The Symbian Thread

IceFusion

Skilled
Tip 1 : Do u know how to use the edit button (abc or pencil button)?
Heres how... in the inbox for example; u wanna delete multiple sms, simply hold the edit button, scroll down, and then, press c to delete the marked sms. The edit button can also b used to copy and past text in sms, simply hold it and scroll across, choose copy. pretty good for placing song names in ngages

Tip 2 : Shit happens, on a smartphone, its inevitable u do something wrong, and this calls for a format of fone. to format the fone, press *#7370#, then enter the lock code, which is the sec code of the fone. NOTE: batt must b full, else if format is disrupted by low batt, consequences will b disatrous
I heard the code *#7780# works too, pretty much the same i tink.
for 6600 users, to format the fone, theres an alternative way. Press and hold <3>, <*>, and the buttons, then power on fone, keep holding on the 3 buttons, till u come to a format screen. tis method ONLY works on 6600, and need not enter the sec code. BUT sec code wun be reset to default 12345.

Tip 3 : TO NGAGE USERS; Did u know u can install .sis files simply using the cable given? Juz plug it in, place the .sis file anywhere on e: (the mmc), not in any folders, root of e:, disconnect, then look for it in manager.

Tip 4: Save on battery and system memory being used by regulary checking the task manager which can be accessed by holding down the menu button!!

Tip 5: Type *#06# to display your IMEI serial number, very valuable for the unlocking your phone to other sim cards...

Tip 6: Save memory when installing apps, by installing over bluetooth. This can be done using the nokia phone suite and a bluetooth serial connection. Only works with .SIS files, so java still has to be sent to the phone, but will save space when using .SIS files.

Tip 7: Operator logos
Use a filemanager like FExplorer or SeleQ to add the folders: "c:/system/Apps/phone/oplogo". Add a .bmp picture to folder "oplogo" and restart your phone! The .bmp picture size needs to be: 97 x 25 pixels

Tip 8: BlueJacking
First up, you need to know what Bluetooth is. There are lots of types of modern devices that incorporate Bluetooth as one of their many features. PDAs, mobile phones and laptops are a few of these modern devices. Bluetooth means that Bluetooth enabled devices can send things like phonebook/address book contacts, pictures & notes to other Bluetooth enabled devices wirelessly over a range of about 10 metres. So, we've got past the boring part. Now, using a phone with Bluetooth, you can create a phonebook contact and write a message, eg. 'Hello, you've been bluejacked', in the 'Name' field. Then you can search for other phones with Bluetooth and send that phonebook contact to them. On their phone, a message will popup saying "'Hello, you've been bluejacked' has just been received by Bluetooth" or something along those lines. For most 'victims' they will have no idea as to how the message appeared on their phone.

Tip 9: While you are viewing a picture in your phone's gallery, press one of these shortcut keys (definitely works on 6600, not sure about other symbians)
1 - turn image anticlockwise
3 - turn image clockwise
* - toggle on/off of full screen
5 - zoom in
0 - zoom out

A soft and Hard reset
A Soft-reset - the process of resetting all the settings of the phone to the factory default! No applications are deleted! A Hard-reset is like formatting a drive! It does format the memory. Everything that has been installed after the first use of the phone is deleted! It will recover the memory of the phone to the state you purchased it! It is done by inputing the following code: *#7370# NOTE: The battery must be full or the charger has to be connected to the phone so that it does not run out of power and make the phone unusable

Start up in Safe Mode so no 'auto start' apps will be running:

To make sure that no memory-resident programs start when you reboot your phone,
hold down the pencil key when you turn on the phone and hold it on untill you have to enter your PIN code.
(When you have trouble booting up the phone with the MMC in it because it got corrupted for some reason, this trick will
almost always let you boot up the phone so you can remove the latest installed app which might have caused the
problem or if your phone is "unrepairable" you can still back up your important data before you do a format.)

