The Stock Market Thread

But I am as bullish as ever on Indian equities :D.

Am waiting for my salary so that I can put it into the markets again, some awesome bargains available now.

With the blessings of my guruji Mr.Lynch, I will be reaping a windfall again :D.

Dont worry guys, you will get back the % :). Its been quite a while since I bought anything. I think my last investment(on stocks) was RPL ipo. Have been busting money ever since.

Its better to even out the jumps rather than a mad climb without any corrections. Maybe its time make a shopping list. Now only if I had some money.....

ntpc 4tw. After 5-6 months when the madness subsides, we shud see market back at 20-21k. Panic selling is what is to be avoided now.

Jan. 21 (Bloomberg) -- India's Sensitive Index fell for a sixth day, led by banking and software services shares on concern growth will slow as expectations rise of a recession in the U.S., the country's biggest trading partner.

ICICI Bank Ltd., the India's most valuable bank, fell the most since Dec. 24 and Infosys Technologies Ltd., the country's second largest exporter of software services, declined to a 19-month low.

``Concerns regarding a recession in the U.S. and the liquidity crunch have come together,'' said Jayesh Shroff, who helps manage $7.6 billion of assets at SBI Funds Management in Mumbai.

The Bombay Stock Exchange's Sensex, which fell 8.7 percent last week, dropped 747.36, or 3.9 percent, to 18,270.77 as of 12:45 p.m. local time, a two-month low. All 30 stocks on the benchmark declined and all 13 industry groups on the exchange dropped. The S&P CNX Nifty on the National Stock Exchange slipped 269.1, or 4.7 percent, to 5,436.15.

Reliance Industries, the nation's most valuable company, lost 99.5 rupees, or 3.6 percent, to 2,700. Larsen & Toubro Ltd., the largest construction and engineering firm, fell 210.1 rupees, or 5.4 percent, to 3,720.

Infosys Technologies declined 33.85 rupees, or 2.3 percent, to 1,430.5. Indian software services companies get more than 60 percent of their sales from the U.S.

The following stocks rose or fell. Stock symbols are in parentheses after company names.

Wipro Ltd. (WPRO IN) fell 19.35 rupees, or 4.3 percent, to 436 after Goldman Sachs Group Inc. said it cut its share price estimate for India's third largest exporter of software services to 390 rupees from 452, while maintaining its `neutral' rating on the stock. Similarly, Lehman Brothers reduced its estimate for Wipro's share price to 565 rupees from 619, while maintaining its `overweight' stance.

Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (DRRD IN) declined 35.9 rupees, or 5.3 percent, to 638.55. AstraZeneca Plc, the U.K.'s second- largest pharmaceutical company, sued Dr. Reddy's Laboratories to prevent India's biggest drugmaker from selling a generic version of the Nexium ulcer treatment, its biggest product, in the U.S. Dr. Reddy's is seeking Food and Drug Administration approval to sell low-cost versions of Nexium.

UltraTech Cement Ltd. (UTCEM IN) rose 8.1 rupees, or 0.9 percent, to 887. The second-biggest cement producer posted a 32 percent rise in third-quarter profit, beating analysts' forecasts, on higher sales and firm prices of the building material. Net income climbed to 2.79 billion rupees in the quarter ended Dec. 31 from 2.12 billion rupees a year earlier, the company said on Jan. 19. That beat the 2.28 billion rupee estimate by a Bloomberg survey of seven analysts.

From Bloomberg

Somehow i feel its not just global weakness or US recession, but something else, which is playing key role... Something which is hidden, but yet powerful... :|

Top losers were Reliance Communications (down 8.64%), NTPC (8.02%), Bajaj Auto (7.38%), DLF (7.11%), ICICI Bank (6.45%) and Larsen & Toubro (5.83%).

As I always maintain, People who hold fundamentally good companies and have a medium/long term view have no need to be perturbed. Its only the JaiCorps and LMLs that drive people crazy :D.

Back