This is War - A SCREW YOU @ UBISOFT

aceman said:
My personal opinion is that "Something is better than nothing".

What if Ubisoft never releases a PC game due to piracy ? Would that be any better than putting up with these DRM issues ?

this thought concerns me too. a persistent online connection is the way of the future with all media, at least in my opinion. personally, i absolutely adored beyond good and evil and i would be heartbroken if they decided not to make a pc version of the game. perhaps for someone, there is no great ubisoft game so they can afford to say 'screw you ubisoft'. but what happens when the next publisher decides to do this? what happens when a sequel of a much beloved game or a highly anticipated one goes console only?

gamers seem to want it both ways. right now it's **** ubisoft for doing this and that, and we don't want their games on our platform. but when a dead space 2 or a gears of war 2 goes console exclusive, it's **** ea/epic for leaving the pc behind. it's kind of amusing really :bleh:

pretttt said:
I dont see why it matters whether AC2 gets cracked or not. If you've bought the game, it shouldnt really matter to you. Anyways, have Ubisoft ever publicly promised that they will remove the DRM once it gets cracked? I highly doubt that.

Ubisoft is actually spending a substantial amount of money on this DRM. They seem to have created a whole infrastructure around it, since they are going to use this in all of their forthcoming PC titles. I dont think they will so easily remove the DRM from the game and let all that investment go to waste.

i think what they've said is that the drm will be removed if the authentication servers are taken down. i don't think it's a binding statement on them though... i doubt they plan to take down the servers for a long time, especially if all their future games will use the same system.

pretttt said:
Also, afaik, most people (I know I am) are concerned not of the state of Ubisoft's servers. I'm actually concerned totally about my connection. It is a BSNL connection and obviously it disconnects a LOT. Sometimes it disconnects every 2-3 mins, sometimes it wont disconnect the entire day. The point is, it is unreliable. You could say that BSNL connection is bad get a stable Airtel one. But, is it really required to change your ISP just to play a game??

if your net is dropping every 2-3 mins, i'd say it is required to change your isp for your own sanity :eek:hyeah:. but yea, if someone's net is that bad, then this game is just not meant for them.

pretttt said:
Anyways, I'm not going to buy this game (not due to DRM. I hated the first one). So, I'm actually have no reason to be posting here. But what worries me is if other companies start emulating this. That would be scary :(.

by all accounts, this second game is vastly better than the first one. i've played it for about 5 hours and i'm having a blast (and i didn't really like the first one enough to even finish it). read up reviews of the game, every single one of them will point out that there are tons of improvements to the gameplay. if you have a friend with a console or a gaming parlour around, see if you can go and check out the game there. it really is one of the best games that was released last year, and it's a shame that this aspect is getting ignored due to the whole drm drama.

WOW !! YOU spend thousands to make a kicka$$ rig, then spend some to get a decent UL connection and then spend some more to buy the game to play it. WOW !!

When will those Jacka$$es learn that real buyers don't have any relation with the piracy. :/

well if this gets off , then all the mega priced software will also go this route in another couple of years ... hmm i look forward to see the pirates next step

quan chi said:
i dont understand why ubisoft is showing this behaviour with pc users only where as 360 users can easily get it and play.what kind of protection they are taking against them.

If I may , pirating on the XBOX360 for an average joe is a __lot__ more difficult when compared to pc where someone who knows what graphics card to buy , assemble a system ...etc.

A lot of 360 owners I saw does not even know that a Dual Layer DVD exists let know how to go to torrents , flashing different F/W , JTAG'ing, Video partitions,Stealth checks, Soldering ......etc. Also if one mods a 360 , the warranty would be void , console would get banned/bricked...etc.

Exactly how many of these issues/risks are even applicable in the PC segment when one plays a pirated game?

quan chi said:
they should know that of they are releasing any good product then definitely it will make a good sale.people will try to buy it.

This argument is like a ostrich sticking its head inside the sand and not wanting to look at reality.

The number of computers having a powerful graphics card ( say above 8600/8800 and X1800) would be almost equal to the number of console owners.In that scenario how many games had equal or at-least near equal sales when compared to its console counterparts ?

Like it or not piracy is a big problem in the PC space when compared with the console space.

