OC & Modding The Ultimate GPU mod/OCing Thread

greentechie

Disciple
Post All the overclocking and Soft/hard mods of different GPUs in this thread
so lets kik start this thread, ,... here goes!!
NOTE:
1. These are not My Guides

2. Try them at your own risk, although they worked fine for me and my friends. just make sure u do it right and ur off well.
:D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Edit:
SOURCE:

Guide : Softmodding Radeon X800Pro VIVO to X800XT

LINK1

LINK2
The Radeon Overclocking Guide

LINK

Equipment & files required

2 x floppy discs

DrDos boot disk creator:
FlashROM 2.37 + floppy creator:
Gigabyte Flash utility & X800 XT BIOS: HERE
Retail ATI X800 XT BIOS: HERE

**BEFORE FLASHING THE BIOS, MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR OLD ONE**
**As Always Flashing Is Risky. Do At Your Own Risk. I Shall Not Be Liable For Any Damage Cause.**

***********************************************************************************************************

To back up your BIOS: (Floppy 'A')
Create a bootable floppy disc with flashrom on it by double clicking the Flasher+Floppy2.37.exe. Restart the PC with the floppy disc inserted & boot in DOS. Once activity has ceased you will be at the A:\ prompt, type the following command line to back up your existing BIOS: flashrom -s 0 backup.bin
You now have a file on the floppy disc named 'backup.bin' this is your original BIOS which you may require at a later date.

Remove the floppy disc & reboot the PC.

***********************************************************************************************************
To flash to the Gigabyte X800XT BIOS for enabling the 4 locked pipelines (Floppy 'B')
Create a bootable floppy disc by double clicking the DrDos boot disc creator. Unzip the Gigabyte Flash utility & X800 XT BIOS, then place the files on the floppy disc. Restart the PC with the floppy disc inserted & boot in DOS. Once activity has ceased you will be at the A:\ prompt, type the following command line to flash the BIOS:

GVF11 -p -f A:\r80x256v.f1

To flash to the ATI Retail X800 XT BIOS, for improved over clock (Floppy 'A')

Insert floppy disc 'A' into into the floppy drive (leaving existing files in tact). Place the downloaded Retail ATI X800 XT BIOS ( X800XT.bin ) on to the floppy. Restart the PC with the floppy disc inserted & boot in DOS. Once activity has ceased you will be at the A:\ prompt, type the following command line to flash the BIOS:

flashrom -p -f 0 X800XT.bin

**********************************************************************************************************

I recommend you retain the 2 floppy discs for future use.

If you have followed the instructions carefully you should have a fully fledged ATI Radeon X800 XT 520mhz core / 560mhz memory.

Due to the heat generated by the additional 4 pipelines your maximum core over clock is likely to be reduced by on average 20mhz.

Thats All! :hap2:

Keep this is mind this guide works with ANY kind of ati radeon no matter what version it is and no matter if it is pci or agp....NOT ONLY FOR 9800 PRO!

Firstly i recommend for you to d/l the omega drivers from http://www.omegacorner.com/ or if u want to stick with the catalyst thats not a problem. Omega drivers come bundled up with 2 utilities called ati tool and radlinker.
If u are using the catalyst drivers you should download these 2 utilities seperately.
radlinker from
HERE
And ATI TOOL

here are a few screenshots of what radlinker looks like and take note this program runs in your background and is used for manual o/cing
untitled.gif

untitled2.gif

untitled3.gif

and this is a picture of ati tool running on the system

pic1.jpg

Well to find how much ur card can b o/ced u will have to click the max core tab which is highlighted in this pic

pic2.jpg

let the software run tests for about half n hr to an hr to see how much ur card can go till.

Now to find ur cards max memory
Click the tab highlighted on this pic and let the test run for a while

pic3.jpg

Note: Memory wont o/c too much unless u get ramsinks for ur card.

When you see that artifacts (whitespots) are appearing on the graphic i suggest u turn the tests off (note the speed till they appear because thats the maximum o/c for the card) do not go above that. You can also go on search for artifacts to see if ur cards o/c is stable

P.s:all cards are different, some may o/c a lot and some wont it all depends on ur luck.

