Budget 15-20K Thinking of buying Moto G73, but unsure of Mediatek

gourav

Skilled
I'm thinking of buying Moto g73 for my dad. How's Mediatek Dimensity 930 in terms of performance and battery life?

Earlier Mediatek also had poor longevity where performance would degrade in a year. Is that still the case?

Also wanted to know people's experience with Moto in general. Haven't owned a moto phone in years.

Cannot speak for MT but Motorola phones overall are good enough especially due to the fact of using stock Android. If you consider long term usage then the Moto phones would not slow down over time, unlike Samsung and similarly bloated software.
Being said that there are some moto phones having weak modems (the g32 my mum uses for example). So the reception is subpar. Now I don't know how to check that beforehand the purchase.

Instead of Moto G73, you can go for Moto G54.
It has better 6000 mAh battery.
And 12GB/256GB will be 17,500 after card discounts.

But best will be newly launched Motorola Edge 40 Neo, almost the perfect phone
12GB/256GB will be 23,000 (Card discounts will be additional)
IP68 Waterproof rating,10bit pOLED 144 hz display, 5000 mAh battery 68 watt charging (charger included), 50 MP OIS camera, stereo speakers with dobly atmos, NFC, WiFi 6, 172 gram light.
And it will have 2 year android updates and 3 year security updates

I see assured OS updates for 2 years and 3 years of security update mentioned for Moto Edge 40

Motorola have been bad in terms of updates in the past. Has this improved now? Are they providing the updates as they mention, and are the updates timely, or are they delayed a lot?

If they provide assured and timely updates, it makes them a really good choice for smartphones in any given range.

But best will be newly launched Motorola Edge 40 Neo, almost the perfect phone
This does look like a nice phone. I am assuming it will be launched by the time sale comes around.

Another concern I have is that my dad is mostly not home at the time Flipkart comes to deliver. My mom probably won't be able to understand if there's anything wrong, in case it's an open box delivery. (My parents live in a different city). Given that these phones are only available on Flipkart, should I choose something from Amazon instead? The only decent option I see there is OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite (who comes up with these names :rolleyes:). My dad doesn't want to buy Samsung.

This does look like a nice phone. I am assuming it will be launched by the time sale comes around.

Another concern I have is that my dad is mostly not home at the time Flipkart comes to deliver. My mom probably won't be able to understand if there's anything wrong, in case it's an open box delivery. (My parents live in a different city). Given that these phones are only available on Flipkart, should I choose something from Amazon instead? The only decent option I see there is OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite (who comes up with these names :rolleyes:). My dad doesn't want to buy Samsung.
They're available on the motorola site as well. Fewer card offers but there are a couple of them.

Nah Bhai ,

I used to use Lenovo phones in the past.

This all phone all Motorola signature in everywhere ,you can't find anything Lenovo there .

1695575970299.png

1695575984574.png

Motorola being Lenovo's subsidiary or not doesn't matter to my question. My question is about Motorola branded phones. I have never seen someone ask about Oneplus phone and get an answer saying "you're buying an Oppo phone" or ask about poco phones and get an answer saying "you're buying Xiaomi phones". That's an irrelevant discussion. We all know brand name is not the same as company name.

I use a Motorola Edge 20 Fusion with a Mediatek MT6853 Dimensity 800U. Stock Android is great. Pretty good build quality. Battery lasts well over a day on a single charge. Phone is quite snappy too, never got the feeling that it lags.

One downside is their updates are slower than most, over six months later than Samsung and one or two others.

I'd have no hesitation in buying another Motorola phone if I wanted to upgrade

From what I remember, their policy was two years of major updates which they've now increased to three. When I bought the phone, it had Android 11, it was updated to Android 12 earlier this year and we should get Android 13 when most other brands have already received the Android 13 update.

Phone works fine with Android 12, so doesn't bother me.

One of my biggest concerns regarding Moto phones was the OS update. Now that I know they have assured updates, even if they are delayed, Moto phones look like a really good choice.

For a smartphone, I look for stock/near stock Android and regular OS and security updates, apart from quality and reliability.

My mother had a Moto G3 phone, which didnt receive any OS updates, although they had said so, but the phone continues to work great. My mother got a new OnePlus phone, but I continue to make use of the Moto G3 for a gaming app.

I am getting a Moto G84 5G for my dad given that I am using Moto Edge 20 fusion myself. For parents and others for whom timely OS updates are not that much of an issue, and are happy with bimonthly security patches, Moto is a best bet. Given that majority OS updates in the mid price category are mostly beta or no updates, I don't mind late updates given that Android updates, like iOS, has become incremental.
As @Gooner said, A12 works fine for me so I won't complain. Though they can optimise it to extract maximum from MTK 800U but they have opted for a different business model of budging customers to get a new phone than bothering about working with updates, hence the slow release.

Given your query about MTK SoC, for general use, they are more than adequate. Unless into intense gaming and other heavy multitasking stuff(benchmark level), MTK will easily sail whatever you throw at it.

Last edited:
Yep, bimonthly security patches are enough for senior citizens. Even one update every six months should be fine as long as the update is actually an update.
There's a lot of things good about Motorola phones, but they don't sell well in India because they lack flashy and extravagant features. Only issues with motos are their subpar cameras (some are absolutely unacceptable), and poor software optimisation (i.e. 90 hz feeling poorer than a 60 hz flagship). Barring those, bloody stable phones.

I'm thinking of buying Moto g73 for my dad. How's Mediatek Dimensity 930 in terms of performance and battery life?
MediaTek soc will give you a very nice battery backup & descent performance. The only issue remained with MediaTek soc's is that their graphics are not as good as their rival snapdragon (but one can feel this difference only while gaming.) If you are going for Motog73 with offers applied, you should go for moto edge 40 neo it has overall good specifications & IP68 rating. It has been launched on A13 & will get 2 major updates so A15 you can taste.

Earlier Mediatek also had poor longevity where performance would degrade in a year. Is that still the case?
Longevity is not issue with recent generations of MediaTek also performance won't degrade (performance also depends on how well OS is optimized in near future). Motorola is quite slow in providing OS updates but now they are promising 2 major updates with some phones like Edge 40 Neo.

Also wanted to know people's experience with Moto in general. Haven't owned a moto phone in years.
Personally, my family members using moto phones since Moto G3 launched. They never disappointed in terms of performance & durability. In middle of times after moto G5 they didn't came up with good price to performance phones for long. But from past years they are doing good job. Also, to mention regarding service experience in general is good (may vary on location).

Back