The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

@kippu : Everything seemed fine with DXJB3 when i used it. It was a good improvement speed wise as compared to DDJB2. However the phone storage is just 118mb

I am currently using the modded I570EXXJC3. It has patheon removed, phone storage is 132mb. It seems to work faster and smoother than even DXJB3. The only problem i have come across so far is that when smart dialing is used sometimes the wrong pic is asigned.

ayaskant12 said:
I never use the csc file while flashing! !
Again went back to dxbb2 but still problem persists! !!!

When is flashed to XXJC3 i couldnt download anything from the market either. Then i flashed to XXJC3 using the CSC file from DDJB2 and everything works fine now.

Tried Nimbuzz today... skype calls and gtalk voice calls worked very well over wifi!

Gtalk voice call also worked fine over TATA DOCOMO gprs but was choppy over Airtel gprs.

The bad part is that sound is routed through the loudspeaker and the vol is pretty low.

Maybe its a noob question, but how does one get to know about the proposed update to 2.1? And if one does get to know the update is out, how will one get it on the phone? Considering, my phone isn't registered on the Samsung India site. Kinda confused.

^^ I guess when Samsung releases a final 2.1 update they would make it available on their site.

And how would we know about it? Its anyone's guess but keeping an eye on various forums would be a good idea.

Couple of more findings:
1. Google apps are FANTASTIC. Off note is blisteringly fast push Gmail.
2. Facebook app is good in parts, and sad in others.
3. I prefer the Android browser to the Opera Mini 5 Beta 1. Period.
4. Multitouch is sorely missed.
5. Typing SMS has now become a breeze. Smiley button on the keyboard makes it a cinch to impress the girls ;-)
6. Music quality is OK. I still have the 2 gb card. Need to get a new one.
7. Camera is sad. Shot a video. Died trying to view it. SAD.
8. The phone has this SPRINGY feel to it. So when you transfer it to a table from your hand, you feel as though there is a suspension inside the phone to protect it from falls. (believe me, it might just be true)
9. Browsing on this screen is SO much damn fun!! It's almost replaced my laptop while on the move, for browsing.
10. Loaded some movies and tv shows onto it. Drag and drop. SImple. Just works. I tell you, Samsung has put in some clever R&D into this phone. DIVX is something not seen regularly.
11. I wont load 2.1 till it's official.
12. Phone doesn't bog down much. 800 mhz shows it's presence when viewing videos and while massive multitasking.
13. Red accents make me wanna puke, But the OS makes me wanna pick up the phone and give it some wet kisses (yes, with tongue!)

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a new i5700.

Can anyone tell where I can get a best deal in Delhi.

Ebay India qoutes 13.6 + shipping ~= 14k

Anyone on the thread has a better deal for this Android :p enthusiast

sgx100

I bought mine for 12K from a friend's shop :)

@Wraith

I'm currently on I5700DDIL1.

I want to try 2.1.

Shall I wait for the official update or Flash the custom firmwares.

Should I stick to the Asia Firmwares here Samsung-Firmwares.com or Can I try I570EXXJC5

I'm familiar with Apple Jailbreaking and MotoRokr E6 Flashing, hoping this to be easy.

I have a few doubts as well

• What is rooting??
  • How can I backup my Original Firmware and apps in case I want to revert back.
  • How can I restore my data after flashing to a new firmware??
  • What are the benefits of custom firmware??
  • What are these mods http://3.ly/zLxa
  • What's the back up time you are getting?? Mine seems to drain within a Day of moderate usage!!!!!!!

sriharsha_m said:
I bought mine for 12K from a friend's shop :)

@Wraith
I'm currently on I5700DDIL1.
I want to try 2.1.
Shall I wait for the official update or Flash the custom firmwares.
Should I stick to the Asia Firmwares here Samsung-Firmwares.com or Can I try I570EXXJC5
I'm familiar with Apple Jailbreaking and MotoRokr E6 Flashing, hoping this to be easy.

I have a few doubts as well
  • What is rooting??
  • How can I backup my Original Firmware and apps in case I want to revert back.
  • How can I restore my data after flashing to a new firmware??
  • What are the benefits of custom firmware??
  • What are these mods Samsung i5700 - Spica, Galaxy lite [???????]
  • What's the back up time you are getting?? Mine seems to drain within a Day of moderate usage!!!!!!!

