This is why your local mall might soon wear an empty look (Hint: it’s Flipkart’s fault)

avi

Skilled
If you went only by the number of shopping malls in the country, you would think the brick-and-mortar retail space in India is booming. By the end of this year, India will have more than 87 million square feet of shopping space in its malls, an increase of over 15% from last year. The country already has 570 functional malls, with this number having doubled over the last five years.

There is, however, one problem: buyers are no longer doing their shopping at shopping malls. What looked like India’s great retail growth story is turning out to be a tale of empty shopping complexes and stalled projects, with developers giving up midway instead of trying to make these projects profitable. The culprit, data suggests, could be online shopping

More - http://scroll.in/article/693032/Thi...r-an-empty-look-(Hint:-it’s-Flipkart’s-fault)

This is good. Yesterday I went to Ambi mall in GGN. God knows why I drove out so far. Everything is over priced and the people were such snobs. LOL. Girls dress up here, to visit the malls. So weird.

its a good thing considering the fact that malls rob people with all the over priced stuff.

Most of the people I interact with complain high prices in the malls as compared to markets in Mumbai. Firstly the rentals and maintenance are very high. Staff is also expensive now-a-days. Mostly people visit malls for Food Courts, Outings and Meeting Points.

If you see stores like big bazaar, star bazaar and reliance. that sell goods at very low margins do attract crowds but are not able to recover the cost and show profit. Also they are jumping on either borrowed money or spare money (in case of reliance).

Even the business model of flipkart and amazon is wrong. They are burning cash. It would not surprise me to see another big slump in businesses after they have no funding left in the coming 2-3 years.

but you do get good deal on clothes in mall.
People goto myntra ,apply coupons and think the are saving so much money...go to some phhysical store and you will
find that the clothes cost same....sometimes even cheaper
These websiites mark the price higher and then give discount on them.
This true for branded clothes like levi,converse,wrangler etc

For electronics I always buy headphones from starmark in my local mall.
When I have to replace them,I just give them the headphone and they send the headphone for replacement on their
own money.

Ofcourse electronics which rarely need replacement like RAM,,Flash drives I buy from websites

Clothes are cheaper online.

Just got a jacket from Nike which is selling at MRP in Nike store for a 32% discount from Myntra.

All things from the online websites have MRP and they cant increase the prices beyond MRP.

Problem with some sort of stuff, such as clothes is that you have to try and buy which is only possible in shops. Apart from that, everything is available online and is much more convenient and cheaper to purchase.

By the way, I can't be the only person who has noticed the irony of shopping malls crying against e-commerce. Not so long ago, shopping malls were on the receiving end of shopkeepers' scorn.
The predators are now the prey.

If you went only by the number of shopping malls in the country, you would think the brick-and-mortar retail space in India is booming. By the end of this year, India will have more than 87 million square feet of shopping space in its malls, an increase of over 15% from last year. The country already has 570 functional malls, with this number having doubled over the last five years.

There is, however, one problem: buyers are no longer doing their shopping at shopping malls. What looked like India’s great retail growth story is turning out to be a tale of empty shopping complexes and stalled projects, with developers giving up midway instead of trying to make these projects profitable. The culprit, data suggests, could be online shopping

More - http://scroll.in/article/693032/Thi...r-an-empty-look-(Hint:-it’s-Flipkart’s-fault)
Malls are for people with excess cash to park their funds. i am referring to the mall owners.

shopping is secondary.

Back