Good post! Very Useful! :hap2:
I vote this should be moved to "Guides and Tutorials" section after proper formatting & on the condition that this is original work of Icy! (I don't say I doubt it, either! :cool2: )

Edit - You got reps, mate! :eek:hyeah: :clap:

not my original work......collected from various sites over the time...:)

i comiled all the various tips into 1 file though...:p

Multi-Tasking & Using the Task Manager

Here's one from me:

Multi-Tasking & Using the Task Manager:

Introduction:

Most of you Symbian users might be knowing that this OS has a multi-tasking feature. A pretty nifty one, I must say!

In general sense, multi-tasking means being able to run multiple applications & games simultaneously. So, this means that you can run a quick game of tetris while working on your personal finance spreadsheet. This is just an example. You can run almost anything simultaneously! But, there's a down with this too, as is with most other good things! Here's the lowdown: The more applications & games you run multi-tasked, the more is the consumption of your battery power. Hence, I would recommend running only 2-3 softwares at a time. Also, try to shut down those apps which you don't need or which you have finished working with.

Usage:

Okay, enough of the introduction crap. Now, show me the real thing!

Well, here you go: Suppose you are working on a spreadsheet, and you suddenly feel that you need to use the calculator, then it would feel really cumbersome to save the sheet, exit the application, then open the calculator, do the calcutaion, and finally, return back to the spreadsheet program! Whew! Big deal!

In such a hysteria, you can ease your work by just pressing the "End Call" key, the key with a red symbol showing a phone with a slash on it (Please note that this symbol may differ from phone to phone; but the general red color on a big key is the norm.) On pressing this key, the current foreground app will be "Minimized" to the background and it will return to the home screen. Then, you can press the Menu button and open the app/game of your choice and carry on your work as you normally would. When you want to switch back to the previous app, again press the "End Call" key. Again, you'll be taken back to the Home screen. Keep the Menu button pressed until a list of running applications appears. Select your app using Directional Keys, then press the select button to open it. It will return to the state it was in when you "switched" your app.

Terminating an app/process using the task manger:

Sometimes, you might want to close a running application without switching back to it again. Say, an application gives you an error/WSOD or simply you don't want others nearby to view what the application is about (Read: Privacy/Security concerns.):eek:hyeah: Then, you just keep the Menu button pressed until the Task Manager gets into action, then select the desired app using D-Pad or Joystick. After selecting the app, press the "C" button. Task manager will ask to confirm if you want to close the app, say "Yes" and Lo and Behold! You are done.

P.S.: This is not taken from any site/forum/manual, this is purely my work; though there may be some resemblence to similar work on the net.:cool2::p

Note: Don't forget that a rep button exists in the right corner of this post, if you find this useful.:eek:hyeah::p

Check your firmware version:

Introduction:
A "Firmware" is the phone's operating system stored in internal Flash memory of the device (This flash memory shows up as disk Z in most file managers.) Manufacturers release new firmware versions containing bug fixes, improvements and - sometimes - offering new functions. Firmware upgrade can only be made in authorized Nokia service centre. It can be done at home using some tools, but that's a risky job. Also, you void the warranty when you manually do it yourself. So, I'd say, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" :p

Usage:
To check your current firmware version simply type *#0000# on main Phone screen.

Activate Backlight with phone locked:

Introduction:
Sometimes you want to check what's the time & you find that your keypad is locked. You are in a party, holding a drink in you one hand and you have only one hand to operate the phone. You are just too lazy to put the drink down and check the time! :p Then, the following trick comes to your rescue!

