Monitors The Typical Monitor Upgrade Thread

Nir-V-aNa

Disciple
Hello my fellow TEiites
<

My 17" Philips lcd has served me well for over 6 yrs now and is still going strong but I feel the time to move on has come.

I am looking to buy something in the 23" to 27" bracket. I work on 24" & 30" displays at work and coming back home to work on a 17" is a bit uncomfortable. I am a 3D artist so my professional requirements are my first priority followed by HD movies and then gaming, if time permits. To those in the know, I work on Maya, Photoshop & Fusion and so needless to say features like color accuracy take importance over response time etc.

Now, like a good buoy I did some reading around on TE instead of blindly asking to be pointed in the right direction and the names I came up with are :

1) BenQ M2700HD

2) Asus PA246Q

3) Asus PA238Q

4) Dell U2311H

5) Dell U2312HM

6) Dell U2412M

My budget is around 18k I guess. So please help me choose the bestesttt model to suit my needs and budget. I do game a fair bit whenever I get the time so please dont suggest a model that gives a brilliant display but s*cks at gaming. A bit of both but leaning more towards productivity is what I seek. I prefer LEDs over LCDs because of the power consumption. And also because of their terrific ASS, I am leaning towards dell over asus and benq.

So then, fire away my friends!
<

Ya ASS is also important, but when compared I think the Asus PA246Q, is totally awesome, but mind well it costs around 24k

In the options you have listed the Dell U2312HM is successor to the U2311H, and I own one, and can say its awesome

But seeing you require color accuracy I would suggest the Asus PA238Q again, which fits your budget of 18k

Have no idea about the Benq one

Thanks for the reply, I guess the PA246Q is not an option in my budget then.

I just got a quote from PrimeABGB for a few of them.

1) U2312HM = 14650

2) PA238Q = 17500

3) U2412M = 20800

Rest are not in stock.

So I guess that narrows it down to the U2312HM & PA238Q.

I dont mind buying either of them but is the Asus worth the extra 3k? Not to mention their not so mentionable ASS. What is their warranty policy regarding replacement and repair?

TIA
<

If you can spend approx 20k, just get a good TN 27", 27" is much bigger than 24", no matter what anybody says or things
<

Totally the Asus is worth the 3k extra, but if you are really concerned about ASS then you can go with Dell, but afaik asus products dont malfunction that often niether do dells, so now its your choice

Moreover the asus one has a 10bit panel and lookup table opposed to the 6-bit panel in dell so the colors are more accurate in asus monitor

Don't buy anything from Asus in India, Rashi has the worst aftersales in India, it is purely crap.

Dell doesn't have good service either, but it is definitely not as bad as Rashi.

@Rite He has mentioned that he uses photoshop and needs a great color accuracy. So, TN won't suit him.

@OP Asus PA238Q is a great overall monitor which is suitable for work as well as entertainment. It's clearly the best in the lot you've mentioned. Go through a review of it once if you still haven't, especially the one by prad.de. It doesn't use an eIPS panel like U2312HM. Regarding the ASS, I remember reading somewhere in this forum that it's not as bad as other rashi handled stuff. But better confirm it once.

Okay, after reading all your recommendations and a couple of reviews, I am really tempted to go for the Asus PA238Q. Only thing holding me back is the iffy warranty. I know in the end its gonna be my decision, but I still need help deciding
<

So, in my shoes, would you guys go for the asus despite the ASS?

Absolutely, the asus one is near perfect, the reason I chose the dell monitor was that at the time of buying it was not available and pricey(>20k), so had to settle with dell, if you love it go with it dont settle with anything less

Well then, its settled. I booked the Asus PA238Q today evening. It should arrive by monday afternoon if things go smoothly. Thank you so much for all your valuable inputs everyone, you guys are the best
<

<3 TE

Lol, a review from me for you guys would be like nehra teaching sachin to bat
<

I can maybe tell you guys how the packaging is, my first impression of the monitor, how hard it was to set up and maybe run a few lcd tests and post the results
<

Can anyone please guide me to a good lcd/led test? I have one but it just lets you test the screen manually, doesn't exactly give results per se. Here is the one I know :

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

I googled a few but would like to know which ones you recommend.

