The Ultimate Ultraportable is here!

Congrats on the purchase.

Although the specs are good the thinkpad design is a bit too dated for my taste.

Infact the logo has remained the same for the past two decades.

psyph3r said:
Congrats on the purchase.

Although the specs are good the thinkpad design is a bit too dated for my taste.

Infact the logo has remained the same for the past two decades.

That is exactly why people buy a ThinkPad. Why change something which works well ? I'm pretty sure any Thinkpad user would be pretty pissed if the next revision came with glossy lids n swirl patterns :)

@OP : Congrats ! Great choice. I've got to chose between the X220 and the MBP myself. Leaning heavily towards the X220. Genuine question , got it shipped here or brought down via an acquaintance ? The price difference seems to be pretty huge between India and the US models.

If you choose the MBP u risk labelling yourself as either a homosexual or a girl (according to surveys out there women and gay men are the ones who use apple products)

Jokes apart - go for the x220. I am doing a review as we speak and the scores I have been able to generate are simply off the charts. with an updated bios i have managed to get scores in excess of whatever has been posted on the other reviews of the x220. the laptop ram has been upped to 8gb ddr3 with an additional 4gb of corsair ddr3. With the upcoming intel 310 80gb ssd msata. the overall score will be off the charts! I have in very few instances in my life in my 16 years of using computers felt such limitless power at my disposal. And as a part of the teaser - I managed to rack up close to 8000 marks in pcmarks - that is brutally powerful for any laptop of any size. its faster than most mainstream desktop processors. Its twice as powerful as my 955 X4 amd cpu powering my gaming desktop. the battery life for video playback non stop on the 9 cell battery -- mind you x.264 mkv files -- was almost 10 hours. to be honest 10 hours and 2 minutes in the balanced power mode with thinkpad's default settings. You must be clinically insane to go for anything other than a thinkpad. and mind you thinkpads will outlive the mbp anyday. and the insane levels of customization and upgradeability you can do with the x220 is simply mindboggling.

For pc mark scores - check this - http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu

My x220 with its core i7 2620m notched up 7980, 7940,7960 and 7980 again in all the runs. My 955 x4 AMD phenom notches up 4000 pc marks. see the difference.

If anyone puts form/design over functionality, performance and to some extent self dignity look no further than the MBP. for human beings who crave understated elegance, limitless power performance and dignity - consider a thinkpad. its as simple as that.

It was shipped here by someone coming from USA. Ciscotech assisted. I am eternally grateful to Nisarg(ciscotech)

^^ Ok , i'm convinced :) I do put design a bit ahead but the Thinkpad is a classic design in itself which is why it was the only other choice :)

Will be waiting to read your review. Do make sure to add loads of pics especially of the battery section. I'd like to see what kind of a bulge the 9cell creates.

check the photos in the first post. the 9 cell battery hardly adds any bulk and weighs upto 1.65 kg with the 9 cell battery. i will try to publish the review by Tuesday or Wednesday. yet to run AIDA 64 and a few other benchmarks. The only place it may hurt people looking for the perfect ultraportable would be the graphics. intel hd 3000 is decent but a switchable graphics option like the thinkpad t series would make this the perfect laptop. but the game benchmarks are yet to be done - so lets see. casual gaming should be possible. although gaming wouldn't be much fun on such a tiny screen.

Rs.1366 from Flipkart.

Forgot to add this to the list.

Review almost complete to be published soon.

sunny27 said:
If you choose the MBP u risk labelling yourself as either a homosexual or a girl (according to surveys out there women and gay men are the ones who use apple products)

Jokes apart - go for the x220. I am doing a review as we speak and the scores I have been able to generate are simply off the charts. with an updated bios i have managed to get scores in excess of whatever has been posted on the other reviews of the x220. the laptop ram has been upped to 8gb ddr3 with an additional 4gb of corsair ddr3. With the upcoming intel 310 80gb ssd msata. the overall score will be off the charts! I have in very few instances in my life in my 16 years of using computers felt such limitless power at my disposal. And as a part of the teaser - I managed to rack up close to 8000 marks in pcmarks - that is brutally powerful for any laptop of any size. its faster than most mainstream desktop processors. Its twice as powerful as my 955 X4 amd cpu powering my gaming desktop. the battery life for video playback non stop on the 9 cell battery -- mind you x.264 mkv files -- was almost 10 hours. to be honest 10 hours and 2 minutes in the balanced power mode with thinkpad's default settings. You must be clinically insane to go for anything other than a thinkpad. and mind you thinkpads will outlive the mbp anyday. and the insane levels of customization and upgradeability you can do with the x220 is simply mindboggling.

For pc mark scores - check this - Best Processors December - 2011

My x220 with its core i7 2620m notched up 7980, 7940,7960 and 7980 again in all the runs. My 955 x4 AMD phenom notches up 4000 pc marks. see the difference.

If anyone puts form/design over functionality, performance and to some extent self dignity look no further than the MBP. for human beings who crave understated elegance, limitless power performance and dignity - consider a thinkpad. its as simple as that.

It was shipped here by someone coming from USA. Ciscotech assisted. I am eternally grateful to Nisarg(ciscotech)

Or you can label yourself as a retard by buying a thinkpad, its not by survey. Jokes apart congrats on your purchase, enjoy benchmarking.

Back