Usage:
If you have your keylock activated just press the on/off button to turn on your backlight to look at the time when it's dark without having to unlock the keypad. :clap:

Note: Don't forget that a rep button exists in the right corner of this post, if you find this useful.​

wow! here are some of mine....

hmmm following are some of my suggestions rather then tricks, although they are more related to software then hardware... :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Browser tricks::::
Yeah,, I know most of u already know this but fr those who do not....

u can configure an html browser even if u have a plain vanilla gprs connection(hutch-99)

whther in Netfront/opera/doris just enable the proxy, punch in the proxy ip provided by ur ISP, choose port as 9401(fr hutch,on 6600).. and whoosh ur ready to go!
I am writing this bcause I know a lot of people who have a gprs connection but just use inbuilt wap browser and not an html one, even thogh it is already there....

some more addition tips....
1)in net front it is better to have E:(mem card) as place fr cache.
2)keep cache minimum at 2 mb.(mine is 50 mb) ;)
3)even though Ntfrnt 3.2 and opera 6.2 support java pages,they still can't open many.
4)try txt only mode in ntfrnt.It is damn fast(3.2)
5)tell u warez secret but don't tell it to the mods,, netfront 3.2 is available as a fully workin version fr 45 days fr free... after 45 days just reinstall it to enjoy fr another 45 days;;; ha. :)
among the brosers skip doris. go fr either netfrnt 3.2 or Opera 6.2. If u have ngage or 3660 then ntfrnt 3.1 will suit ur phone better.

6)it might happen that many of files that u download over gprs are zip files;But no worries ! there is a softy called "zipman" that will allow u to zip and unzip compressed files right on ur symbian desktop.(right now they canwork with zip,rar and some other common ones). the only drawback being they cannot work with password protected archives.... :no:
7)there should be a very good antivirus on ur cellphone.maybe not fr virus but fr malware that happens to be everywhere on net....and those who were saying that mobile virus threat is overblown should have a look at locknut.fx2. it will have ur cell fr lunch and ask fr more :O ... anyway I suggest the following in this order:::

1)simworks
2)kasperasky
3)F-secure

and maybe commander also...
8)there should be a proper file manager on ur cell, not the one that nokia provides ok.it should more importantly allow u to rename ur files and their extensions too...
I suggest in this order::

1)Fileman(symbianware)
2)SeleQ
3)FeExplorer

Yeah I know many of u wanted to be able to send .sis and .jar files over bluetooth but were unable to do so.... so u can do it in two ways:::

1)use a software called "profimail".IT comes with "profiexplorer" that can well send anuthing u want over anythin to anyone.And it is the only app in the world that can do that currently... :cool2:

2)Another simple way is just rename that file to something.zip or .mp3(or any frmat that can be send frm ur phone) and send it to the concerned person.That person must then rename that file to original extension....

that's it fr now. If u have read till here menas u have also read the entire txt.I wanna thank u fr that.... I know some of u might grunt and object at some of my suggestions..but then these are meant to be just "suggestions" to those who need them.fr those who want somethin else just ask and I and others at TE will try to help.....

warez are not allowed or I would have posted the corresponding files here.. search in google and u will find or just... u know what..... :)

more power. bye bye.arpit.

anyway since we are allowerd to post links

wapain.net

visit this only with "wap" browser of ur phone and u will get most of the apps I mentiones,although they may be old versions.....

Alright, I sent some .midi files to a friend's 3230 using Bluetooth. The files come up as messages in her SMS inbox. How do I move these to another folder and set them as ringtones?

its easy techhead..just open the file in realplayer..dont let it play...stop it..go to options of the lpayer and there u will see an option of save to or move...

IceFusion said:
its easy techhead..just open the file in realplayer..dont let it play...stop it..go to options of the lpayer and there u will see an option of save to or move...

Woo! Got it, thanks a bunch dude.

TechHead said:
Alright, I sent some .midi files to a friend's 3230 using Bluetooth. The files come up as messages in her SMS inbox. How do I move these to another folder and set them as ringtones?
You can download a software called forward, it rocks !
Divert anything from inbox to a specific folder/drive

Icefusion the 2 codes for resetting are different. One just removes the softwares installed completely, while 7370 completely restores it to factory settings.

Useful Software for your Symbian S60 Phone

Ok dudes as the no. of people using s60 devices is increasing here,i thought of sharing info with you.

So read on:

I.Usefull and Must have software for s60 phones

Theese are the two MOST usefull software on a symbian phone.