Also, what are the things I must check immediately when I receive the package? I know dead pixels for one, how do i check for backlight-bleeding? Anything else?

@allrounder799

tftcentral doesnt have a review on the PA238Q
<

Anyhow, the monitor has arrived
<

I also bought a few other things along with it within this week so I will create a thread in the show-off section with some pics!
<

Thanks once again, everyone, for your valuable inputs!

There has been quite a spread of misinformation on this thread.

Ya ASS is also important, but when compared I think the Asus PA246Q, is totally awesome, but mind well it costs around 24k

In the options you have listed the Dell U2312HM is successor to the U2311H, and I own one, and can say its awesome

But seeing you require color accuracy I would suggest the Asus PA238Q again, which fits your budget of 18k

Have no idea about the Benq one

The PA246Q would indeed have been ideal for OP's use. It uses a P-IPS panel and is calibrated for excellent color reproduction. #Saiyan has done a review on the same and he would testify to this fact. Also, last time i checked, the 246Q cost well above 27K.

Both the Dells cannot be compared to the 246Q as they both use e-IPS panels. These are the cheapest IPS panels around and while they are head and shoulders above their TN counterparts, they can no where come close to the quality of P-IPS or H-IPS panels, especially in terms of color reproduction, black levels and overall quality. Also the PA246Q is a 16:10 monitor (and CCFL backlit) while the Dells are 16:9. To some people, that matters a lot.

Again, the ASUS PA238Q and the Dell U2312HM use the same e-IPS panel. That panel is an LG OEM and is LED-backlit. AFAIK, thats the only 23" LED IPS panel at the moment in the world. The Dell U2311H used the older CCFL-backlit panel (also from LG) and the general view is that it stands better than its successor (2312). Check up the review on tftcentral confirming this fact with tests. But it's out of stock almost everywhere and even if one manages to get one, if and when RMA time arrives then Dell will send the newer 2312HM.

The PA238Q is better than the Dells mainly because it's factory calibrated. It's color reproduction out-of-the-box is far better than the two Dells due to this reason alone. Another advantage in favour of the PA238Q is an HDMI-out (I bought it for this reason). Neither of the Dells have it. The ASUS is also very well built. As for the cons, the unit is plagued with backlight bleed problems. Issues have been reported from all over the world regarding this aspect.

As for the price, i had bought it for 16.5K at the height of the Rupee massacre. Might have come down since then.

Totally the Asus is worth the 3k extra, but if you are really concerned about ASS then you can go with Dell, but afaik asus products dont malfunction that often niether do dells, so now its your choice

Moreover the asus one has a 10bit panel and lookup table opposed to the 6-bit panel in dell so the colors are more accurate in asus monitor

The first part of your statement is right. The HDMI-out, better color reproduction and response times are indeed worth the extra 3K over the 2312HM. But the rest is not correct.

It's not about the chances of a product malfunctioning. The question arises as to what after the product does malfunction. This is where Dell scores over ASUS with its ASS. Additionally, people do not have to fret over the ASUS-Rashi association anymore especially in the case of LCDs/Laptops. Neoteric Infomatique Ltd. are the nationwide onsite service partners of ASUS specifically for LCD monitors and laptops. And having dealt with them I assure you they are far better than what Rashi can ever manage. I routed my RMA through them and while the solution was not to my expectations, Neoteric was fully co-operative and the local guys really bent their back for my case. I really do hope for them to cover the entire range of ASUS products for ASS in future.

The ASUS PA238Q does not have a 10-bit panel. In fact, just like the Dells, it's a pseudo 8-bit panel (6-bit+FRC). Not even a proper 8-bit panel. The better color reproduction is simply down to factory calibration.

The ASUS PA246Q is an 8-bit+FRC panel IINW, again a pseudo 10-bit panel.

@Rite He has mentioned that he uses photoshop and needs a great color accuracy. So, TN won't suit him.

