Audio THX Certified sound systems - Rate them

dayanam29

Disciple
hi.... guys, this thred is intented to post details only about THX certified speaker systems. plz post brand, model and Rates....wish u all the best......thanks

eg: Altek lansing MX 5021 (2.1 system) MRP 8990/-

Re: THX Certified sound systems and rate..contribute urself.

THX certification by itself doesnt mean anything, and probably just adds to the cost of product :p

greenhorn said:
THX certification by itself doesnt mean anything, and probably just adds to the cost of product :p

+1
Not to mention that the MX 5021 can be had for under 7k these days.
Alright, i'll go along and give you another name, though im not sure of the purpose :S :-
Logitech Z5500

This site contains up-to-date information on THX products.

Consumer Home Entertainment THX.com

THX does mean a lot. It is a trust that a consumer can have on a product and if you take a look at the products that are THX certified, you will understand. They are a bit costly and that is because the manufacturer has to stick to THX standards.

cranky said:
Care to name a few things it does 'mean'?

Read this: About Us THX.com

There is no need to worry about product quality when it has THX cerificate.

MX5021
Gigaworks S700
Gigaworks ProGamer G500
Gigaworks S750
Megaworks THX 650
Z-560
Klipsch Promedia
Razer Mako 2.1

Take a look at this list and you will see that the products are the best in class:

Consumer Home Entertainment Thx Certified Products THX.com

yes, we are aware of their claims. But do you know the TRUTH?

read the link i posted :p

Read this:

You *do* realise the question was sarcastic, don't you?

Let's try once again.

THX is a set of specifications. It's like an ISI mark, or an ISO9000. It tells you nothing about product quality. It is a set of specifications that the product must meet, that is all. If it explodes trying to do so, it is not certified, and if it does not, it is certified. It's that simple. You pay Lucas Films a lot of money for the permission to use the logo, and submit your product.

And of all the speakers you have listed, only the Giga/Mega works and the MX5021 sound good. The Logitech and Razer products sound like crap, which is not evaluated by the specification so it's no problem to get the certification. Neither is the longevity, build quality, service and support, or any other parameter.

Instead of using product links, can you tell me *in your experience or understanding* what the THX logo means, how many types there are and what the specifications mean to convey? Since you seem to be an expert - I expect better than a hogwash link to a PR link on the THX site instead of some more hardcore knowledge. If you have *your own point of view* (one that is not spat out by marketing folks to gullible people), well then, I'm all for hearing it.

It's just a acoustic/electric output and FR spec. Nothing more, nothing less. There are many specs such as IHF, FTC and DIN, that make more sense in terms of specifications, and some like ANSI (the first rev) or EIA make very little sense. THX is a marketing gimmick, no more and no less. It is a fancy logo for which you can charge a gullible consumer a lot more money. Not all manufacturers do, so even in that game of subterfuge there may be a few good products.

Next time, do your homework and post. It's all well to believe that whatever manufacturers say is great, but don't go around touting it on a public forum *unless you know for yourself*.

^^hmm. If I had believed whatever manufacturers said, I would have gone for iball or Intex speakers. Their ads showcase their products as if they are the best and gives ultimate sound quality.

I am not in a school to do homework and so cut the crap!

If you thought that Razer mako and Logitech speakers sound like crap, sorry, can't help you.

yes. THX is a mark of quality and so, If I see a product with this logo on it, I can be totally sure that it will give a good AV experience and that the quality would be as per the standards. And if I am right, THX labs never revealed what specs they look for or what tests they do. But they do all the necessary quality check so that we, the end users need not worry about the AV quality of the product.

And I gave the product links because what ever the cerficate is, it is the products that show the true nature of the certificate or whatever. And in this case, the THX certified products ooze quality and I am very very sure about that.

In short, If I find two audio products, one with THX certificate and one without THX, I would definitely go for the one with THX.

Do remember, Just connecint a THX certified speaker to a mp3 player and testing quality makes absolutely no sense. And I find the same. The speakers work much better when I connect them to Soundblaster (PC) than when connected to laptop or cowon D2 or ipod touch. And I know that the experience will be much better if I use THX certified soundcard.

