The US sues Apple for monopolistic practices

The euros have been pushing similar for a while now. But for the DOJ to step in means a line has been crossed.

This anti competive law is over a century old. It was used to break up Standard Oil back then. After the Bell telephone company. Apple won't get broken up but some things will have to change.

Leave the edgy kid on the block alone, let him cook. He is the only game in town, different from the rest, thinking outside the box, always comes late to party but comes with a BANG. :grimacing:
Right now the kid has been cooked instead of him cooking.. Also why a he apple sounds more like the often stereotyped passive aggressive she to me

The euros have been pushing similar for a while now. But for the DOJ to step in means a line has been crossed.

This anti competive law is over a century old. It was used to break up Standard Oil back then. After the Bell telephone company. Apple won't get broken up but some things will have to change.
Too little and too late. They let too much power consolidate with FAANG / MAMAA or whatever you want to call it. Apple might not be broken up but Meta, Alphabet, Amazon are prime targets because they control too much of the tech space in a lot of directions.

Too little and too late. They let too much power consolidate with FAANG / MAMAA or whatever you want to call it. Apple might not be broken up but Meta, Alphabet, Amazon are prime targets because they control too much of the tech space in a lot of directions.
Yeah coming back to monopoly on phones... I am so glad android is there and it has gotten to such a wonderful stage... I don't know how I would have lived with myself if there was no android and I had to pay for apple tax compulsorily

Yeah coming back to monopoly on phones... I am so glad android is there and it has gotten to such a wonderful stage... I don't know how I would have lived with myself if there was no android and I had to pay for apple tax compulsorily
There has always been alternatives in the phone space, so I don't think we would ever be in an Apple world.

Mind you, this is more of a US issue because the iPhone market share is dominant compared to any Android manufacturer, often by buyer's choice.

Some of what Apple has been accused of is applicable to Google as well. Google is facing the same kind of accusations in India that Apple is in the US.

Also, Epic won the antitrust case against Google but not Apple which should tell you that Google is much worse at monopolising than Apple is.

Last edited:
Epic won the antitrust case against Google but not Apple which should tell you that Google is much worse at monopolising than Apple is
Or that Apple hired better lawyers and politicians?

I dont think Google is any better btw, I am just not cutting apple any slack.
often by buyer's choice.
Or being "forced" to buy one because of various pressures and practices which is the essence of this lawsuit

Or that Apple hired better lawyers and politicians?

I dont think Google is any better btw, I am just not cutting apple any slack.
I use Google, Apple and Microsoft devices and don't think any is better than the other in terms of their practices. In favour of this, as it will open up the iOS ecosystem a bit in terms of choice.

But yeah, Google goes under the radar for most users here because it is seen as an open choice when it is anything but that.

Google allows third-party stores after a lot of warnings but has increasingly tied core functionalities to Google Play Services.

You need to use GPay for in-app purchases with the same cut as App Store.

Google subscriptions get exempted from any premium like Apple's apps but you pay 30% cut for other in-app subscriptions.

I would argue the power of default Google apps on Android devices is much more than Apple's lock-in because they have footprint on a larger number of devices and collect a lot more analytics for ad-serving than Apple does.

Then there is the effective bribe that Google pays Samsung to ensure its apps are not removed in favour of others and the billions it pays Apple to stay as the default search engine on iOS.

I am so glad android is there and it has gotten to such a wonderful stage... I don't know how I would have lived with myself if there was no android and I had to pay for apple tax compulsorily
I am assuming this is sarcasm.

Google is far more sneaky when it comes to user data. A slightly older article about their data greed.

When will google let me delete the youtube app? +1 to Apple just because I can have a phone without this toxic app.

Last edited:
I am assuming this is sarcasm.

Google is far more sneaky when it comes to user data. A slightly older article about their data greed.

When will google let me delete the youtube app on android? Thanks to Apple, I can have a phone without this toxic garbage.
I already have youtube disabled for ages on android what are you talking about? I hate the youtube app and use revanced and no not for piracy, I have premium but hate the app.

Only thanks for apple is the fruit and gravity, company is complete garbage and everything wrong with the tech world

@Fenix
Difficult to imagine him alone driving things with his condition and the kind of people around him. There seems to be a cabal of powerful decision makers deciding all for him and him spluttering out whatever he could remember correctly given his brain age.

Don't think this has anything to do with the WH. This their DOJ
I doubt that he wont have reach there, must be someone who would have shook the tree really hard. But Apple/Google/Microsoft have been like that only.
@Fenix
Difficult to imagine him alone driving things with his condition and the kind of people around him. There seems to be a cabal of powerful decision makers deciding all for him and him spluttering out whatever he could remember correctly given his brain age.
He's lost most of the times and too old. Dont know who will be running for this post after him.

I doubt that he wont have reach there, must be someone who would have shook the tree really hard. But Apple/Google/Microsoft have been like that only.
That's a common misconception.

Countries are always prevailing on the president in the belief he can make an intervention in legal cases. He cannot and if he tries they will tell him where to go.

Congress has more power in this sense. They're the ones who make the laws.

As far as presidents go, relatively speaking in a domestic sense, the US president is weaker compared to presidents of say France that have more power.

As far as the topic goes it was matter of when not if. I don't think the timing has any significance other than not acting at some point would make the DOJ look complicit.

Last edited:
That's a common misconception.

Countries are always prevailing on the president in the belief he can make an intervention in legal cases. He cannot and if he tries they will tell them where to go.

Congress has more power in this sense. They're the ones who make the laws.

As far as presidents go, relatively speaking in a domestic sense, the US president is weaker compared to presidents of say France that have more power.
I would agree to diaagree and bury the hatchet but this should give you a deeper idea on who can do what.

Sorry lads that this conversation it becoming like Hydra (serpent with many heads).

In the United States government system, power is distributed among three separate branches:

the executive, legislative, and judicial branches.

The President is the head of the executive branch, while Congress, consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives, is the legislative branch.
While the President has certain executive powers, Congress can counterbalance these powers through legislative action, oversight, and the allocation of funds.
So, whether the President is "stronger" than Congress depends on various factors, including the political landscape, public opinion, and the ability of each branch to effectively exercise its constitutional powers.

Having said all this stuff, all three are such that its not easy for anyone to over-power the other one. But Yes, given the reputation that US had or if it still has, US president was once considered really powerful. Especially when USSR became Russia, US kind of became like the Dada of this world.

Having said all this stuff, all three are such that its not easy for anyone to over-power the other one. But Yes, given the reputation that US had or if it still has, US president was once considered really powerful. Especially when USSR became Russia, US kind of became like the Dada of this world.
US president is powerful in the sense he commands the most powerful military on the planet.

But we are talking in a domestic sense here and his ability to intervene in legal issues. You are saying WH got this going. That is not true and none of their business either.

There is no agree to disagree here. I'm speaking out of experience where India has had cases in US courts and made appeals at the diplomatic level that got nowhere.

You only have to see how Trump got treated by his people. He expected respect. They treated him like the nations punching bag

Back