I would be happy see more of such DRM rather than PC dying as a platform since most of innovations in gameplay and well as hardware are from the PC segment only. The game world would be a boring place without likes of AMD/Intel/NVIDIA battling out and creating innovations which helps all gamers and non-gamers alike.

It is understandable that the PC gaming companies, want to protect themselves from piracy, and get more profits. Heck they are here for a business. But this DRM is not the way. To force a connection to their server, and that to dedicated and constant. If they are spending millions of $$$$'s developing games, am sure as hell, they can implement better DRM method(s). Personally many a times, when my net connection is defunct, I enjoy those times to play games. Now with this type of DRM, it is sad. Of course I will still buy (sic..!) original games, but what if I do not have net. That is sad. Adds another direct overhead cost to the all ready so expensive PC gaming field.

By, the way their is a discussion of similar nature in the AC2 thread. I mentioned there that EA is taking this path too..! Crysis 2..?? Groan..!!

pirating on the XBOX360 for an average joe is a __lot__ more difficult when compared to pc where someone who knows what graphics card to buy , assemble a system ...etc.
A lot of 360 owners I saw does not even know that a Dual Layer DVD exists let know how to go to torrents , flashing different F/W , JTAG'ing, Video partitions,Stealth checks, Soldering ......etc. Also if one mods a 360 , the warranty would be void , console would get banned/bricked...etc.

AFAIK today majority of the console owners also have a state of art pc(lol even you have mentioned it look at the next quote) .Btw as far as i know that banning can also be taken care of.;)

This argument is like a ostrich sticking its head inside the sand and not wanting to look at reality.
The number of computers having a powerful graphics card ( say above 8600/8800 and X1800) would be almost equal to the number of console owners.In that scenario how many games had equal or at-least near equal sales when compared to its console counterparts ?
Like it or not piracy is a big problem in the PC space when compared with the console
space.

may be.but that dosen't mean you have to harass your paying customer with this kind of drm.

Ok i dont know about others but i am giving one example.

resident evil 4 was released for pc by ubisoft and was criticized by all for for its sloppy port.It was recommended all over the net not to buy its pc version.But still after reading many reviews and asking many people i went to buy it.
of course the game was pretty messed up but still i took the pain of applying its official patch and downloaded the 1-2 gb texture mods.After applying the mods it looked even better than the console versions.
well and in the end it was worth it the game still rules.

take this forum only i think majority of the members prefers the original version.

I would be happy see more of such DRM rather than PC dying as a platform since most of innovations in gameplay and well as hardware are from the PC segment only. The game world would be a boring place without likes of AMD/Intel/NVIDIA battling out and creating innovations which helps all gamers and non-gamers alike.

Pc gaming might not die.gaming industry cannot survive without those you have mentioned battling out....and vice versa.no matter what ever they do they have to release something for the pc too.
yes you can say the delay time will increase.

It is understandable that the PC gaming companies, want to protect themselves from piracy, and get more profits. Heck they are here for a business. But this DRM is not the way. To force a connection to their server, and that to dedicated and constant. If they are spending millions of $$$$'s developing games, am sure as hell, they can implement better DRM method(s). Personally many a times, when my net connection is defunct, I enjoy those times to play games. Now with this type of DRM, it is sad. Of course I will still buy (sic..!) original games, but what if I do not have net. That is sad. Adds another direct overhead cost to the all ready so expensive PC gaming field.

yep i agree with you.

spindoctor said:
if your net is dropping every 2-3 mins, i'd say it is required to change your isp for your own sanity :eek:hyeah:. but yea, if someone's net is that bad, then this game is just not meant for them.
Ha ha quite true :)
But like I said, when it works, its just beautiful. I've download steam games sometimes with the connection not dropping even once between 2.30AM-7.30AM and the speed being near 200KBps the whole time. But sometimes it can so soooo bad, that it will drive you insane :).

Imagine being in a raid in WoW and the connection breaks exactly the moment you downed the boss :(. Yup, thats happened too.

asingh said:
But this DRM is not the way. To force a connection to their server, and that to dedicated and constant. If they are spending millions of $$$$'s developing games, am sure as hell, they can implement better DRM method(s).

they're doing this because they can't come up with any better ideas. got any suggestions? ;)

quan chi said:
take this forum only i think majority of the members prefers the original version.

