CPU/Mobo Thin Mini-ITX AIO chassis and boards?

aalaap

Recruit
Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai
aalaap.com
Check this out: http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/604-22-do-it-yourself-all-in-one-thin-mini-itx.html

Have you come across any thin mini-ITX motherboards such as the Intel DH61AG and an all-in-one chassis such as the Loop LP-2150 around here? This article is a year old, so I was hoping the stuff would have trickled down to India by now, but I couldn't find anything in the usual places.

I just found one listing for the Loop chassis and it was an import piece for over 50k. Pointless: http://www.shopmania.in/other/p-loop-21-5inch-touch-screen-aio-chassis-11565925

I already have an iMac, but I'm just generally interested in building stuff, so I figured it would be fun to try this out...

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
You can get the antec isk 310 chassis and h77 or h87 based mini itx boards. Have one for over a year now

aalaap

Recruit
Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai
aalaap.com
You can get the antec isk 310 chassis and h77 or h87 based mini itx boards. Have one for over a year now

That chassis is an HTPC one. Those have been around for a long time. The one I mentioned above is generally comes as an LCD with a thin cabinet on the back, into which only the "Thin Mini-ITX" boards will fit, not regular Mini-ITX.

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
Dh61ag and dn2800mt are both available. I have a small music PC based on the latter. Chassis has to be imported or built from scratch, or you have to make do with mini-itx cases. I've seen Flipkart list both, though erratically. There isa seller on te offering Intel products, you could pm him. I think it was intelserverbuilder or something similar.

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
Unfortunately anything smaller is not available. If you must absolutely have something ridiculously small, try getting an Intel NUC. Pricey but nice performance!

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
For ur usage u really should look into Intel NUC. Or I have seen some ITX boards in ebay. Intel ones, really low profile. And get a custom case.

Or as the above post, Zotac ones. Everything u want is there.

aalaap

Recruit
Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai
aalaap.com
Those NUCs are too new. I don't think they're available anywhere here and they're probably too expensive.

I saw those Zotacs, but I'm still trying to get a fully integrated iMac-like set up because it's just easy to maintain and move around from one desk to another. I already have a 21.5" iMac, but I'm bored of Mac OS, so I'm looking for a PC in a similar setup. I don't want to Bootcamp - that's another long story!

babhishek

Skilled
Feb 3, 2008
but I'm still trying to get a fully integrated iMac-like set up because it's just easy to maintain and move around from one desk to another. I already have a 21.5" iMac, but I'm bored of Mac OS, so I'm looking for a PC in a similar setup. I don't want to Bootcamp - that's another long story!

err, what exactly do you mean, coz u have me confused? aren't you bored, dont want a mac but want a mac , you want an integrated setup, but want to build one?

aalaap

Recruit
Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai
aalaap.com
err, what exactly do you mean, coz u have me confused? aren't you bored, dont want a mac but want a mac , you want an integrated setup, but want to build one?

1. Bored of a Mac / Already have an iMac
2. Don't want an iMac, but I want an iMac style PC - monitor with integrated unit
3. Prefer to build/upgrade/tinker, so an empty chassis with an LCD only would be great.
4. I don't want to splurge, or I could order these parts from outside.

babhishek

Skilled
Feb 3, 2008
1. Bored of a Mac / Already have an iMac
2. Don't want an iMac, but I want an iMac style PC - monitor with integrated unit
3. Prefer to build/upgrade/tinker, so an empty chassis with an LCD only would be great.
4. I don't want to splurge, or I could order these parts from outside.

why not get a monitor with vesa mount and a zotac mounted to the butt of the monitor?
that should be cool, portable, can unmount the mini itx and carry independantly? you can build and upgrade within limts as well :)

RD274

I.can.edit.this?omg
Skilled
Sep 9, 2009
Ahmedabad
Celeron? NO.

