The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

superczar said:
Thanks, so what do you suggest, upgrade to 2.1 and then root?

I won't call the phone sluggish, but it isn't as zippy as I had hoped (e.g. lags at time when using the on screen keyboard)

would the 2.1 upgrade make it worse?

Buddy Its totally upto you..It can brick your phone...

Though not much of a risk...I have seen ppl going after flashing like anything..

Well I would suggest you to wait a couple of months...as by then the update would most likely be available on the New PC Studio/KIES.

I am adopting a wait and watch policy for now :)

cyneuron said:
bought it this evening from banwari lal shop, near BTW (near prem studio), kamla nagar, delhi for 12.2 K...could have got it even for 12 k if had bargained more.....

anyways....its even worth more.....awesome phone....just go for it....

just not able to wait for android 2.1 ? kinda scared and lazy to apply workarounds for upgrade....

any idea when is samsung gonna release it officially here ?

one question - when i connect it to PC, Samsung New PC studio software does show my device by name "GT-i5700" (yaa, you have to uncheck USB mode only option in phone setting first, otherwise it will only show SD card) , but on clicking update it says device not supported. Can anyone share some experience here ?

Damn I got it for 12600 from south ex - 1

Though had a feeling that I could get it for arnd 12k in delhi...but just could not hold on to my horses today....Just went out and got it.

As for update...May tak aa jana chahiye boss

Anyways thanks for the info bro...

Why not rock this thread now...I think this phone's gonna rock too :clap:

ayaskant12 said:
My brother in delhi got a quote of 12.1k and also the shopkeeper agreed to decrease a bit more when he buys it

I will ask the shop address

Got damaged by 12600/= today bro...Ab yeh sun kar to aur dukhi ho gaya ;'(

Anyways...thnx for the help buddy :)

@sgx from which fone did u upgrade??

I was on iphone but android is more useful for me

Nowadays I hav less access to my desktop and this phone can download forms,movies, music nd play it rite here

It has medical apps for me though yet to be cracked by someone

Android is more like windows mobile in utility but 100times more stable

I am on 2.1 and the eye candy is quite good I must say

Openhome is cool

Dialer one almost brings the smartdial of windows mobile into android an I lov this feature

Apps integration is really good without hangups

Games are good conceptwise but lack in graphics dept

Neways its my life now to be able to be always online on gtalk with my frends

3g speed is quite ok with me

ayaskant12 said:
Nowadays I hav less access to my desktop and this phone can download forms,movies, music nd play it rite here
Openhome is cool
Dialer one almost brings the smartdial of windows mobile into android an I lov this feature

Buddy N 72 :ashamed:

ayaskant12 said:
Openhome is cool

hey are u a medico ? could you suggest me something on android medical apps ? i am all new to android ? any idea how to install uptodate on it ?

^^ try epocrates but its only for android 2.1. There is another software called skyscape which you can use on android 1.5.

you'll get both of them in the android market.

Has anyone bought screen guard for spica?? Though manual says its scratch free tempered glass, Trusted the same with iPod touch, but got a minor scratch, So I don't want to take any risk.

But finding Spica specific screen guard looks like a tough job. Has anyone tried some other mobile's screen guard which would fit spica??

If yes which phone is it??

cyneuron said:
hey are u a medico ? could you suggest me something on android medical apps ? i am all new to android ? any idea how to install uptodate on it ?
hmmm as the other posts hav mentioned two great apps, i wud only add isilo reader since i hav lot of ebooks in .pdb format including harrison, robbins, cecil etc

one more thing skyscape is the best med app but it has not been cracked yet, though i hav read a way to download the skyscape made apps but seemed tedious and rite now i am too busy!!

can somebody help me configure mtnl delhi 3g on spica ?

i am using this from post here : http://www.techenclave.com/broadband-forum/mtnl-3g-158648-2.html#post1434224 [ Also mtnl website link - http://mtnldelhi.in/dolphin/handset_set.htm ]

1. For Delhi -

Profile name: mtnl

Dial up no. : *99# (there is no such dial up option in >mobile network > access point settings)

User name : mtnl

Password : mtnl123

3G Prepaid : pps3g

-------------------------------------------------------------

2. What about other options like Proxy, Port, Server, MMSC , MMS Proxy, MMS Port ?

MCC has - 404, MNC has - 68, APN type is - Internet, and Authentication Type is - Normal (PAP).

3. I had also received two sms from mtnl - one saying my one time password is : 3770 and other saying my one time provisioning no is : 1111. What am is supposed to do with these numbers ?

called up customer care but as expected those technically handicapped cc guys couldn't help.

pls smbdy help.

Do this:
Settings->wireless controls->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names->Press 'Menu' and tap 'New APN'-> in edit access point enter name as MTNL (you can give any name here) and in APN enter mtnl (case sensitive). Leave every other field as blank.

Do not save just press 'back' key to come to previous screen and select your new access point. Probably this should give you an Edge connection. My Vodafone access point is defined in the same way every time. Let us know if it works for you.

ed.hardy said:
Do this:

Settings->wireless controls->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names->Press 'Menu' and tap 'New APN'-> in edit access point enter name as MTNL (you can give any name here) and in APN enter mtnl (case sensitive). Leave every other field as blank.

Do not save just press 'back' key to come to previous screen and select your new access point. Probably this should give you an Edge connection. My Vodafone access point is defined in the same way every time. Let us know if it works for you.

still not working.....

Which is this MTNL plan that you have subscribed? For e.g. Mine is 'Vodafone Mobile Connect' and the access point is "www". I guess we need to know the correct access point.

Which was your earlier phone? What access point you used? Was it through proxy? Full edge connection is normally without any proxy servers.

ed.hardy said:
Which is this MTNL plan that you have subscribed? For e.g. Mine is 'Vodafone Mobile Connect' and the access point is "www". I guess we need to know the correct access point.

Which was your earlier phone? What access point you used? Was it through proxy? Full edge connection is normally without any proxy servers.

first of all thanks for helping.

its simply mtnl 3g. no such plans or anything. and i am gonna use it for first time.

anyone who is using mtnl 3g on samsung spica ?

Try this:

APN - pps3g
Username - mtnl
Password - mtnl123

If 'pps3g' doesn't work then try gprsmtnlmum & gprsmtnldel. Try all these 3 APNs and let us know (with same username & pwd). Also call those MTNL as$heads and confirm if the service is active on your number.

kippu said:
i would like a scratch guard too .... anyone else ? we can get from ebay.com

I ordered one with my credit card thru paypal. Hardly came up to $2 inclusive of shipping. Not a bad deal i must say...

anish_sha said:
can anyone post some pics clicked using this fone pls....

let me save u time by saying camera is not gud.....simple. i knew it, and i still went for it, because cam wasn't my preference.

if u need gud cam, then this is nt the phone for u....

cyneuron said:
let me save u time by saying camera is not gud.....simple. i knew it, and i still went for it, because cam wasn't my preference.

if u need gud cam, then this is nt the phone for u....
I know tht dude.. but just wanna see how good is the cam... cam is not my pref,, still @ times when u need to click pics...

Back