The smartphone manufacturer guide

rhlravi

Adept
Hi guys, i decided to make a guide about phone manufacturers, regarding the general advantages and disadvantages of each manufacturer, focusing more on popular smartphone manufacturers.

Its aim is to give a rough idea of what you should expect if you buy a phone of that manufacturer, considering the past, and present trends of manufacturers.

Although many advantages and disadvantages are model-specific, there have been some abilities some manufacturers have been blessed with, and some cons which they simply cannot seem to get rid of.

I have tried to include points which i can recollect, and please suggest more points to add to make the thread more useful. I do not have a hands-on experience with all phones of all manufacturers, but instead, this is based on what i have learnt in the past few years. No information is copy/pasted from any site or other source, if it seems to be, then it is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Thank you!

1. HTC

+ Good build quality

+ Good, original UI (Sense UI)

+ Above average software support

+ Excellent community support (for example, most HTC phones have CM support, more than half phones having CM support are of HTC)

- Premium pricing

- Sub-par battery life

- Sub-par camera

- Non-existent lower end segment phones

Minor - Depends totally on Qualcomm chipsets

2. Samsung

+ Exclusive manufacturer of class-leading displays like Super AMOLED, Super AMOLED plus, Super Duper AMOLED plus minus

(couldn't resist making the last one up :p)

+ Wide range of smartphones, covering the entire range, from lowest end to highest end of the spectrum

+ Consistently remains the manufacturer with phones having the most powerful hardware among all

+ Wide availability and service network

- Poor pricing of phones in mid-range segment (like Ace, Galaxy SL etc...). In many cases, other phones offer better features at lower price, yet no price cuts on such models.

- TouchWiz is a ripoff of the iOS UI, and i feel that even the stock Android UI is better than it

- Flagship phones have a plasticky feel

Minor - Poor GPS

3. LG

+ Decent pricing

- Very small lineup of smartphones

- No stand-out feature

- Laggy UI

4.Motorola

+ Excellent call clarity

+ Effective price cuts

- Relative disinterest in the Indian market (Milestone 3, Droid X2 have been announced, still no Milestone 2, Droid X in India),

no phones with similar specs either. The most powerful Moto phone in India is just a mid-end phone.

- High launch prices of phones (Milestone 1, XT800 etc.. launched at 30k. Any takers then?)

- Sub-par software support, tend to favour updates to US phones, neglect other countries

(Droid 2.2 update came out months before milestone 2.2 update, some phones which got updates in the US, retained on old android versions in other countries)

- High SAR value

5. Sony Ericsson

+ Above quality average cameras

+ Above average quality design

- Hilariously poor software update history

( X10, X10 mini, X10 mini pro, X8 came with donut when eclair was out 4 months ago, got eclair update when gingerbread was out)

- Offers poor value till price cuts after many months (Xperia X10 launched at 35k, Play at 31k, when better phones were cheaper)

6. Apple!

+ Good build quality and design

+ Excellent community support

+ Timely software updates

+ Largest collection of apps

+ 1 year international warranty, good after sales service

+ Unmatched reputation

+ Excellent touch responsiveness from screen, now has unmatched pixel density, fluid interface

- Relative disinterest in Indian market

- Only 1 phone, refreshed only once a year

- Lacks basic features such as file copy, paste, delete, download, bluetooth file transfer etc..

- Same old UI(will it never change?), i got bored of it soon (on ipod), same old slide-the-finger homescreen-cum-menu, hides the beauty of wallpapers too

- Studied opposites in school? Of course!

Lets revise it again then, shall we?

Big x Small

Good x Bad

Tall x Short

and finally..

Value for money x Apple

(i hope you got the point!)

In India (at least), Apple iPhones are meant for

1. Rich adults

2. Kids born with a silver spoon in their mouth

3. Die-hard fanboys

(No offense to exceptions :p )
Not for the lower, middle class users

6. Nokia

+ Glorious past, reputation is still good among loyal users

+ Gets the basics right (Call quality, pricing etc..)

+ Largest dealer and service network

Minor + Above average build quality, design

+ Excellent value for money in lower segment

- The OS issue:

* Symbian is dying, has totally been abandoned by other manufacturers like Samsung, SE etc...

* Meego looked (and still looks) promising but we now know that N9 will be the first and last Meego phone from Nokia, and that it is just like a distraction while Nokia is readying its WP7 phones

* WP7 was a very poor choice by Nokia as its major future OS, something we all know. It is mainly for higher end phones and has some strict, and unmeaningful requirements such as:

1) Strictly 3 hardware buttons on the front, not less, not more.

2) Only Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.

* In addition, its shortage of apps, OS cost (paid to MS), different UI(though quite nice), may not be well accepted.

- Except the N900 and upcoming N9, all other phones have yesteryear processors. The fastest processor on a Nokia device, except the two above phones is an old 628 MHz ARM 11 processor, which is outdated, and otherwise only used on low end phones by other manufacturers in the era of blazing fast processors.

