PC Peripherals [THUNDERBOLT TECHNOLOGY]Transfer a full-length HD movie in less than 30 seconds

Gannu said:
A word used by mainly South Londoners. It's the shorter version of 'bruvva' which is a slang variation of 'brother'

Since when did we move to the south of london?

it just sounds a little lame given that it isn't 'catching on' in spite of Alpha17's repeated attempts at getting people to use it.

stalker said:
Since when did we move to the south of london?

it just sounds a little lame given that it isn't 'catching on' in spite of Alpha17's repeated attempts at getting people to use it.
I don't see any harm if he's using it. Nor do I think he's expecting others to use them, then why the fuss? Besides, I've seen others on the forum using it as well.

Much ado about nothing!

@alpha17......i am living in a world where a 30 pin dock connector wire with usb is much cheaper to make than a usb 3.0 cable for the portable hdd....trust me on tat as i know exact production cost of each of these...... may b they don't have a wide enough installed base... but thunderbolt interface for their consumer items like iphone, ipod or ipad.... (30 pin dock connector on one side n thunderbolt on the system side... ) n the prices for this connector will plummet like nything....

@techentu..... yup it is a closed tech jus like usb 1.0initially was... a bold implementation by Apple... by replacing all legacy ports with usb ports on their 1st generation imac.... n now u can call usb as closed as ???????

Tech_enthu said:
I think it is a new (CLOSED TECH) design and will eventually fail like Firwwire etc .. specially as it is supported by Apple..

they don't have a wide enough userbase to make a difference.
Wake up people!! Thunderbolt is Intel technology just like USB is and will be used in a lot of systems other than Apple's. It is not Apple exclusive tech. Firefire is apple tech for the most part, thunderbolt is not. There is no data currently to make a fair assessment of whether it would catch on or not. Even USB did not catch on that well till the USB 2.0 came out. It was USB 2 that dealt the final blow to Firewire.

What I feel about thunderbolt is that it is too much too soon. People don't have enough time to absorb USB3 yet and we have a new tech here. There are not enough/appropriate applications to make use of it and that is a dangerous situation for any tech as it has the potential to kill it without giving it chance to develop.

cnctinc said:
@alpha17......i am living in a world where a 30 pin dock connector wire with usb is much cheaper to make than a usb 3.0 cable for the portable hdd....trust me on tat as i know exact production cost of each of these...... may b they don't have a wide enough installed base... but thunderbolt interface for their consumer items like iphone, ipod or ipad.... (30 pin dock connector on one side n thunderbolt on the system side... ) n the prices for this connector will plummet like nything....

You are gravely mistaken if you think that Apple would replace a proprietary dock connector with a standardized connector. Why do you think Apple would repeatedly implement that proprietary dock connector when USB was already available? They are never going to put a standard connector on any on their hardware where possible. Heck they frequently broke the USB specs to create proprietary USB cables and connectors for their products. It is also funny to hear you say that Apples adoption of thunderbolt interface would drive down its cost. Apple sells cables at Uber premiums. Even third party manufacturers would set their prices higher than usual because of that.

cnctinc said:
@techentu..... yup it is a closed tech jus like usb 1.0initially was... a bold implementation by Apple... by replacing all legacy ports with usb ports on their 1st generation imac.... n now u can call usb as closed as ???????
Actually apple did not adopt USB at all, they opposed it vehemently with their Firewire spec. Its only after USB because very popular that they started supporting USB as well. Firewire was an open spec defined under IEEE1394 and while it has a major advantage over USB 1.0 and 1.1 in terms of bandwidth and widely used as the choice of interface for a lot of AV equipment, it still did not catch on like USB. So Whether the tech is closed or open does not matter as much as you think.

Lord Nemesis said:
What I feel about thunderbolt is that it is too much too soon. People don't have enough time to absorb USB3 yet and we have a new tech here. There are not enough/appropriate applications to make use of it and that is a dangerous situation for any tech as it has the potential to kill it without giving it chance to develop.
The REALLY crazy part is that, this isn't even LightPeak at it's best. Optical lightpeak does 20GBit afaik.

You are gravely mistaken if you think that Apple would replace a proprietary dock connector with a standardized connector. Why do you think Apple would repeatedly implement that proprietary dock connector when USB was already available? They are never going to put a standard connector on any on their hardware where possible. Heck they frequently broke the USB specs to create proprietary USB cables and connectors for their products. It is also funny to hear you say that Apples adoption of thunderbolt interface would drive down its cost. Apple sells cables at Uber premiums. Even third party manufacturers would set their prices higher than usual because of that.

nopes... i don't think they ditching 30 pin connector any time soon... lots of peripherals sales depend on it....