@OP Asus PA238Q is a great overall monitor which is suitable for work as well as entertainment. It's clearly the best in the lot you've mentioned. Go through a review of it once if you still haven't, especially the one by prad.de. It doesn't use an eIPS panel like U2312HM. Regarding the ASS, I remember reading somewhere in this forum that it's not as bad as other rashi handled stuff. But better confirm it once.

The panel on the PA238Q uses an e-IPS panel from LG. Yes, its overall a great monitor. Good color reproduction, HDMI, good response times and a great build makes it ideal for normal home use. But i am not sure of its suitability for professional work. The PA246Q is more suited to that sphere.

Personally, i am not a fan of the black levels on the PA238Q (not homogenous) although it is certainly better than any other TN panel around. Add to the fact its notorious backlight bleeding problem.

If you can spend approx 20k, just get a good TN 27", 27" is much bigger than 24", no matter what anybody says or things
<

Nobody is disputing that. But that is not quite the bone of contention, is it?

@allrounder799

tftcentral doesnt have a review on the PA238Q
<

Anyhow, the monitor has arrived
<

I also bought a few other things along with it within this week so I will create a thread in the show-off section with some pics!
<

Thanks once again, everyone, for your valuable inputs!

For starters, please check for the existence of any backlight bleed in your unit. That is the most common problem with this product and the reason why I was given 3 replacements (each was worse). Switch off the lights in your room and turn on the monitor with a fully black display picture. Some amount of glow (known as IPS glow) is normal on IPS panels and that too specifically on e-IPS panels. But any bleeding is instanly recognisable with the white light from the LED backlight escaping through the panel.

Something like this... [

media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS3dPwxTJCs[/media][/media]

@eternomind: So much knowledge to share after the OP already purchased the monitor

What I see wrong was

Got wrong that PA238Q has10 bit panel, but I can bet it has 10-bit lookup table

and underestimated the price of PA246Q

Also the PA246Q might be better for OP but he rejected it right from beginning because it was out of his budget

Anyways thanks for corrections

@eternoMind

So much info, After I made the purchase!
<
I am just glad that all the info you have given concludes that I made the right purchase....I think. Or I'm fine even if I just managed to get the best monitor I could buy in my budget
<
I initially had a budget of 10-11k but keeping in mind the IPS panel, I extended it to 14k for the dell. But then came the asus and I stretched it even further till 18k but that was about as far as I could go. So yeah, the PA246Q was definitely out of contention. Also, the asus website does mention that it has a 10-bit look up table, unless I have misunderstood what you are trying to say. I checked the monitor with lights off and a fully black screen and yes, it does have a little bit of the IPS glow but fortunately no backlight bleeding, touchwood. The color of the glow varies from mild tones of orange to purple to blue depending on the angle I am viewing it from but thats about it. And it cost me 17.5k so the price has gone up actually. Regarding the warranty I read about Neoteric Infomatique on the asus website as well, so thats a load of my back. Your mouth = clarified butter + sugar (tere muh mein ghee shakkar
<
<
)

@everyone

As for my first impression of the monitor, the display is absolutely gorgeous. The colors are vibrant and HD movies absolutely come alive on it. I haven't yet played any games on it so can't comment on any ghosting issues. I work on dell & apple monitors at my office and the asus holds its own against them. Not to mention I upgraded from a 17 incher to a 23 inch widescreen IPS at home, so i guess anyone can imagine what that feels like. This feels larger than the 24" dell I have at work but thats just because the office is a large open space whereas this is in a much smaller space. At the office, anything lesser than a 30 incher feels standard, so I guess that's that.

I do have some doubts regarding the connectivity. The monitor came with a host of cables (more than I have seen with any product ever)....namely 3 power cables, 1 usb cable, 1 displayport, 1 DVI & 1 VGA cable. The HDMI cable was unfortunately not included. Now I connected the monitor using the VGA cable I assume because that is the message it shows when I boot the pc (VGA Signal). So what are the other cables for? Do I have the option of connecting via any other cable on my gpu? and if yes, does it have any specific advantage? like enhancing the display in any way? Also how & with what do I use the usb cable?