@sriharsha_m : you can definately try the 2.1 firmwares ( i am currently using I570EXXJC3). The most of the firmwares are samsung orginal firmwares (though not official releases). The modded firmwares usually remove certain apps or add some apps to suit various users.
Also you can update to firmware from any region, it really doesnt make any difference. The only problem you might come across is that you might have to enter GPRS/3G settings manually and some difference in ringtones. The work around to save your gprs settings is to avoid using the CSC file during flashing.

Rooting basically means getting access to the OS and being able to make changes to it. You can add or remove various apps once you have root access. Also you can save programs to the memory card instead of the phone memory (though this is limited to 1.5 firmwares only till now).

I have read about backing up the original firmware here forums.samdroid.net but have not been able to understand how to do it.

Infact most of the information I have is based from the above link. The advantages of custom firmware is that usually they remove most of the unwanted apps and make the OS faster. One example is the changing the Samsung Pantheon home screen in 2.1 firmwares to the LKlauncher, it really makes the phone fast.

I havent really had the need to backup any data yet, since the email and contacts are synced with the google servers and data on the memory card is not affected during flashing.

My phone lasts about 1.5 to 2 days but i am using it mainly as an internet device since the morons at airtel have barred both incoming and outgoing calls and sms (this is after submitting the documents 3 times). But fortunately the gprs is working so i have no complaints :D This use also includes quite a bit of wifi and gps.

Also I have watched 3-4 episodes of 20-22 mins tv shows back to back on the phone and battery usage was about 20%.

Thanks for the info Wraith

Was your battery open,without any cover,on opening the box first time??

Or is my battery faulty or what ??

Just Finished importing a csv file of all my contacts to gmail. Do you know what name should I give to the phone number cell in csv format ,so that they automatically add into the phone number field in gmail contacts.

After I uploaded my contacts,all my phone numbers showed up in respective contact's "Note" Field not in phone number field.

I'm editing each of them manually for the time being but want to know workarounds.

BTW are the contacts two way synced or just mail to phone??

UPDATE

Yep seems to be two way sync :)

@sriharsha_m : I had imported contacts from my winmo phone, converted to csv and everything appeared fine on my phone, so i dont know what really went wrong for you (maybe someone else can help)

And yes when i got the phone, the battery was in a plastic bag within box.

Wraith said:
@sriharsha_m : I had imported contacts from my winmo phone, converted to csv and everything appeared fine on my phone, so i dont know what really went wrong for you (maybe someone else can help)

And yes when i got the phone, the battery was in a plastic bag within box.

How much time does it take for your battery to be fully charged from say 30-50%. My phone(50% before) is on charging from the last two hours and it is still at 90%. Is this normal?? or may be because its a 1500mah batt

Donno why but I'm skeptical about my battery.

@sriharsha_m : i havent really paid attention to how long it takes to charge the battery completely. But i guess you are using spare parts to check the battery info and from exp i can tell you that the from 90% onwards it takes a bit of time to get the battery fully charged. The even though it says battery is 100% but if battery status says charing then it means that the battery isnt fully charged yet.

Can anyone tell me how's the ebook readin experience in this phone?
I used iphone before, in that online pdf's can be read smoothly in safari browser , but scrolling was bit difficult,coz of no buttons . . .
now i've nokia e71, the adobe reader sucks, and the processin of the pdf files takes hell of time.. Can hardly read one or two pages and you'll be bored by then..
Can anyone share experience of pdf files in i5700 please. . .

anish_sha said:
Can anyone tell me how's the ebook readin experience in this phone?

I used iphone before, in that online pdf's can be read smoothly in safari browser , but scrolling was bit difficult,coz of no buttons . . .

now i've nokia e71, the adobe reader sucks, and the processin of the pdf files takes hell of time.. Can hardly read one or two pages and you'll be bored by then..

Can anyone share experience of pdf files in i5700 please. . .

iPhone is far better in reading pdf's. There are a numerous apps that read pdf's smoothly, Good Reader is one such app which I use to read even some 100MB+ magazines, no lag at all and the controls are nice. Try it.

Regarding i5700 I just used one app called PDF reader and I haven't used it much so can't say about it.

Back