The Samsung Tab Thread

vercetti

Skilled
Checked TE but could not find any thread dedicated to the Samsung Tab so created one.

My Samsung tab is due to arrive today so wanted to know what are the various things that you use the tab for.

I am planning to use the tab for the below:

navigator while in car

browse net while I am watching cricket in my drawing room or complex screen:)

watch movies when outside or in Office:)

Welcome to the club!

1. GPS on this thing is awesome (try out Sygic MobileMaps)

2. Upgrade to Gingerbread ASAP! It makes the Tab a very very potent device and browsing is butter-smooth (ALA iOS) on Overcome ROM (based on 2.3)!

3. TV Out: I connect the Tab to my LCD TV to play movies on it (it's pretty good at that)

4. There is a WIP HoneyComb SDK port for the Tab with most of the stuff not working currently. However, it is expected that a new release with proper graphics and Wifi will be hitting the Tab anytime in the next week! Can't wait for it :D

Thanks mate:)

Couple of questions:)

How do I upgrade to gingerbread? (sorry m new to android scene and am still struggling with the xcd35)

Can u connect a USB device to the tab?

and how do u connect ur tab to the TV dude?

thanks in advance:)

Pat said:
Welcome to the club!

1. GPS on this thing is awesome (try out Sygic MobileMaps)

2. Upgrade to Gingerbread ASAP! It makes the Tab a very very potent device and browsing is butter-smooth (ALA iOS) on Overcome ROM (based on 2.3)!

3. TV Out: I connect the Tab to my LCD TV to play movies on it (it's pretty good at that)

4. There is a WIP HoneyComb SDK port for the Tab with most of the stuff not working currently. However, it is expected that a new release with proper graphics and Wifi will be hitting the Tab anytime in the next week! Can't wait for it :D

excellent thread...was thinking of creating one..could not find anywhere on TE. Good one vercetti..I purchased galaxy tab this month and was looking out for some cool stuff on this website for the tab ;)

@vercetti- my tab still on Android 2.2 ..bought it from Malaysia so still waiting for gingerbread update for S.E.Asia. Dont want to brick my tab by using Overcome ROM etc bcoz saw lot of problems coming after stock rom update.

As far as customization is concerned I have downloaded lots of gameloft games which are perfectly working on my tab. below I have named few games working right now

Games with their version-

UNO3.5.0

star front collision1.0.0

Angry Bird rio1.0.0

PiPi GoGo1.0

Angry viking 2.0

Asphalt 5 3.3.7

Chess game 1.0

Dart ninja 1.07

Dungeon Hunter3.5.6

Fast 51.0.0

Fishing king 3.2.2

Gangstar3.0.6

Gin rummy 2.1

Hawk 3.4.5

Hero of sparta 3.4.8

Lets Golf 3.1.6

Magnet Moo 1.3

My paper plane2 1.9

NFS shift 2.021

Ninja rush 1.15

Nova 3.1.3

Pinball HD for tegra

Sandstorm 3.1.1

Shadow Guardian 1.0.0

Slot machine 3.4

Slot royale 2.4

Speedx 3d 1.10.4

Splinter cell conviction 3.2.0

Spiderman HD 1.10.4

TNA Impact 1.0.1

Sudoku free 8.5.0

will update more games ..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Some website for Samsung galaxy tab-

For games and apps for galaxt tab -

Mobilism • Releases

MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone OS Community Forum

For information and stock rom updates-

Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB Official Thread V1

Samsung Galaxy Tab - Android Forums

http://www.thegalaxytabforum.com/

vercetti said:
Thanks mate:)

Couple of questions:)

How do I upgrade to gingerbread? (sorry m new to android scene and am still struggling with the xcd35)

Can u connect a USB device to the tab?

and how do u connect ur tab to the TV dude?

thanks in advance:)
1. There is a detailed PDF guide on Overcome ROM thread over at XDA. It explains every single step with screenshots. Should be as easy as it gets.

2. Nope, USB host does not work on Tab (At least not yet)

3. I use the TV-out cable. Bought it from eBay (eBay India: New Audio Video Cable for Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 (item 380342207673 end time 27-May-2011 10:12:39 IST)). As I said, quality is pretty good. There is also a HDMI dock but it is a lot more expensive than this cable.

Feel free to ask if you have any more queries :)

With the price reduction, I think the tab is quite a bargain. I am very seriously considering selling my Galaxy S and getting a tab. Of course, I will not be able to use it as my primary phone, so will use a Nokia for that. I am planning to borrow it from a friend and try it for a week before I decide.

Anyone else tried giving up their smartphone for their tab?

is the galaxy tab ...the one thts available for 24-25 k 3g enabled.?

am too considering buyin it over a 4 inch android phone and use my faithful nokia for making calls.

i tried on one of my tab yday. official is not out. my second one is running on 2.3.3 for a month now. good stuff. and its on sale now since im shifting to s2

sumit.sol said:
updated my tab to gingerbread 2.3.3 through Kies..loving it

Was your GTAB purchased in India?

I tried updating my GTAB (official India purchase) after reading your post and no updates (2.3.3) were available through KIES. There was a KIES SW update though.

Or did you use some hacks to update?

Bought a sealed tab from uS in 12k..
i took it for a fren then kept for me .

I want it to pull torrents ,all the time as lappy battery gone dead.
it goes 12Hrs with charge ,so cool for d job.
how to keep an auto resume torrent app for that
ie when power goes it should keep waiting as power comes
the wifi router will connect and torrents sd resume?

Back