OC & Modding Thermal compounds or Toothpaste

PCJedi

Adept
Hi guys, after reading the thread on Artic Silver, just wanted to know, what would be the difference between the 3 types of Thermal compounds used.
1. AS5
2. CoolerMaster PTK and HTK range
3. Zinc Oxide. the standard white paste which come at 20Rs.

I have use Coolermaster and AS5 both, but i want to know what how much difference has anybody notice practically.

Any inputs or even technical insights would be helpful. Please understand i have been using both since over 3 years in thier older forms. and have already gone through viscosity meter and thermal conductivity comparisions. i need a real life experience.
One of the most interesting and hilarious comparisions i have read is
http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

TIA

I dont have the coolermaster paste but with AS5, my load temps with an XP90 dropped from 45-46 to 38-39. Idle temps dropped from 40 to 31-32. these days cos of the rains its more like 27-28.

I have used many types of Thermal GOOP over the years including Pads and 3 different White stuff and Artic Silver 2 and 3 and now 5 as well as Artic Ceramique. I have one Grey coloured goop which is actually the size of a Toothpaste tube !! I have 2 no-name copies of AS - I will be dead before I put these on my CPU !!

The bottom line - how much difference do I see from having used these various Goops ?? NADA !! NOTHING much !! At the MAX I may have seen about 1 - 2 C improvement when I changed from white GOOP to AS2 - and this too could be just an improvement caused by a change in my applying method after having read the instructions page on the Artic Silver site. I normally keep quite about this as most people react like I have committed a Sacrilege saying that the white goop is nearly as good as AS. But I have read many posts in forums from other people who agree with my findings.

I have always had the CPU temps very close to room temps so I must be doing something right...... RIGHT ?? Just now my room temp is 29C and my CPU temp by MBM in my SYS Tray shows 30C.

I am quite meticulous in my handling of the Thermal Compounds and this makes for good contact between the Heat Sink and CPU. I use very good quality Acetone to clean the contact points (take care Acetone melts Plastics) and after a good cleaning I use Isopropyl Alcohol to do a final clean up. I put very little AS on the contact points as instructed by AS. I follow the instructions to the "T" from Artic Silvers page and this makes all the difference.

The only reason I use AS as against the other options is that the other GOOPS are known to evaporate or harden up within a few months making them useless and therfore need to be replaced.

Artic Silver Application Instructions

Got some heat sink paste for 20 bucks for my old xp 1600+. Cleaned my fan, heatsink applied the paste n temps were down by 5 degrees.

Eazy said:
I have always had the CPU temps very close to room temps so I must be doing something right...... RIGHT ?? Just now my room temp is 29C and my CPU temp by MBM in my SYS Tray shows 30C.
[/URL]

Seems too good to be true, what is your system config ?

The tube which came with my Zalman 7000 CU cooler is labelled:

Zalman Thermal Paste.
(CSL 850) ----> This must be some technical specification.

m31 said:
Seems too good to be true, what is your system config ?

Here doubting Thomas... screen shot of MBM taken right now.. with your message in background... :D

I have an Antec P160 case with 3 x 120mm fans. ASUS P4C800ED MoBo and P4 2.4C CPU

I dont have a A/C running.... cool Mumbai Monsoon weather. Room Temp now is 28C

Eazy posted 7.1 minutes later:

apollyon said:
i too noticed no significant diff. between as5 n the normal white goop....using white goop now...as5 is a bit too sticky :D

Mostly everyone says they saw a difference when the changed to AS but I never did cause I suppose it is not possible to go lower than the ambient temperature - and I have always had CPU temps close to room temps.

I have always had a 120mm fan blowing air (and DUST) over the CPU maybe thats why my CPU temps have remained low.

deejay said:
The tube which came with my Zalman 7000 CU cooler is labelled:

Zalman Thermal Paste.

(CSL 850) ----> This must be some technical specification.

I used the thermal paste given by ThermalTake Syringe. Was worse than my 6Rs 10g normal paste :D

Back