Config:
Antec ISK 110 - 5k
Intel Core i3 4130 - 8k
ASRock H87 M-ITX - 8k
Corsair Value RAM 4gb*1 - 3k
WDD 1tb 2.5" HDD - 5.5k

The limiting factor in this config is that the power adapter is only capable of 90w. If you want to go crazy then you could buy and replace this adapter with the Xbox 360 power adapter (135w-200w depending on which one you pick up) and mod it to power the config above. With the Xbox 360 adapter mod, I'm sure you could do even i7 4770k.

EDIT : Or you could wait for the low-powered Haswells - http://www.anandtech.com/show/8774/...ew-core-i3-4130t-i5-4570s-and-i7-4790s-tested

No Celeron. Imagine an i7 mounted on the back of your monitor/tv.

Last edited:

Party Monger

Skilled
Jul 15, 2007
It's been a while and I guess things are looking up.

Intel's NUC kit DN2820xxx with a Celeron N2820 is now going for as low as Rs. 8,400 (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/intel-nuc-kit/2142554146). It needs RAM and an HDD/SDD, but everything else is in the box, including a VESA mount. Looking good!
I have the same NUC, its a nifty little machine. Have it mounted on the back of Dell's Cheapest LCD (ITs 5k on Amazon for 18.5inch screen.) The full build comes to around 18-19k with 2gb ram, 500gb hdd, wired keyboard mouse.

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
The Intel NUC kits have now dropped to an affordable price (under 8.5k)
The NUC kits haven't dropped in price, these are just new variants using Baytrail processors, i.e. expect much lower performance than a traditional Core i model.

RD274

I.can.edit.this?omg
Skilled
Sep 9, 2009
Ahmedabad
I don't see the appeal in these nuc kits and their horrible Celeron processors. They are too slow for pretty much everything but basic usage like an affordable laptop. At this point, whats stopping you from dismembering(optional) an old C2D laptop and mounting it with a vesa bracket behind a monitor? It would as fast as one of these dabbas, have equally low tdp, lesser thickness (although more length/width depending on laptop size) but would have portability and functionality if required.

Imo, either go full retard with a full i5/i7 itx system or settle for a laptop mountable system behind the monitor.

hotshot05

Skilled
Sep 11, 2008
Kolkata
hotshot05.page.tl
I don't see the appeal in these nuc kits and their horrible Celeron processors. They are too slow for pretty much everything but basic usage like an affordable laptop. At this point, whats stopping you from dismembering(optional) an old C2D laptop and mounting it with a vesa bracket behind a monitor? It would as fast as one of these dabbas, have equally low tdp, lesser thickness (although more length/width depending on laptop size) but would have portability and functionality if required.

Imo, either go full retard with a full i5/i7 itx system or settle for a laptop mountable system behind the monitor.
The Penryn C2D's have a much higher TDP compared to these Celerons. The power consumption profile is much more efficient in these newer generation Celerons.

Party Monger

Skilled
Jul 15, 2007

It plays x265 720p pretty well. 1080p x264 rips too. Its good for browsing and other random office work. Basically nothing that it cant do. On the occasion that you put it to some cpu intensive stuff, it'l just be slower.

RD274

I.can.edit.this?omg
Skilled
Sep 9, 2009
Ahmedabad
The Penryn C2D's have a much higher TDP compared to these Celerons. The power consumption profile is much more efficient in these newer generation Celerons.

Actually yes 8w tdp is pretty difficult to beat even for a C2D on idle.

It plays x265 720p pretty well. 1080p x264 rips too. Its good for browsing and other random office work. Basically nothing that it cant do. On the occasion that you put it to some cpu intensive stuff, it'l just be slower.

But what exactly makes this any more special that say- mounting a laptop behind your monitor? Take this laptop for example which is currently going for 17k whereas a NUC might cost you 13k once you add the missing parts. This laptop is portable and light enough to be mounted behind a 21" monitor if you make a small bracket for it or even under the monitor if you're too lazy to make the bracket. On the top of that you're getting a faster system with more features - speakers/display/keyboard/trackpad/battery making it portable if required too. Just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: hotshot05