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

now only if you were looking forward to buy from apple or some uber cool third party.... will u pay as much... people now do buy from not so cool product vendors who will sell a usb to 30 pin dock cable for as little as 30/-.... how does the price comes this low... simple... it sells in large nos.... so more people get into manufacturing that particular cable... and more manufacturers means lower prices...

if apple were to start using thunderbolt to 30 pin dock cable as standard for connecting about 200million or so ios devices to their system... which btw intel will also b putting on its main boards... don't c y the prices for same cable comes down by quite a bit... may be even for as low as usb to 30 pin dock connector...

^^ My point was that Apple cannot on its sales alone, make or break thunderbolt or even drive down its costs. For one there apple would not replace their dock connector with this on any of its iOS devices and their Desktop/Laptop industry is very minuscule. 200 million is a very small number compared to the consumers of PC/Mobile phone/PMP industry that uses USB. If this huge industry cannot drive down the cost of USB cables to your satisfaction, how can you expect a minuscule market of Apple customers (half of whom are used to buying $1 cables for $50) to drive down the cost of thunderbolt cables and connectors.

apple is jus the start... i believe tat intel too is fully behind thunderbolt... n c no reason y it will not put it on its mainstream main boards for the pc market.... apple alone can't drive down the cost... yup true... but still don't think it is too much too soon... it is a better tech than usb 3.0 in every way...n not jus on data bandwidth front.... also for displays.... compared to vga , dvi , hdmi, this thing is small... ultimately a tech which is better... cheaper to produce on a mass scale.. c no reason y it shouldn't b on market... can't b thinking tat oh... this got 10gbps data transfer rates... wat we gonna do with tat.. if we don't use all of it... its a waste.... than a mouse running on a usb 2.0 port.... its also wasting a lot of bandwidth.... so wat do v do... switch back to serial or ps2 mouse???? nopes... usb is simply better than serial or ps2...

so goes for thunderbolt...

cnctinc said:
apple is jus the start... i believe tat intel too is fully behind thunderbolt... n c no reason y it will not put it on its mainstream main boards for the pc market.... apple alone can't drive down the cost... yup true... but still don't think it is too much too soon... it is a better tech than usb 3.0 in every way...n not jus on data bandwidth front.... also for displays.... compared to vga , dvi , hdmi, this thing is small... ultimately a tech which is better... cheaper to produce on a mass scale.. c no reason y it shouldn't b on market... can't b thinking tat oh... this got 10gbps data transfer rates... wat we gonna do with tat.. if we don't use all of it... its a waste.... than a mouse running on a usb 2.0 port.... its also wasting a lot of bandwidth.... so wat do v do... switch back to serial or ps2 mouse???? nopes... usb is simply better than serial or ps2...

If possible, could you try using regular English with punctuations?

cnctinc said:
apple is jus the start... i believe tat intel too is fully behind thunderbolt... n c no reason y it will not put it on its mainstream main boards for the pc market.... apple alone can't drive down the cost... yup true...

In essence you are just reiterating and agreeing with my point that it needs to be accepted by massive PC/Portable devices community at large in order to be successful. Apple alone cannot do anything about it. And btw, this is intel tech, so saying "intel too is fully behind thunderbolt" doesn't make any sense. They are obviously behind it as the creators, rather you should say "Apple too is fully supporting the thunderbolt tech"

cnctinc said:
but still don't think it is too much too soon... it is a better tech than usb 3.0 in every way...n not jus on data bandwidth front.... also for displays.... compared to vga , dvi , hdmi, this thing is small... ultimately a tech which is better... cheaper to produce on a mass scale.. c no reason y it shouldn't b on market... can't b thinking tat oh... this got 10gbps data transfer rates... wat we gonna do with tat.. if we don't use all of it... its a waste.... than a mouse running on a usb 2.0 port.... its also wasting a lot of bandwidth.... so wat do v do... switch back to serial or ps2 mouse???? nopes... usb is simply better than serial or ps2...

We didn't step from Serial to USB2 or USB3 in one giant leap. The original USB was not too much of an improvement over the serial port in terms of bandwidth. What it did offer was a standardization and simplification of the interface and it paved the way for a variety of devices to be connected over a standard interface. It didn't replace just two types of serial ports, but also the parallel ports. Further it allowed daisy chaining which was also very important. There was a definite problem that it solved immediately namely to provide a unified and easy to use interface and reduce the clutter of ports behind your typical PC and that is why it was accepted by the market. The bandwidth upgrades and more features and functionality were added later. In contrast, what immediate problem does thunderbolt solve.

Market is driven by solutions that satisfy consumer needs, not the other way around. But as Gaurish aptly put it

Gaurish said:
It seems like solution in search of a problem

Thunderbolt is a solution desperately in search of a problem.

Back