The Stock Market Thread

Anil will be more in loss than Mukesh I can bet.

Ave been riding some of his stocks meself like Adlabs, bot at 760 in October and sold at 1860 in December :D. The guy rigs his stocks like hell, but we need not complain till it gives us the monies :D.

I again advice Retail people, Dont Panic Sell!!If your holdings are of fundamentally strong companies, dont panic sell!!

I'll take loans and buy stocks now, Godrej Industries looks delicious :D.

Hehe lost loads of money today, but am happy as I actually bought a lot of stuff at real cheap values todays...

Thanks to punters there was ahuge fall today, margin calls were triggered left, right and centre... LOL Theindian has not posted yet, must be really busy today etc...

i really dont understand what this stock market is all about...everytime i try to understand it goes over ma head.

if possible sum1 explain in a easy language .how it works..

and yeah because of this fall ..in BSE today ..did u ppl loose a lot of money..

err i mean was it ..a good enuff amount to buy a new gaming PC or somethin??

anyways..my condolences to all those who lost money..dont worry..u will all get it back ..with some other better investments !!

If I am not wrong, the Market as a whole was on an average at PE ratios of around 29 (Source: Country P/E Ratios Move Lower on Market Weakness - Seeking Alpha )

Peter Lynch suggests that we should compare the P/E ratio with the company growth rate. If they are about equal, he considers the stock fairly priced. If it is less than the growth rate, it may be a bargain. In general, a P/E ratio that's half the growth rate is very positive, and one that is twice the growth rate very negative.
Source: Analyzing Stocks: The Basics of Investing by Bob Robertson: The Sideroad

In that case, Since the overall economy growth rate <10% , the ratios of 29 are definitely not technically sound anyway.

So (And I hope I am wrong) the markets may fall a bit more to reach reasonable pricing....

EDIT: Please do not take my word for it. I am not a professional and a guy on the page with the PE ratios made a comment about their authenticity, so kindly confirm before forming opinions.

faheem_m said:
i really dont understand what this stock market is all about...everytime i try to understand it goes over ma head.
if possible sum1 explain in a easy language .how it works..

and yeah because of this fall ..in BSE today ..did u ppl loose a lot of money..
err i mean was it ..a good enuff amount to buy a new gaming PC or somethin??
anyways..my condolences to all those who lost money..dont worry..u will all get it back ..with some other better investments !!

Yeah, I cud buy a gaming PC with the duff I lost.
But am sure in an year, the same investments will give me enuff money to buy atleast 3 Gaming PCs :D.

Neo, While PEs are important, you cant judge the whole market based on PEs.
PEs are also sector specific, some sectors trade at low PEs while some have high, JK Lakshmi cement is trading at 3.6 PE while Burnpur cement is at 75-100 times.

So, while PE/EPS is a good parameter to judge stock prices, it cant be said to be an effective one in all of the economies (especially emerging ones like india where all valuations go for a toss, look at educomp, 300 times earnings,lol so a PE of 300).

Am afraid to look at my losses,lol.

Awaiting Fed Rate cut this month end.

Guys, one thing to notice is the TINY volumes.

Reliance Capital is down 7% on 700 shares traded.

This is surely RETAIL Panic selling which should be avoided.

Markets shud be at 22k levels again by the year end, I'll sell my chaddi and invest in this market now.

us market recession , us elections ...plus it was a very very long bullish run which made people jittery for a long time as to why was it going up so fast ..this was bound to happen ....but definitely yes ... buy buy buy

freaky market!! buy as much as u can.. Rel Cap... NTPC... Rel Ind... RCOM... EDELCAP... lost 10% of my portfolio today... thogh its far more less loss than others :)

Heh L&T at 3k levels wonder when did it reach those levels last...

Help Dartcoder in selling his chaddi and invest in the mkt!!!

Arre, this fall is mostly due to margin call which led to a spiral down effect
I picked up bunch of bargains y'day..
if only I can login to my account right now :sigh:

SO...do we expect a Chaddi GO :O

M patiently waiting 2 see the lowest limit of the market be4 buying. Ve 50K ready 2 invest.

My predictions:

ALOKIND Buy: 58 Sell:105 by march end

ASHOKLEY Buy: 28 Sell: 60+ " " "

NOIDATOL Buy: 58 Sell: 110 " " "

WOCKPHARMA Buy: 300 Sell: 445 " " "

Back