update, which will be first rolled out in Germany, will soon come to other countries across the globe as well. Last week, we did see a video showing the Samsung Spica running an unofficial Android 2.1 ROM.
The 2.1 update will bring in support for nine home screens and support for augmented reality as well. Other new stuff includes Widgets, Visual bookmarks and an enhanced camera software that provides more imaging options and software tweaks. The contact management too has seen an improvement. Those who have the Spica might want to power on their Samsung PC Studio Suite and check if something is already available for you.

so whos flashing first :p i am downloading the suite

EDIT :eek:h well , installed from CD . a whole bunch of drivers refused to load and phone was eventually not recognised by the PC studio , will have to wait for ODIN

Guys my phone is acting weirdly, I'm unable to make calls or receive them, even the msgs are sent some times and failed sometimes.

Even gprs is acting weird, edge indicator will be "on" in idle ,but when I try to browse as soon as I open browser, indicator goes off and says network error and as soon as I close browser, it becomes active again :mad:

Its frustrating since last night

I have to restart phone every time I have to make a call.

PC suite was already with the phone cd
What are u downloading then?????
Is the firmware released for download????
kippu said:
so whos flashing first :p i am downloading the suite

EDIT :eek:h well , installed from CD . a whole bunch of drivers refused to load and phone was eventually not recognised by the PC studio , will have to wait for ODIN

Oops missed ur edited update
;-)

I am not an expert but will try my best :).

NO...not until you flash Radio. Which you won't normally...but before you go flashing and rooting way. You should learn how to make backups/restore ROMs.

Also the most important of all is it worth going to 2.1 at all ?

No...not really...2.1 (Eclair) does comes with few improvisations such as better browsing, enhanced UI and probably MS-Exchange support. But Donut/Cupcake (1.6/1.5) is still a very potent Android build. But since Samsung is sending a 2.1 update this question of yours becomes null and void ;).

when ever i listen to some audio.. there is some hitch in sound every few seconds... many users have reported this problem.

Download Meridian Music player from market. Its better than the stock player and check if the hitch still remains. I use a HTC phone and audio/video quality is crisp and clear.

sriharsha_m said:
Guys my phone is acting weirdly, I'm unable to make calls or receive them, even the msgs are sent some times and failed sometimes.

Even gprs is acting weird, edge indicator will be "on" in idle ,but when I try to browse as soon as I open browser, indicator goes off and says network error and as soon as I close browser, it becomes active again :mad:

Its frustrating since last night

I have to restart phone every time I have to make a call.

Never seen this happening:S! BTW goto settings and "reset" the phone. That should work if it doesn't throw it back at your retailer's face!

Also I'm getting this random pop up msg saying "Android.acore is not responding"

anish_sha said:
somebody tell me abt the PDF experience in this phone pls....

Hmmm just now tried a 20 page pdf on phone. Rendering was instant and readability is good. I would rate 9/10 for iPhone and i5700 7/10,as of now in pdf readability. I have to use it more often to see if its better :)

yay!!!!!!!! 3G was launched in our town today. Got two 3G sims. One for 5800 and one for i5700.

When I tried to make a video call between then, I realized that there is no front cam for i5700

How am I supposed to make a video call from i5700 ?????????????

Also Does any one here have an idea about this Data Top ups http://www.bsnl.in/service/3G/3G_files/3g.htm

What are those?? Don't they have any validity or expiry date??

Should I be on any data plan to use those top ups??

Back