Budget 41-50k Thoughts on the HP Victus RX 5500M variant

retrophiliac

Disciple
Hi TE members! There's a computer science student in my neighbourhood who's looking for a laptop for programming, CAD and some gaming. His maximum budget is 55K. I've recommended him the HP Victus RX 5500M variant. Is it a good choice, or should look for something else? Thank You!

I just visited HP shop in mumbai yesterday and checked the laptop

Victus series has very weird location of power button, it's part of the keyboard it's places next to delete button on keyboard,

I did not like that, but build quality was good

Victus series has very weird location of power button, it's part of the keyboard it's places next to delete button on keyboard,
Yes, i had that in a lenovo laptop too. Somehow laptop keyboards tend to be low quality, that power button failed and laptop would not boot. Seemed to have been common issue with that series.
Found out from a youtube video that there was a small pin hole through which we could boot, and that confirmed that it was the keyboard that was the problem. Real crappy design, that one.

So he bought the HP Victus RX 6500M variant, which was introduced pretty recently in the market; there's not much about it on YouTube either.

The updated version comes with a 15.6" 144Hz screen; the earlier model had a 16.1" 60Hz panel. Apart from that, the battery capacity is reduced to 52.5 Wh.

The laptop has a decent build quality; at first glance, it looked like its body was made of metal.

The power button placement is odd; it is integrated with the keyboard and placed beside the delete key. You've got to be careful while deleting files.

The total cost was 62K in the local market. (57 + 5K for 3 years of extended warranty, including accidental damage).
20230309_150449.jpg

20230309_134800.jpg

20230309_135359.jpg

20230309_150213.jpg

Power button placement, while not something I like, doesn't really create an issue. 3 years ago I got an Asus laptop which had a similar placement of the power button. I thought I would keep pressing it while reaching for the delete button. 3 years later, the number of times I have pressed it accidentally is Zero. You get used to it pretty quickly.

My work laptop also has similar placement (HP Probook). Although I mostly use external keyboard, sometimes I do use the laptop keyboard as well and never accidentally press the power key.

So he bought the HP Victus RX 6500M variant, which was introduced pretty recently in the market; there's not much about it on YouTube either.

The updated version comes with a 15.6" 144Hz screen; the earlier model had a 16.1" 60Hz panel. Apart from that, the battery capacity is reduced to 52.5 Wh.

The laptop has a decent build quality; at first glance, it looked like its body was made of metal.

The power button placement is odd; it is integrated with the keyboard and placed beside the delete key. You've got to be careful while deleting files.

The total cost was 62K in the local market. (57 + 5K for 3 years of extended warranty, including accidental damage).
View attachment 162828

View attachment 162817

View attachment 162819

View attachment 162822
Can you ask him to do some benchmarks and post it here. I'm interested in this laptop too.

Can you ask him to do some benchmarks and post it here. I'm interested in this laptop too.
I compared my friend's Victus 5500M with 8GB RAM against another friend's Dell G15 with 3050 (2x8GB RAM). Don't remember the exact numbers at 1080p ultra, but 5500M Victus was like ~15% slower, was above 70fps with 3050 model above 80fps something. So overall 5500M is better than 1650, a good middle ground between 1650 & 3050

Just average and 1% fps data of some games he has.
It's his first powerful laptop, and I doubt he has any games worthy of benchmarking. I have some AAA titles in my Epic Games account, but downloading and testing them would really be a time-consuming task. Anyway, I'll see what I can do; in the meantime, you should check out this YouTube gaming benchmark video, which features the same HP Victus laptop equipped with an RX 6500M.

Considering that 4000 series is now released by nvidia... Are there any chance of getting 3050 or any 3000 laptop cheaper ... Sadly in india 1650 is selling still at 55k and above that too with 8 gb 512 gb... This companies are abusing Indian market

Considering that 4000 series is now released by nvidia... Are there any chance of getting 3050 or any 3000 laptop cheaper ...
It shouldn't take longer; today I saw a few RTX 3050 laptops under 60K on Flipkart; they were on sale. I believe that within 2–3 months, RTX 3000 Series laptops will be widely available for a good price.

Considering that 4000 series is now released by nvidia... Are there any chance of getting 3050 or any 3000 laptop cheaper ... Sadly in india 1650 is selling still at 55k and above that too with 8 gb 512 gb... This companies are abusing Indian market
Maybe, depends on Nvidia's strategy. 3050 can potentially be the new 1650 if Nvidia wants. Some cheap MSI models with low power 3050 cost 60k at times. Else 65k or more for Victus, G15 & such.

Back