- Even the screen, although AMOLED, having deep blacks and overall good quality has the least pixel density among all smartphones. A 4" display with a 360x640 resolution does not quite excite a user. (Except N900 and N9 again)

Minor - Tending to favour fixed-focus cameras nowadays

Just after giving us the best camera on a mobile phone(N8), Nokia has been on a fixed-focus spree, using 5MP, even 8MP fixed focus cameras in phones ranging from the low-mid end segment (E5), the mid-end segment(C6-01, C7), all the way upto the flagship model (E7). Although image quality is quite decent, an autofocus camera would have been much appreciated (Ah, the good old Carl-Zeiss optics!)

- Tumbling reputation and sales are a worry, not only for the company but also for its users, since a user realizes that if the company stocks, sales and reputation are tumbling it can only mean lack of quality in the product.

8. Blackberry

+ Blackberry messenger

+ Built for easy messaging (email, IM) with an optimized portrait QWERTY keyboard

+ Good build quality, can withstand drops from average heights easily without loss of data

- App store is sparsely populated compared to Android and iOS stores, shortage of free apps

- Hardware is not that good for what you pay, well below the average standards

- Blackberry OS is not well optimized for touch (Sub-par quality UI)

- No video-calling camera on any model

THE END

Please feel free to make suggestions for addition, deletion of info above. I have little knowledge of things like music quality, ease and speed of messaging, etc..., so suggestions on those matters will be useful. If i have made a large error, then constructive criticism, rather than abusing and yelling (if you feel like doing that, just spare a moment and think about the effort put into this), would be appreciated. And although most of the info above may feel basic to an experienced user, it can help newcomers to the smartphone platform. Let us work together to make this the definitive guide :) .

- Studied opposites in school? Of course!

Lets revise it again then, shall we?

Big x Small

Good x Bad

Tall x Short

and finally..

Value for money x Apple

(i hope you got the point!)

In India (at least), Apple iPhones are meant for

1. Rich adults

2. Kids born with a silver spoon in their mouth

3. Die-hard fanboys

Awesome Post!

You can also add "Above Average design" to Nokia. Symbian smartphones have never looked as desirable as now what with N8, E7 ,c6-01 and the upcoming meego based N9

RS4 said:
^^Nah, all the negative points in nokia section is valid :p

I feel so too. I have nothing against Nokia, was a loyal user till a couple of years ago too. Same with Apple, i am not an Apple-hater, have an iPod and feel it is worth every penny.

Okay lets take this step by step.

* Symbian is dying, has totally been abandoned by other manufacturers like Samsung, SE etc...

Correct

* Meego looked (and still looks) promising but we now know that N9 will be the first and last Meego phone from Nokia, and that it is just like a distraction while Nokia is readying its

WP7 phones

No , the N9 is not the last MeeGo phone.

* WP7 was a very poor choice by Nokia as its major future OS, something we all know. It is mainly for higher end phones and has some strict, and unmeaningful requirements such as:

1) Strictly 3 hardware buttons on the front, not less, not more.

2) Only Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.

How is having a Snapdragon processor a negative point ? The new chassis specs allow for flexibility and supports the latest ST-Ericsson Dual Core chips as well.

Also , expect cheap WP7 phones from Nokia. They have the benefit of volume manufacturing.

* In addition, its shortage of apps, OS cost (paid to MS), different UI(though quite nice), may not be well accepted.

Shortage of apps on what ? Symbian ? It has all the basics but for the 'app-junkies' , the move to WP7 is great. It has the fastest growing application ecosystem.. yes faster than the iPhone and Android as well.

If Nokia licenses the OS from MS , how does it affect you ? PS : MS is paying Nokia a shit load of money.

- Except the N900 and upcoming N9, all other phones have yesteryear processors. The fastest processor on a Nokia device, except the two above phones is an old 628 MHz ARM 11 processor, which is outdated, and otherwise only used on low end phones by other manufacturers in the era of blazing fast processors.

All PREVIOUS phones, Keep in mind that most Android phones south of 15k also have 600Mhz processors. A 1Ghz processor != blazing fast performance. Of course i'm not saying that having a fast processor is wrong , neither am i saying that the phones are superbly fast. However this issue has more or less been alleviated with S^3 which will be replacing S60v5 over time.

- Even the screen, although AMOLED, having deep blacks and overall good quality has the least pixel density among all smartphones. A 4" display with a 360x640 resolution does not quite excite a user. (Except N900 and N9 again)

Point taken.

- Tending to favour fixed-focus cameras nowadays

Just after giving us the best camera on a mobile phone(N8), Nokia has been on a fixed-focus spree, using 5MP, even 8MP fixed focus cameras in phones ranging from the low-mid end segment (E5), the mid-end segment(C6-01, C7), all the way upto the flagship model (E7). Although image quality is quite decent, an autofocus camera would have been much appreciated (Ah, the good old Carl-Zeiss optics!)

EDoF is not bad as people make it out to be. Yes having it on the E7 was a fail.. but believe me it takes better pics than most others in the middle end range.

Read this article for a better insight : EDoF versus Best of Android?

