The Startup Thread

Party Monger

Skilled
It's on my mind as well, but I have no single interest in mind and also can't invest much. Let's see what other ideas others have.

Been toying with a lot of ideas. The investment being the problem. The only way startups can happen now is if like minded people pool their money in an initiative they truly believe in.

@Party Monger Good initiative mate! Let me know if you need any assistance, information about the scene in Pune. IIRC You are in Ngp, how is the Startup scene over there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Been toying with a lot of ideas. The investment being the problem. The only way startups can happen now is if like minded people pool their money in an initiative they truly believe in.

there are many businesses which start which low investment and small and grow big. Totally depends on the industry & the idea.

Am currently running 2 businesses, one is marketing ( healthcare ) & other is food related ( cupcakes ). Funded: Personally & Loan. Looking at VC funding in 1 years time for the food company
any questions, go ahead :)

Anyone over here in the Organic Foods business. My parents will be retiring soon and they wanna dabble in it. We have enough land in Himachal for a small scale effort. The govt there helps in setting up greenhouses at subsidized rates and there is an agriculture university nearby from where quality seeds and plants can be obtained.
If I were to join their venture, I would be handling marketing, supplies etc as I have zero knowledge and interest in agriculture.

Organic food is a huge untapped field. As more and more people become health conscious, the demand for organic food will increase!

I've always been interested in 3D-Printing and its future; always wanted to dabble with it since at least 5 years for now. I don't have a flair for doing business though. I'm more of a technical guy who can do his research and work well.

3D printers is just a layman term for fast prototyping machines which have been around forever. I don't understand the hype around it. Now it's being made mainstream, but yet the only untapped market are enthusiasts and hobbyists. The main "money making" segment for 3D printing has already been tapped into and saturated.

Edit - Not trying to discourage anybody, just stating what I know.

3D printers is just a layman term for fast prototyping machines which have been around forever. I don't understand the hype around it. Now it's being made mainstream, but yet the only untapped market are enthusiasts and hobbyists. The main "money making" segment for 3D printing has already been tapped into and saturated.

Edit - Not trying to discourage anybody, just stating what I know.
It's like saying touchscreen devices were there forever since early '90s, or combustion engines since late 19th century.

There is a lot of money to be made. 3D printers cost hell lot of a money and the company that can deliver on price and quality will make it big. There are already quite a few that are bringing it into mainstream, but it's still prohibitively expensive. There is no clear cut winner as of yet as far as general use is concerned.

And moreover, the main advantage is not just having an affordable 3D printer, but sharing designs with others and manufacturing physical products at your home. a.k.a. a P2P model for physical goods, just like we have for digital ones.

3d printers can print only in plastic I believe? So they are useful for prototypes I guess and not finished products. They won't last long due to the glue used I guess.

I recently read about those guns being made in 3d printers using open source designs and lasting just one shot (since the barrel melted due to heat)

Coming back to topic, I have lot of ideas in my head. Problem is trying to start off, due to no business knowledge and no finances. Too many big dreams I guess. :(

@6pack No, there are 3D printers which can can print parts which are also used in space vehicles. However, they are prohibitively expensive. The affordable ones, if you call them as such, use low quality plastics and techniques to do their job. However, they are good at producing prototypes. For household printing the quality is acceptable, though improvements can be made.

There are also Bio-printers coming up, which use 3D-printing tech to print out living tissues or entire organs. I don't think we'll be seeing these being used commercially for at least 15 years or so. They'll revolutionise the medical field and perhaps extend human life by a couple decades.

I'm in the same boat as you. Lots of ideas, no idea on how to start off. There's also the fear of failure.

@Party Monger Good initiative mate! Let me know if you need any assistance, information about the scene in Pune. IIRC You are in Ngp, how is the Startup scene over there?
Thanks mate. I was sure there'd a nice discussion here. :D
Yes I'm from Nagpur. Will definitely come over to pune at the end of this year to get a feel of the communities there.
The startup scene in Nagpur is slooow. Its an opportunity and a bane.
I'l be a CA in a few months, so i'm getting my practice in line, and then a web startup in the same field.

Here's a massive list of Startup resources and tools from Steve Blank:

http://steveblank.com/tools-and-blogs-for-entrepreneurs/
Thanks, that helps :) I'l add it to the main post.

I've always been interested in 3D-Printing and its future; always wanted to dabble with it since at least 5 years for now. I don't have a flair for doing business though. I'm more of a technical guy who can do his research and work well.
3-D printing could be either way. Its a technology/resource, the success depends on the unique idea you put it to use in.

blkrbot , if you are confident about your product and if you put in your best efforts in it , theres no way you will fail

Thats the golden rule, isnt it :)

Back