1.FExplorer:

Type: Freeware

The nokia s60 devices are like a windows box without a file explorer.So to cover this huge defficiency a guy named Dominique Hugo.This is one of the best symbian freeware available.

http://www.gosymbian.com/fexplorer_new.php

Features:
1.Cut,copy,paste files from one folder to other and also bitween phone memory and MMC card
2.Usefull tools like screenshot taker,phone,network info etc. and many more.

2.Resco Viewer:

Type: Shareware

The default gallery feature on the phone is just OK to view multimedia files somewhat akin to the M$ photo and fax viewer on the PC.But if u truely want a good and easy experiance,u must need an app. like rescoviewer.It serves the same purpose as Irfanview on a windows meachine.

Here are some of the features of rescoviewer:

1.Keyboard shortcuts to each and evry function
2.Slideshows(variable timings bitween slide changes)
3.Basic image editing functions such as
brightness
contrast
resize
crop
colour correction etc.
4.Basic file explorer (only displays image files).

For more info and trial downloads
http://www.symbiangear.com/product.html?pid=8789,8791,45166

For more screenshots:

http://www.resco.net/symbian/photoviewer_s60/screenshots.asp
II.Cool things to do with your symbian phone

1.Control Winamp:

A.Bemused:

Type: Freeware

Bemused is a free app to control winamp with your phone.The software is very simple to use and once configured,all u need to ues it is to connect it to the system via BT.

http://bemused.sourceforge.net/

Some features of Bemused are:

1.Browse your music collection on your phone
2.Play files in any format supported by Winamp - including MP3s, CDs, MIDIs, etc.
3.Control Winamp versions 2, 3 and 5, Windows Media Player and PowerPoint Viewer
4.Pause, stop, rewind, fast-forward etc.
5.Add songs to the playlist and use shuffle and repeat
6.Browse and select songs in your playlist
7.Download songs to your phone (supported formats: WAV and MIDI; plus MP3 for UIQ)
8.Customise the look of the system with skins

Screenshots:

12yj1.jpg
25yw.jpg
30gs.jpg
[/URL]

B.Control Freak:

Type: Shareware

Control Freak is a winamp controller similar to bemused but many added features.

http://mtvoid.com/overview.html

With control freak you can:

1.Control your music collection
2.Control music playing
3.controll windows desktop
4.COOL graphic equalizer

Screenshots:

Here is controll freak on my nokia 6600:

Theese all software are tested and used by me for over ~3 months.If you have any doubts just ask.

Mod Edit :

Contribution by IceFusion

Psiloc Total irRemote

This little software lets you control your TV and other compatible electronics equipment through IR of your phone

The list of supported brands is long and contains following manufactures and their compatibles: Admiral, Aiwa, Akai, Allsat, Anitech, Apex, Aristona, Avex, Barco, Blaupunkt, Bush, CCE, Crown, Cyberhome, Daewoo, Denon, Elemis, Elitron, Finlux, Funai, Galaxis, GoldStar, Grundig, Hitachi, ITT-Nokia, JVC, Kenwood, LG, Lifetec, Loewe, Magnavox, Manhattan, Marantz, Mark, Matsui, Meliconi, Mitsubishi, Nec, Nokia, Onkyo, Orava, Orion, Panasonic, Philips, Phonola, Pioneer, RCA, Portland, Rubin, Samsung, Salora, Sanyo, Schneider, SEG, Sharp, Sherwood, SKY-Digital, Sony, Synudyne, Technics, TechniSat, Tesla, Thomson, Tivo, Toshiba, UK-Digital, UK-OnDigital, Universum, Watson, Yamaha, Zenith

10 days trial

http://www.psiloc.com/?id=152

Thanx for the replies!Ill try to add more softwares as and when i get the oppertunity.BTW i have many more intresting things for the s60 platform.

i am using that control freak from 6-7 months and can say this is the best software i have ever came across ..... anyways other softwares i use are smart movie,DVD player, ultra MP3 and SP mark .... for bench marking mine phone .....

Back