- Tumbling reputation and sales are a worry, not only for the company but also for its users, since a user realizes that if the company stocks, sales and reputation are tumbling it can only mean lack of quality in the product.

Its all relative... If you would've researched this , Nokia shares are actually on a steady rise post the N9 launch..

Once again , just posting the facts... Not a fanboy rant.

dhruvrock2000 said:
Okay lets take this step by step.

How is having a Snapdragon processor a negative point ? The new chassis specs allow for flexibility and supports the latest ST-Ericsson Dual Core chips as well.

If MS insists on having Snapdragon processors on WP7 phones as it has in the past few months, the lowest end WP7 and highest end WP7 phone will both have the same internals. This will ensure that there will be a large cluster of phones in a very small price bracket (say 23-26k), with no phones above or below it. Even if MS considers allowing the 800 MHz Snapdragon, the price difference will not be more than 10-15% as compared to 1 GHz Snapdragon. Additionally, in this period of time, we are observing that Qualcomm processors are on the backseat compared to dual-core ARM and NVIDIA Tegra processors. The strict requirement by MS ensures that the hardware progress in WP7 phones goes only as fast as Qualcomm can improve its Snapdragons, not as fast if its competitors go ahead in the race, as they are now. Finally, just to finish it off, the QSD8250 with Adreno 200 for all the phones in the entire first year of WP7 phones made it impossible to port HD games to the platform because the weak GPU just cannot handle it.

rhlravi said:
Stephen Elop, Nokia CEO has confirmed that N9 is the last Meego phone that Nokia will make. Now if you have a higher post than him in Nokia, then i apologize.
Just a reference: Nokia N9 confirmed to be the last MeeGo phone from Nokia | Ubergizmo
You can find this info on many other reliable sites too.

Some more links:

Helsingin Sanomat - International Edition - Business & Finance
Nokia's Stephen Elop is still over MeeGo, even if the N9 is a hit -- Engadget
Stephen Elop's controlled leak of sea ray-video

Okay lets put it this way.. do you NOT want that the cheap WP7 phones should perform as well as higher end ones ? You WILL get cheap WP7 devices from Nokia. Under 20k..

There are two ways to go about it. The iPhone model where having a clearly defined hardware path allowed users of even 2-3 year old phones get updates and apps.

Now take the Android path... just now we have dual core processors and by the end of the year there will be devices based on the Krait SoC. All this while we STILL have 600Mhz Android phones out in the market. How does that make any sense ? You will not have app parity , possibly not even OS parity. Think of it clearly and you'll see that hardware chassis specs are not a bad thing AT ALL.

Optimization is key , a mobile phone is NOT a desktop. Read this article for an insight : Why Windows Phone 7 doesn't desperately need more powerful devices this year | MobileTechWorld

dhruvrock2000 said:
Also , expect cheap WP7 phones from Nokia. They have the benefit of volume manufacturing.

If a cos such as LG(known for VFM), Samsung, SE, HTC were unable to bring prices of Snapdragon WP7 phones to below 20k, i don't know if Nokia can bring it below 15k.

On a contrary note, the Huawei Ideos X6/Spice Mi-410 has achieved this, but i am quite sure that the cost of the OS Nokia will pay to MS and the effort put into making the hardware, build, overall quality of the phone better (and maybe a slightly higher profit margin too), will shoot the price up to 20k again.

dhruvrock2000 said:

Shortage of apps on what ? Symbian ? It has all the basics but for the 'app-junkies' , the move to WP7 is great. It has the fastest growing application ecosystem.. yes faster than the iPhone and Android as well.

Well, if you call the growth from around 10k to around 25k apps 'faster' than the growth from 1 lac to 2 lac apps (just an assumption), yes i agree it is faster :p

dhruvrock2000 said:
If Nokia licenses the OS from MS , how does it affect you ? PS : MS is paying Nokia a shit load of money.

Nokia did not have to pay more to install into its own phones, but OS cost will add to the phone's cost here, and we know that MS does not sell its OSes cheap.

I once had a choice of 2 phones when i was going to buy a phone 2 years ago. 1 was a feature phone and another was a WP(6.1) phone with almost same specs. The cost difference was 8k.

dhruvrock2000 said:
All PREVIOUS phones, Keep in mind that most Android phones south of 15k also have 600Mhz processors. A 1Ghz processor != blazing fast performance. Of course i'm not saying that having a fast processor is wrong , neither am i saying that the phones are superbly fast. However this issue has more or less been alleviated with S^3 which will be replacing S60v5 over time.

Agreed that lower end droids have 600MHz processors. But compare this to two recent phones, in the higher end segment. The recently launched Nokia X7 (at around 22k) has a 680 MHz ARM 11 while at just 2-3k higher, the dual-core droids start.

This is the main reason why high end games such as Rage, and other similar games will never be ported to Symbian.

An article fom another site (first posted on another thread by RS4) : http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/7/5/wanna-be-the-ceo-of-nokia-take-the-simple-quiz.aspx

Back