Most importantly, Do not judge THX by looking at the THX certified products in consumer line up. The bigger picture is when you use it to build a home theatre or a movie theatre. There aren't any such theatres in India but if you find one, you need to go and check.

For a movie theatre, THX labs check everything from speakres to amps and also theatre's construction. This is to make sure that those who watch movie in a theatre gets ultimate experience out of it.

Reason why not many opt for it is that it takes lot of money to attain the standards that is necessary.

desiibond said:
^^hmm. If I had believed whatever manufacturers said, I would have gone for iball or Intex speakers. Their ads showcase their products as if they are the best and gives ultimate sound quality.

I am not in a school to do homework and so cut the crap!

If you thought that Razer mako and Logitech speakers sound like crap, sorry, can't help you.

yes. THX is a mark of quality and so, If I see a product with this logo on it, I can be totally sure that it will give a good AV experience and that the quality would be as per the standards. And if I am right, THX labs never revealed what specs they look for or what tests they do. But they do all the necessary quality check so that we, the end users need not worry about the AV quality of the product.

And I gave the product links because what ever the cerficate is, it is the products that show the true nature of the certificate or whatever. And in this case, the THX certified products ooze quality and I am very very sure about that.

In short, If I find two audio products, one with THX certificate and one without THX, I would definitely go for the one with THX.

Do remember, Just connecint a THX certified speaker to a mp3 player and testing quality makes absolutely no sense. And I find the same. The speakers work much better when I connect them to Soundblaster (PC) than when connected to laptop or cowon D2 or ipod touch. And I know that the experience will be much better if I use THX certified soundcard.

Most importantly, Do not judge THX by looking at the THX certified products in consumer line up. The bigger picture is when you use it to build a home theatre or a movie theatre. There aren't any such theatres in India but if you find one, you need to go and check.

For a movie theatre, THX labs check everything from speakres to amps and also theatre's construction. This is to make sure that those who watch movie in a theatre gets ultimate experience out of it.

Reason why not many opt for it is that it takes lot of money to attain the standards that is necessary.

QFT:rofl:

This is way too much fun. I suppose you think bose is the awesomeness as well?

DID YOU EVEN READ THE LINK I GAVE YOU ?

cranky saar, he's drunk way too much kool aid. let him be :p

Go through all the sections of this:

Acoustics

Screen Placement

Projection Booth Placement

D-Cinema installation & Integration

TASA Certification

Professional Cinema Certification THX.com

In your words, had you done your homework, you could've understood THX is lot more than a single BD Player or a speaker set. It's the environment and the setup that they concentrate on.

and here is a video that you may need to see: www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVx8-px96j4

I myself have noticed that many theatres in my hometown sport Dolby and DTS setup but even then the audio quality sucks. because they use these elcheapo amps and shoddy speakers that it takes the quality away from the movie. Certifications like THX help the end users in this scenario.

From movie theatre to home theatre, if it is certified by THX, it would be mean quality and only quality but quality means price and this is why some think that THX means price (and totally miss the quality part and make fun in a sarcastic way).

What is the use if you have a 40" HDTV and couple it with a CD Player and el cheapo 2.1 speakers. A good movie experience needs a good setup and this is where THX comes it. They make sure that the setup that you get is worth giving good movie experience or not.

desiibond said:
Go through all the sections of this:

Acoustics

Screen Placement

Projection Booth Placement

D-Cinema installation & Integration

TASA Certification

Professional Cinema Certification THX.com

In your words, had you done your homework, you could've understood THX is lot more than a single BD Player or a speaker set. It's the environment and the setup that they concentrate on.

What is the use if you have a 40" HDTV and couple it with a CD Player and el cheapo 2.1 speakers. A good movie experience needs a good setup and this is where THX comes it. They make sure that the setup that you get is worth giving good movie experience or not.

Okay, I'll bite, again.

