OC & Modding Thermal paste heat spread !

3 steps to apply thermal paste are :

1. Line method

2. Dot method

3. Double blob method

So guys which method have you used to get the max juice outta your sweet cpu's??:clap:

Which is the best thermal paste available out in market right now for the best price & quality ...

How do you remove the old yukky thermal paste? use some ethyl alcohol or aftermarket alcohols??

post your comments...

HAPPY OCing :):tongue:

I prolly do it the 4th way and its worked really fine.,

You put a goop right in the center and then place your HSF on it and get it seated, that way, the paste will get spread according to the HSF. Some people tend to spread the paste before the seat the HSF

For me MX2 worked the best.

I prolly do it the 4th way and its worked really fine.,

You put a goop right in the center and then place your HSF on it and get it seated, that way, the paste will get spread according to the HSF. Some people tend to spread the paste before the seat the HSF

For me MX2 worked the best.

i think arctic silver 5 is the best thermal paste ou there

also, i remove the old paste with a nail polish remover, with a tissue paper or an old cotton cloth

TIM applying method mostly depends on the TIM itself. Thin TIMs can be best applied with "Dot" method. But Thick pasts like OCZ freeze and even MX2 (though not so think) are better spread on both the CPU and HSF.

Just yesterday resitted my cpu and heatsink ..This time used tuniq tx-3 which I found very difficult to spread evenly .. So just put one small dot in middle of cpu heatspreader and put the heatsink on it. MX-2 is much easier to spread than this tuniq tx-3 .. Got a temp drop of 2 degress though. So it varies for different TIM I guess..

I also use the method ultimabasher mentioned. But instead of putting one drop in the center, I prefer to put 2 smaller dots off-center. I feel this helps in spreading more evenly. I mostly use Tuniq TX-2, but I also have Noctua NH1.

For removing the TIM, I use ArctiClean.

But read the link pr0ing has put up. It has anything and everything regarding TIM and how to apply them.

You will need Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the cpu and the base of the cooler.

If the local chemists do not understand, tell them you need 'surgical spirit' of highest purity/quality. :)

According to me it depends a lot on what kind of Processor is being used , if it is overclocked or not . Also what type of heat sink base it is , is it mirror finished copper or id direct hea pipe connect technology .
CM Thermal Fusion 400 had worked best for me and I always keep one handy . In couple of core i7 cases this TIM had saved me while solving hanging problem due to over heating of the processor. Best part of this TIM is the accessory supplied for spreading the TIM is perfect . I am buying it regularly @ 600 bucks from lami.

In all seriousness, i ve seen a couple of guys using after shave to clean the dried up paste both on the CPU and the heatsink. And to my surprise, the end result was a spanking new CPU surface.
When questioned, they justified that it has 70% alcohol and the only precaution they take is to let it dry for a bit longer time before applying paste.
How safe is this practice ???

P.S. For around 15 mins after fixing the heatsink back, i could smell the aroma.:rofl:

cross method is anyday better than dot or single line method for rectangle base coolers.

also among the tims i have i rank like this> on the basis of performance

Prolimatech PK-1> TX-2 > AS5 > MX2 >

but TX-2 is the cheapest, yet a good performer. But it dries out too early. MX-2 is slightly better, but still not a permanent solution.

Whereas AS5, eventhough is risky due to its capacitance, electrical conductivity etc. it doesnt dry out even in a 2 yr period. But AS5 needs around 200~250 hours for setting. do remember that.

my vote is for PK-1. Its bit expensive @ 500 bucks, but it comes in 5gm tube whereas most other TIMS comes in 3~ max 3.5 GM tube. SO the 500 bucks for 5GM is totally worth, also its one of the best performers and in the same elite category as TX-3, MX-3 , OCZ Freeze.

For cleaning, i used to do it with a clean cloth. But now i use iso-propyl alcohol. Go to any chemical/laboratory store and get 100% pure iso-propyl alc/propanol. Use it to further clean off the surface after applying a cloth. You can use any alcohols which is available, but be sure its pure with least amount of water or other fillers. Coz, pure one doesnt leave any residue after vaporizing, and is perfect for cleaning.

Which method do you folks recommend for use with Thermalright Venomous X (yes, I have read guidelines on the benchmarkreviews.com article, but still would be nice to know first hand experiences) ?

i would say, the X method seems right for it. But the X method needs almost twice or more TIM than the dot method, but it spreads more evenly. I have tested in on all my coolers after reading a TIM application essay on frostytech.

i have some cheap TIM lying around, and i tested most methods. btw dun put too much TIM while performing X method, or else it will bleed and will waste good TIM, though it isnt harmful [unless it bleeds too much].

Back