:rofl:

pretttt said:
Ha ha quite true :)

Imagine being in a raid in WoW and the connection breaks exactly the moment you downed the boss :(. Yup, thats happened too.

this shit happened to me too. back during the burning crusade when we were learning illidan. i was the warlock tank (and at the time, the only person in the guild who had the full set of resist gear for the fight). my net dropped during the fight and the entire raid had to be cancelled because of me :(. we did get him eventually though :hap2:

it does suck when your net goes down unexpectedly, but really, it should not be a common occurrence and i don't think it is unreasonable for someone to assume that peoples internet connections won't go down every few minutes. even back in the dialup days i think my internet was more stable than that :p

by the way, the bandwidth requirements for the drm are minimal. last night i had spartacus downloading in utorrent while playing the game and there were no issues at all.

wish it's cracked soon.. wanna try it out...

I'm bought some games which I'm ahsamed to name, and they have been nothing but A FULL WASTE OF MY MONEY... so I prefer trying a game.. Like playing for more than 1 hour? Buy it.. cuz the real fun in most games, like BF BC2 comes with Multiplayer

spindoctor said:
they're doing this because they can't come up with any better ideas. got any suggestions?

Yes, if they hire me, sure probably could think of something. You are not getting the point. There are many users, who do not have dedicated net connections out there, and on which the quality is good. Heck, before 2006, I never had broad band at home. All my gaming was done offline. I am sure, this same scenario exists for many -- today. Even today when I game non MP, I switch of my net connection client. Why..? Free resources. I would still prefer to do that.

Though your logic is correct to. What else can they do..? They want to reap maximum from their releases (and they are entitled to do so), and this seems like a logical answer.

greenhorn said:
I think steam is invasive. This is unacceptable :S
I think Steam is much more invasive. Atleast the AC2 DRM works transparently in the background.
Steam basically forces an extra step before you can launch your games. And if an update was released since your last launch, then you gotta wait for the patch to download before you can play (i.e., if your urge to play didn't die already).

What's more is if you are a BSNL subscriber who prays before getting up each morning and while returning from work that your ADSL link is still ON, then you can kiss your game goodbye if your connection is terminated while an update was downloading :lol:.

I am speaking here for the majority of Internet users in India who have only 256k connections.
Ofcourse the experience improves as your bandwidth improves, but as I always say, this kind of dependency on an always ON high speed Internet connection can roll over and die.

I wish they'd just regress it to strictly a delivery system for games and updates and stop forcing people to keep it constantly loaded. Man, that would be perfect.
Yes it uses very less memory, but I don't give a crap. In its current state, Steam is only favorable for multiplayer games.

oops bought AC2 last week and finished it lol... best game ever, f*** u cry babies, not a SINGLE problem with drm it is not affected by ur net speed i guess it just sends packets of data during the game

and 925rs is not a bad deal

mhafizji said:
oops bought AC2 last week and finished it lol... best game ever, f*** u cry babies, not a SINGLE problem with drm it is not affected by ur net speed i guess it just sends packets of data during the game

and 925rs is not a bad deal

how long did it take to complete?

saumilsingh said:
I wish they'd just regress it to strictly a delivery system for games and updates and stop forcing people to keep it constantly loaded. Man, that would be perfect.
Yes it uses very less memory, but I don't give a crap. In its current state, Steam is only favorable for multiplayer games.

I think Impulse works like that. Not sure though, since I havent bought from them before. But, I've read that it doesnt require any client to be running in background.
Also, Good Old Games (GOG.com) sells games without any DRM. Obviously, its only really old games. But, since its owned by CD Projekt, I have a suspicion that Witcher 2 might show up in it. Specially, since the Witcher 2 trailer did not have any mention of any publisher. Or, maybe they are just looking for one. But I dont think any other newer games will come up on it. No other publisher would like to sell games without DRM.

But, I did not get what really is your gripe with Steam. I mean, it will not bring out of the game it your connections breaks. And it also has an offline mode. Yes, it does force updates, but I'm sure even the Ubisoft one would do that and GFWL also does that.

it would take a miracle for the witcher 2 to show up on gog.com without drm. atari, who are the publishers, would go apeshit if that happened :bleh:

Back