The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

well first root your phone and Install Home ++ ....

after that remove any traces of Pantheon from /system/app

Then see how much better the phone becomes! :D

My hands are itching to try out the 2.1.Can any one post a total guide how to root the phone and install 2.1 and as cyneuron asked how do u roll back if something goes wrong??.

Do i have to backup my contacts and messages before rooting if yes how do i do it ??

Well see rolling back is not possible ...but again the phone wont brick that easily.

Max you can manage is to wipe off the current firmware....even after that you can load a new one! So its recoverable...

Also the toughest part is to install the drivers...

So :

Disconnect phone > Install NPS > Restart > Turn on Debugging mode on the phone > Then connect .

Now remove SIM card and Memory card (remove and SIM locks) ....

Press and hold these simultaneously : Volume Down + camera + Power Button

Asa you reach download mode.... connect it to the PC and let it install all the drivers.

Now restart the system.

Also in order to avoid any issues its best to use Windows XP 32 bit. Or the VM environment in Windows 7 (If on Win 7 64 bit).

Rest can be followed as in Sameer Prabhakars guide.

If anybody here faces any issues. Either you guys can PM or ask for my contact no. ill be more than glad to guide you folks over the phone :)

Also if you really want ot go back to Andorid 1.5 ...i suggest you use the US firmware ...its wayyy better than the Asian one.

Im currently working on a Hands on and a full Guide on how to Flash/Root/Tweak/etc etc a Spica. but that will require a few more days.

PS: Please register on Samsung-firmwares.com (its free) and you can download the official firmwares asa they are released. I have seen plenty of people flashing again and again due to modded firmwares acquired from various sources.

@Metalspree

Do not worry the baseband isn't of much relevance here....(not like the iPhones)

Damn i do not have WIn XP or VM Ware.Will Win 7 create a serious problem as such ??

Edit: How do i backup data.@Vikid PM me your phone no will call you if i face any issues

Yep...since the drivers are not officially available for Windows 7 .... and to add to that are not signed.

But there is a way to get the signed ones . You will have to use Google translate to access the Samsung Germany website and then download KIES from the Spica downloads page.

I cannot confirm if this method will work or not, but i was able to install proper 64 bit drivers for mine on Windows 7 64 bit using this method. Now my phone is being detected without any problems on my PC (Win 7 64 bit Enterprise). (Even in Debugging Mode which is need to update the phone or connect it to the PC)

KIES and NPS are basically needed only for drivers since the official are firmwares are still not available in our region.

You can try after installing KIES if it works else do keep a machine with Windows Xp 32 bit as a backup option.

Downloading the latest KIES and NPS from Samsung Germany website.Google translate rescued me .I will be uploading both the files to rapidshare so that folks can easily download them.

Latest NPS is 1.4.0.IL2 and KIES is 1.5.0.10024_74

ViKiD said:
Well see rolling back is not possible ...but again the phone wont brick that easily.

Max you can manage is to wipe off the current firmware....even after that you can load a new one! So its recoverable...

Also the toughest part is to install the drivers...

So :

Disconnect phone > Install NPS > Restart > Turn on Debugging mode on the phone > Then connect .

Now remove SIM card and Memory card (remove and SIM locks) ....

Press and hold these simultaneously : Volume Down + camera + Power Button

Asa you reach download mode.... connect it to the PC and let it install all the drivers.

Now restart the system.

Also in order to avoid any issues its best to use Windows XP 32 bit. Or the VM environment in Windows 7 (If on Win 7 64 bit).

Rest can be followed as in Sameer Prabhakars guide.

If anybody here faces any issues. Either you guys can PM or ask for my contact no. ill be more than glad to guide you folks over the phone :)

Also if you really want ot go back to Andorid 1.5 ...i suggest you use the US firmware ...its wayyy better than the Asian one.

Im currently working on a Hands on and a full Guide on how to Flash/Root/Tweak/etc etc a Spica. but that will require a few more days.
PS: Please register on Samsung-firmwares.com (its free) and you can download the official firmwares asa they are released. I have seen plenty of people flashing again and again due to modded firmwares acquired from various sources.
@Metalspree

Do not worry the baseband isn't of much relevance here....(not like the iPhones)
Dude Congrats on a new 2.1
Any idea how is I570EXXJCF as it the lastest firmware on the samsung firmware page.
My phone is in samsung service station for the last 10 days....pata nahi woh 2.1 dalenge ya nahi...
I will try to speak to them if possible

Was really interested on a simple guide to root and how to install live wallpapers...also on how to remove Pantheon...Any tips BUddy

SGX100

Metalspree said:
Damn i do not have WIn XP or VM Ware.Will Win 7 create a serious problem as such ??

Edit: How do i backup data.@Vikid PM me your phone no will call you if i face any issues

Metalspree said:
Downloading the latest KIES and NPS from Samsung Germany website.Google translate rescued me .I will be uploading both the files to rapidshare so that folks can easily download them.

Latest NPS is 1.4.0.IL2 and KIES is 1.5.0.10024_74

I have flashed mine in win7 32 bit, No problems for me and a small correction about NPS, there were two new versions after 1.4 and the newest one is here

Hello Friends,

I just got my Galaxy spica, but I am not able to access my home wifi on galaxy spica although it shows connected.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well things "might" work on windows 7 .....

Also ill have to check the versions i have for the NPS and KIES. But i dont think that will matter much unless official updates are rolled out using either of them.

@Wraith

lkMod is good but .... it removes some commonly used pre installed apps , though again yes, they can be downloaded separately .... its better to root and browse to the /system/app directory using shell on PC or a terminal app like Better terminal.

Also its not advised to use LiveWallpapers with Helix...makes it crash a lot.

@MetalSpree

are you on Windows 7 64 bit?

If so then it wont work. I myself tried it at first but doesn't work.

You need a 32 bit OS.
@SGX100

haven't tried I570EXXJCF as yet. Most probably in a day or 2 . :)

But i have heard that it somewhat improves the screen sensitivity
Ill try grabbing the official upgrade using NPS 1.5 tonight and get back to you guys....

ViKiD said:
@SGX100

haven't tried I570EXXJCF as yet. Most probably in a day or 2 . :)

But i have heard that it somewhat improves the screen sensitivity
Ill try grabbing the official upgrade using NPS 1.5 tonight and get back to you guys....

good man...i will be all ears to hear the reviews
how do u grab the official update...using KIES 1.5...Has the update reached Indian Shores..:S

Back