OC & Modding Thermalright Ultra 120 Plus: Is More Better?

low_bass_makker said:
get a cooler master gemini...it is much better or equal than the ultra-120 and it is available in india for 3k at delhi (without fans).......

I saw this cooler at SMC & its massive, it weighs over 800 gms & with 2 fans optional it will be 1.1 kg.
Do u recommend that thsi can work normally without bending & putting additional load on the mobo.

I am confused too as I dont find any user experience & its size stops me & make me think.

I have no problem with size but its the weight.

Chaos said:
LOL looks like the gemini sux bigtime :p. I'm not surprised, almost all good designs these days are towers.

hmmm.....say the anandtech review today itself....these websites gives some different result....here at x-bitlabs they are say gemini as a very good cooler....

X-bit labs - Big Typhoon Squared: Cooler Master GeminII Review (page 7)

29_results.png

41_diagr_c2d.png

http://rpbu.coolermaster.com/UserFiles/Image/Reviews/200704_Atomic_Hardcore.jpg

Technic3D Artikel: Coolermaster Gemin II mit A.C. Ryan Blackfire 4 – Der Kühlriese in blauem Licht ! - Seite 5

Cooler Master GeminII CPU Cooler Review - Testing & Our Recommendation

They should be comparing the Ultra-X at 2800 rpm to the gemini. 1350rpm fan is lame... its hardly any air. As you can see in the other graph, there's a 5 degree drop between 1350rpm and 2500 rpm. Also its pretty obvious from the temperatures in case and outside that their case is really cramped with no airflow whatsoever. See how much the scythe infinity improves between open stand and inside case. So its the case more than anything thats limiting cooling performance.

Edit: Just realized that they are using TAT on an E6400@3.55GHz, 1.475V. This is roughly the same as what my CPU. What is scary is that I never breached 63-64 on load on an ultra-120 in TAT on an E6600 @3.6, 1.475, however long it was running. But these coolers seem to be throttling at the same clocks... something is obviously screwed up in their testing... there's no way temps should go that high. Something is screwed up in the test results.

Just read this at xbit review.

GeminII lacks a back-plate for LGA775 and the main board bends under the pressure

Is that true? I remember reading about it mounted with a back plate, isn't that included in the case?

^^ Yes, but a properly ventilated case is the first step towards proper cooling.
You wouldn't install a 1lac audio system in a car without proper damping, would you? :p Same with these high end coolers.

@low_bass_makker

since u use the gemini 2

do u get base plate for 775 intel too or not & does the mobo get bent with the weight or is it not the problem.

ranjan2001 said:
@low_bass_makker
since u use the gemini 2
do u get base plate for 775 intel too or not & does the mobo get bent with the weight or is it not the problem.

no there was no plate for the intel.....but there was for the amd.....but if you plan not to move your system a lot then there is no problem........

low_bass_makker said:
no there was no plate for the intel.....but there was for the amd.....but if you plan not to move your system a lot then there is no problem........

omg u dont get a plate for intel? i was gonna pick up this heatsink for a c2d. good i dint or would have got owned.

Is it so that the mounting amd needs this & the intel may not.

I wonder why would they not include this if its intel775 compatible.

Putting an 825gm+fan weight load on a mobo without a backplate is the lamest thing one can do. The mobo will break into two pieces :p.

Chaos said:
Putting an 825gm+fan weight load on a mobo without a backplate is the lamest thing one can do. The mobo will break into two pieces :p.

Here is a section of the installation manual for the Gemini 2... is not the retention plate the part in question ?

^^Thats sits on top of the CPU... there's no backplate to support the board from behind... thats the point of contention.

Chaos said:
^^Thats sits on top of the CPU... there's no backplate to support the board from behind... thats the point of contention.

I have never installed a 775 CPU so I was not aware of the installing procedure ... here is the picture of the Gemini 2 Heat Sink installation from the back of the MoBo.... no Back Plate :O

Back