Now to use Radlinker
This program runs in the back ground so basically all you have to do is find the max memory / core of the card and input those frequencies into radlinker. Dont go above values from which artifacts appear. To use it just rite click on the game icon and go to create radlink.

pic4.jpg

an identical icon will appear. so rite click on that icon and go to properties and in properties u will see this:

pic5.jpg

go to the clock rate tab and u will see this from here u can adjust the frequency of speed which is used in the game.

pic6.jpg

You can use only ati tool if u want for o/cing and radlinker is just an extra. In ati tool when u close the window the frequencies will be the same as u left them so if u dont want them manually adjust them or click on default and ur cards speeds will come back to normal. I prefer ati tool as it does a general o/c and radlinker only does it on specific softwares but its ur choice.

Well thats the end of this.
Just remember i am not held responsible for any damage of your card

What part of my post did you not get ? Post the source or i'll have to get this thread closed. Presenting other people's work as one's own or not quoting the source is considered unethical. :)

Links to 1st guide: http://paddy007uk.freeservers.com/VGAbios/ATI RADEON x800 Pro VIVO FLASH GUIDE.htm
http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=techdisplayadapters&Number=2712704

2nd: http://www.trippingwires.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67

EDIT: Also those images r huge. Upload them at imageshack.us and post them as thumbs.

Blade_Runner said:
What part of my post did you not get ? Post the source or i'll have to get this thread closed. Presenting other people's work as one's own or not quoting the source is considered unethical. :)

well the source is from some international forums i used to surf. and YES these forums DONOT have copyright issues. its not copyrighted material anyway, since it was laready on public forums. its purely information/guides that people use on their systems.

if I post a GUIDE from any website, then ill definetely post the source of it. I have many Guides on my PC at the moment and im Just trying to share them :)

i own a radeon and ive used this guide to overclock my GPU.

greentechie said:
well the source is from some international forums i used to surf. and YES these forums have copyright issues. its not copyrighted material anyway, since it was laready on public forums. its purely information/guides that people use on their systems.

i own a radeon and ive used this guide to overclock my GPU.
Ahem not including credits where due and copyrights are two different things. Deliberately trying to modify the original version of the guide is also one of them. You havent included line in the 2nd guide with the authors e-mail id

Tripping wires forum said:
There might be mistakes in this so plz correct me if im wrong anywhere and if u have any problems feel free to pm me or email me at xain_xxx@hotmail.com

Thats quite unethical, no matter how noble was you intent on posting it here.

EDIT: Err 1st guide as well
Due to the heat generated by the additional 4 pipelines your maximum core over clock is likely to be reduced by on average 20mhz.
By -=: Paddy007UK :=-

Whereas your "personal" touch

Thats All!

oh man ! it would be unethical if i took the credit or sold it(even worse) in the FIRST PLACE.
my intention was just to provide ppl with information since i thought this place might use some GPU guides.

let me reiterate, that these forums are PUBLIC FORUMS. and once nething gets public, its no body's domain.

ive got couple of other guides on my PC. so shoud i post them or u can go ahead with closing the thread.

greentechie said:
oh man ! it would be unethical if i took the credit or sold it(even worse) in the FIRST PLACE.
my intention was just to provide ppl with information since i thought this place might use some GPU guides.

let me reiterate, that these forums are PUBLIC FORUMS. and once nething gets public, its no body's domain.

ive got couple of other guides on my PC. so shoud i post them or u can go ahead with closing the thread.
"Forums dont have coprights", "being put up on public domain" whats wrong with you ? Posting the guides on public domain still doesnt mean ANYONE can change some parts of it and post it anywhere they want. The copyright or wwhatever still remains with the original author. So quoting them is a norm. Since we were at "international" forums i thought u'd understand. I have no problem with you posting the guides; just post them with a source link below.

Imagining things your way every piece of review, news and info since it's on the "public" domain would have been plagiarised and copied. If you still dont get what i am saying then i am afraid i'll ask this thread to be closed.

Blade_Runner said:
"Forums dont have coprights", "being put up on public domain" whats wrong with you ? Posting the guides on public domain still doesnt mean ANYONE can change some parts of it and post it anywhere they want. The copyright or wwhatever still remains with the original author. So quoting them is a norm. Since we were at "international" forums i thought u'd understand. I have no problem with you posting the guides; just post them with a source link below.

Imagining things your way every piece of review, news and info since it's on the "public" domain would have been plagiarised and copied. If you still dont get what i am saying then i am afraid i'll ask this thread to be closed.

ok ! got it.

links coming from now on. i thought they looked good at one place :tongue:

i havent read the forum rules. plz qoute a link.

greentechie said:
thx nikhil
from forum rules.
that was meant for ppl posting links to their own site in their siggys and such, not for informational content.

please give credit to other peoples work where its due

Back