Sorry if I've bundled too many questions into one & thank you for the patience
<

- Yes you can connect using any cable. I recommend using DVI or Displayport (or HDMI, but dont bother since they've not included the cable). VGA is analog and at those resolutions wouldn't be sharp and would be susceptible to noise.

- The PA238Q has 4 USB 2.0 ports on it, effectively acting like a USB hub. The USB cable is to hook up your monitor 'hub' to a USB port on your PC, allowing you to plug (more) USB devices into the monitor instead of your cabinet.

The Asus PA238Q uses the same LG LM230WF3 panel as the Dell. So its 6-bit + AFRC.

But it uses a 10-bit lookup table which should help improve gradation.

Enjoy your new panel
<

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]
@eternoMind

So much info, After I made the purchase!
<
I am just glad that all the info you have given concludes that I made the right purchase....I think. Or I'm fine even if I just managed to get the best monitor I could buy in my budget
<
I initially had a budget of 10-11k but keeping in mind the IPS panel, I extended it to 14k for the dell. But then came the asus and I stretched it even further till 18k but that was about as far as I could go. So yeah, the PA246Q was definitely out of contention. Also, the asus website does mention that it has a 10-bit look up table, unless I have misunderstood what you are trying to say. I checked the monitor with lights off and a fully black screen and yes, it does have a little bit of the IPS glow but fortunately no backlight bleeding, touchwood. The color of the glow varies from mild tones of orange to purple to blue depending on the angle I am viewing it from but thats about it. And it cost me 17.5k so the price has gone up actually. Regarding the warranty I read about Neoteric Infomatique on the asus website as well, so thats a load of my back. Your mouth = clarified butter + sugar (tere muh mein ghee shakkar
<
<
)

@everyone

As for my first impression of the monitor, the display is absolutely gorgeous. The colors are vibrant and HD movies absolutely come alive on it. I haven't yet played any games on it so can't comment on any ghosting issues. I work on dell & apple monitors at my office and the asus holds its own against them. Not to mention I upgraded from a 17 incher to a 23 inch widescreen IPS at home, so i guess anyone can imagine what that feels like. This feels larger than the 24" dell I have at work but thats just because the office is a large open space whereas this is in a much smaller space. At the office, anything lesser than a 30 incher feels standard, so I guess that's that.

I do have some doubts regarding the connectivity. The monitor came with a host of cables (more than I have seen with any product ever)....namely 3 power cables, 1 usb cable, 1 displayport, 1 DVI & 1 VGA cable. The HDMI cable was unfortunately not included. Now I connected the monitor using the VGA cable I assume because that is the message it shows when I boot the pc (VGA Signal). So what are the other cables for? Do I have the option of connecting via any other cable on my gpu? and if yes, does it have any specific advantage? like enhancing the display in any way? Also how & with what do I use the usb cable?

Sorry if I've bundled too many questions into one & thank you for the patience
<

Yes, i am late to the party
<
!![/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Its a good purchase, no doubt about it. More so considering that yours doesn't have any bleed. Happy for you
<
. The bleed itself can be ignored if one chooses to but too much of it hampers the movie-watching exprience. [/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]There are a few 22" LG IPS models in the 10-11K range but there are not many reviews on them. Whatever few were there bemoaned the slow response times and average PQ of those LCDs. Plus they also lack the highly-functional stand and build of the ASUS and Dells. [/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Good to know that ASUS has chosen not to be covert about their association with Neoteric. I did not know about them and was dreading the RMA with Rashi before the ASUS CC told me about it. People who prefer Rashi (if they exist) can still go to them as they continue to remain the offsite ASS handlers for ASUS products. You actually have a choice. [/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]The PA238Q does come with a host of cables. Eddy has put it perfectly. My PC is hooked upto the monitor via DVI (HD5670) along with a HD STB via HDMI (cable came with the STB). I don't have use for the USB ports but it's quite useful if you happen to use multiple USB peripherals. [/font]

So just to check the moral of the story, sub 20k or rather 18k range, Asus PA238Q is the best monitor to buy, even when compared to U2312HM ? For gaming and movies ?

Back