PC Peripherals Thermalright Ultra & the broken Graphics card

speedyfreak

Disciple
:S

My friend of friend who is in Bangalore was thermalright 120 EXT for more than 4 months with AMD phenom 2 550 & sapphire HD 4850 , once he fitted TRUE 120 in the case never removed for once , in night suddenly a sound appeared TRUE 120 came out from the bracket straight down to the graphics card & the graphics card broken with crack .

I asked him on the phone some body striked ?? he told no body touched when they were sleeping the sound appeared - he told 4 months was good as it was !

Wat is this ?? i only told him to get the TRUE 120 now he is bothering me !! its strange ??

Definitely he didnt fit it properly and the card became weak when he fit it itself(possibly by force causing rupture)..

now after four months of torture on broken back, it has succumbed to injury

He has not tightened the spring-loaded screws properly resulting in a weak mount. The weight forced the cantilever to fall - pretty simple. I see no reason why the heatsink should fall otherwise.

He told he dint even open the case , also the mounting brackets & screws were nice fitted ?? The problem is Graphics card only - is there any way for RMA ( Big Crack in board )

It is the first time i am hearing the CPU cooler is falling down !!

speedyfreak said:
He told he dint even open the case , also the mounting brackets & screws were nice fitted ?? The problem is Graphics card only - is there any way for RMA ( Big Crack in board )

It is the first time i am hearing the CPU cooler is falling down !!

no.......for BIG CRACK
Still try once, there is no harm in asking

Nice fitted? How 'nice fitted' was it?

Besides, there's no way that card could be RMA'd due to the physical damage. What was his card btw?

Sry for bumping thread.....

But wanted to knw whether Op's frnd was using backplate supplied with motherboard or thermalright one?

Gowt1ham said:
Sry for bumping thread.....

But wanted to knw whether Op's frnd was using backplate supplied with motherboard or thermalright one?

Motherboards do not come with backplate, havent heard or seen one atleast....

thebanik said:
Motherboards do not come with backplate, havent heard or seen one atleast....

M4A78-EM comes with a metal backplate, atleast one which I saw recently did. Infact, all amd boards which uses the retention type for stock heatsinks come with backplates. Some are metal whereas some are bundled with plastic backplate- like the biostar board.

And yeah he was using the same backplate which was bundled with the board, rather than using the one bundled with the heatsink: Digit's Technology Discussion Forum - View Single Post - THermalright Ultra broken the Graphics card

But apparently the spring screws which is bundled with the true120e didn't secure the heatsink properly using the same motherboard's backplate that came with the board, but it did it just fine with thermalright's backplate, as one should/would expect. They do fit, but its not strong enough to make sure they don't come out because of true120e's weight. So it just a matter of time that they will come out, making the heatsink to fall down. I did take picture between the aftermarket and the one which came with the board to show the comparison, but my camera's macro isn't good enough so its difficult to show the difference properly.

Just to clear it, I tried to secure the thermalright screw with a plastic counterpart of the default motherboard plate which comes with a nut rather than the thread mould, its even far worse. So no matter how properly you secure it, it will not be secured properly for long. In any case, as a wise friend taught me about after market heatsinks, one should be on the safer side by using the same screws and backplate which is bundled with the aftermarket heatsink, even if they fit.

^AMD boards come with one. Not seen an intel board which comes with a backplate.

Now that (^) answers why his heatsink came off the mount. Makes sense. A hefty price paid!

Very sad indeed. :(

TR supplies backplate for the AM2 bolt-thru kit now?

Can't recollect properly but the AM2 kits with the few TRUEs i used had the top-plate and the bolts+springs only- no backplate iirc. :S)

Most AM2 coolers supply only the top-plate and bolts+springs and one is supposed to use the oem backplate* that comes with the mobo, since socket 939 days.

*(usually metal but cheapo mobos have some plastic/fibre thingie and some even don't have screws- secured with plastic push-pins)

The DFI plastic backplates needed to be changed to ASUS or Foxconn metal ones else the oem screw to be used for for TtBT wouldn't reach the nut.

And it was anyways recommend to get a metal backplate and most users did get one.

I haven't ever heard of a TtBT dropping off like that ever- and that thing didn't even have springs.

Spring-washers or spring-loaded bolts are meant to maintain tension/pressure/friction and not loosen over time.

So very unusual and unlucky for the victim. :(

BIKeINSTEIN said:
TR supplies backplate for the AM2 bolt-thru kit now?

Can't recollect properly but the AM2 kits with the few TRUEs i used had the top-plate and the bolts+springs only- no backplate iirc. :S)

AFAIK, A friend got true120e rev C (non black) from U.S. via his parents and someone I know in Cochin got the true120e black rev C via prime, they both had am2 kits with a scissor type mounts and 4 spring screws with the kit which can fit on amd and intel's backplates provided by thermalright, alongwith anti vibration strips, lga 775, 1366 (no 1156 in both cases) backplates and mounts. I don't know much about rev A and B as far as contents is concerned.

Finally , my brother saw it - its because of its threading in the screws slipped from the back plate because of the weight it cannot handle it. one side he kept so tight another side medium (thats y !!! make sense ) .

But any way the mounting kits are definitely not good for AMD !! He now bought core contact freezer which solidly mounted even after more shakes by himself still hard mounted

Safety first !!

speedyfreak said:
But any way the mounting kits are definitely not good for AMD !!

Don't know which mounting kit you're talking about, but the backplate that you get with the mobo is primarily made for the stock heatsink. If its good enough to mount other type of heatsinks, that's a plus point but it ain't. You can't blame the backplate which is meant to hold stock heatsinks, rather its the one who didn't install the plate that came with the heatsink that is at fault. Always use the right tools for the right job, no matter how "nicely fitted" they seem. Unfortunately, he learnt it the hard way and paid a heavy price.

Its always best to use the screws,back plates and bolt thrus that come with the heatsink. They are bundled with the kit for a good reason.

the pics doesnt show any AMD backplate bundled.

Moreover the Asus AMD backplate is sturdy enough [sturdy than the thermalright bundled backplate for Intel]. I myself is was using the Asus metal AMD backplate on my biostar board, which came with a carbon fibre + plastic [with metal beedings] type of backplate, which i didnt trust as much the Asus metal one.

Surelly, the problem is improper tightening. As the backplate is sturdy enuf, u need to tighten the screws really well, orelse it ll snap out due to the pressure.

Back