The smartphone manufacturer guide

Yea , every OS starts off with 1 L apps at launch , right ?

I'm talking application GROWTH. Check out this infographic from January. And this is before the Mango update. Growth has further increased now. 30% growth rate in January and thats before multitasking , new APIs were launched for devs.

Distimo-Number-of-Applications.jpg

Nokia did not have to pay more to install into its own phones, but OS cost will add to the phone's cost here, and we know that MS does not sell its OSes cheap.

I once had a choice of 2 phones when i was going to buy a phone 2 years ago. 1 was a feature phone and another was a WP(6.1) phone with almost same specs. The cost difference was 8k.

Once again , you're making assumptions.

dhruvrock2000 said:
EDoF is not bad as people make it out to be. Yes having it on the E7 was a fail.. but believe me it takes better pics than most others in the middle end range.

Read this article for a better insight : EDoF versus Best of Android?

- Point taken. But still, for people like me who take pics of close-by text, and other such stuff, auto-focus is very helpful.

As GSMArena quotes(please don't start saying i am ripping off from other sites, i just felt this is appropriate) 'Fixed-focus on an 8 megapixel camera is just wrong'

If you are paying a good sum of money for a phone, then you at least expect the camera to be auto-focus. Will make it a minor - then

:)

dhruvrock2000 said:
Its all relative... If you would've researched this , Nokia shares are actually on a steady rise post the N9 launch..

- Yes, but still they are still the lowest since 1998(!). We see articles regularly like this and even a reputed co. has given Nokia a rating of 'next best to junk' rating. (Or something similar to that).

dhruvrock2000 said:
Once again , just posting the facts... Not a fanboy rant.
No prob mate :)

I am actually happy that someone came out with their expression freely, so thanks :) And i deeply pondered over each of your thoughts and felt that they were good arguments. Any other similar suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Yes the stock is at its lowest coz face it... Symbian HAS been loosing popularity and OPK didn't do much to change it. I'll reserve my opinion about him ;)

Anyways, you'll probably get what i mean once the new strategies start unfolding.. WP7 is good for Nokia.

dhruvrock2000 said:
Optimization is key , a mobile phone is NOT a desktop. Read this article for an insight : Why Windows Phone 7 doesn't desperately need more powerful devices this year | MobileTechWorld

+1000,optimization is everything, the WP7 devices with two generations old 1GHz+Adreno 200 is much smoother than the dual core android beasts which still LAG,iphone 3GS with a 600Mhz processor is butter smooth and has much better games than any other phone on this planet.

RS4 said:
+1000,optimization is everything, the WP7 devices with two generations old 1GHz+Adreno 200 is much smoother than the dual core android beasts which still LAG,iphone 3GS with a 600Mhz processor is butter smooth and has much better games than any other phone on this planet.
Totally agree with this. But remember 1 thing. If i optimize a basic notebook with windows 7, no lag and give u a gaming laptop with slight lags in interface(OS), which one would you pick (if both are of same cost, say)? Yes, optimization does matter but what also matters is what your hardware is capable of when it is running a heavy application, not just how fluid the interface is. (The iPhone, for example has a much better GPU in the form of the PVR SGX535, compared to the Adreno 200.) Both are important (optimization and raw power). And another thing is, in today's world, many a times if the manufacturer does not optimize it that well, you can resort to the community support to slightly improve/optimize it more. For example, the LG O2x is said to have many bugs, not that well optimized. But why is it still recommended by all over, say Nokia E7(and probably the 3GS too) at a similar price point?

Just my opinion,(slightly exaggerated maybe) to say what i meant there.

rhlravi said:
Totally agree with this. But remember 1 thing. If i optimize a basic notebook with windows 7, no lag and give u a gaming laptop with slight lags in interface(OS), which one would you pick (if both are of same cost, say)? Yes, optimization does matter but what also matters is what your hardware is capable of when it is running a heavy application, not just how fluid the interface is. (The iPhone, for example has a much better GPU in the form of the PVR SGX535, compared to the Adreno 200.) Both are important (optimization and raw power). And another thing is, in today's world, many a times if the manufacturer does not optimize it that well, you can resort to the community support to slightly improve/optimize it more. For example, the LG O2x is said to have many bugs, not that well optimized. But why is it still recommended by all over, say Nokia E7(and probably the 3GS too) at a similar price point?
Just my opinion,(slightly exaggerated maybe) to say what i meant there.

In the same way, all S^3 handsets come with 680Mhz CPU+ a broadcom GPU which is even faster than the iphone 3GS GPU ,even many android phones have 1Ghz+SGX540 but still there are more games for iphone 3GS than nexus S,Galaxy S. So,optimization is the key.

A huge row over Nokia in this thread I see. Let's just wait & watch, shall we ?

@OP

Could you just add "laggy UI" to list of negatives of LG phones? Both O1 & O2X suffers this problem.

pauldmps said:
A huge row over Nokia in this thread I see. Let's just wait & watch, shall we ?
@OP
Could you just add "laggy UI" to list of negatives of LG phones? Both O1 & O2X suffers this problem.
You cant generalize like that,the LG optimus 7 is butter smooth.

The aim of this post is to give a general list of pros and cons of different manufacturers, trying to avoid those in a few specific models. Laggy UI must be due to lack of optimization in those phones :D , which we have discussed in most of this thread.

By the way, is the lag also present in Optimus Black and older phones like first Optimus?

RS4 said:
You cant generalize like that,the LG optimus 7 is butter smooth.
We are mostly being Android-centeric here. See how OP has posted about Touchwiz UI & HTC Sense in their respective manufacturers. Ironically both manufacturers also manufacture WP7 phones too.

pauldmps said:
We are mostly being Android-centeric here. See how OP has posted about Touchwiz UI & HTC Sense in their respective manufacturers. Ironically both manufacturers also manufacture WP7 phones too.
We are not at all android-centeric here and are having good discussions on ios,WP7,symbian devices as well,moreover OP is constantly updating the first post based on the feedback provided by the fellow members.

pauldmps said:
That is because Samsung has released only 1 WP7 so far (Omnia 7). Their older Windows mobile series , their Symbian phones(the touch ones) have TouchWiz. So, i am in effect excluding only 1 smartphone from Samsung when i talk about TouchWiz here.

The number in HTC is a bit more but still only a few (Mozart, HD7, and maybe Trophy) in India. Other available models run Sense UI (including phones like HD2, HD mini).

Back