What you've linked to (as well as those sub sections you have pointed out to) is a certification program for theatres. Its entirely irrelevant to your home theatre setup.

so who needs to do their homework again ;)

And how exactly does having a THX certified product prevent stupidity on your part as far as product selection is concerned? Does it increase the owner's IQ :p Do you get a free Home installation? How do they ensure that your setup gives you a good movie experience?

I am not in a school

Then you probably need to go back to one.

THX labs never revealed what specs they look for or what tests they do.

It's on the THX website, mate. You really need to learn how to read instead of just writing. There are multiple specs, so a THX (desktop MM) product is very different from a THX (Home theatre) product, or a THX certified movie theatre. The specs are not public domain, and therefore not available to non-certified installers or manufacturers. I have a copy in front of me, but obviously I am not sharing as it is under NDA and not to me for that matter ;)

As a manufacturer, one may choose to exceed the spec by putting more money into the product and not send it for certification. The decision on certification rests with the manufacturer.

The Kraft 400 power amplifier costs 30,000 Euros, it is not THX certified, but I guess a Denon POA-A1 for 2,000 Euro is better because it has THX2 certificate? Really, sometimes use proper logic.

FWIW, I personally own audio equipment exceeding the cost of 30 Logitech Z5500 sets - and am on my 8th high-end system now (think 1L+ each time, and 3L+ for my current set). And I've learnt only one thing, and that is that badges and certificates don't mean anything, product quality has got only to do with market niches, cost and profit ratios and nothing else. So if two equally priced products differ only in the certification, it is a possibility that the one without the certificate would have more money put into the parts and bits because they didn't actually have to pay Georgey boy. Or that both are skimming your pockets. There is no way to tell unless you do a bit of research and put in some listening time

And the Logitechs do sound like ass. That is pretty much the consensus on this and pretty much all other forums, unless you happen to be the type who thinks a one-note bass boom is bass, or that a sibilant and over-pronounced top end is 'clear'. It sounds like crap, and is not that well-built either.

Badges are for fools who can't make judgements. Someday you need to join a marketing organisation (I was in the marketing industry for a long time) and see how they disguise truths in the ZPTOs and THXs. It's all the same - create acronyms and confuse the crap out of the consumer. Once you open up a MX5021 for modding or listen to a Z5500 with a decent system and some decent music you (should) will see and hear for yourself.

You're welcome to believe what you want, but it's not gospel truth. Someday you'll realise that there is much more to products than text on a webpage. When you do, go for some high-end auditions in your city and you will hear the truth. Bangalore has many excellent setups, start looking for a way to listen to them.

Good luck.

greenhorn said:
And how exactly does having a THX certified product prevent stupidity on your part as far as product selection is concerned? Does it increase the owner's IQ :p Do you get a free Home installation? How do they ensure that your setup gives you a good movie experience?

There are two ways here. One is that you just get the THX equipment, connect everything and feel like a geek and the second is that you let the THX people take care of everything from speaker selection to Hometheatre setup (like sound absorbing material).

I know that you are being sarcastic and if you are not ready to undestand the process, you will never understand what THX is.

and this is for home theatre setup: Speakers & Receivers THX.com

and this is for home audio: THX Home Audio Buyer Guide THX.com

and please, shed the feeling that anything that needs extra bucks is waste.

Electronics: FCC check
automobiles: Euro and bharat norms
Consumer goods: ISI

Then why not THX?

And in all above cases, companies need to pay for the relevant certificate and you get uncertified products for less price but then you only go for those with ISI mark or with FCC mark. but for audio THX is a big no for you because the companies have to pay to THX to get license. Grow up!!

Electronics: FCC check

automobiles: Euro and bharat norms

Are *mandatory* to be able to sell the product in their respective countries.

@greenie: I'm not posting any more in this thread. This discussion has morphed into the battle of the fanboi against logic, and in that only one side can ever win.

cranky said:
Are *mandatory* to be able to sell the product in their respective countries.

@greenie: I'm not posting any more in this thread. This discussion has morphed into the battle of the fanboi against logic, and in that only one side can ever win.

yes. they are mandatory. Why? because they make sure that the product that is sold is qualified to do what it has to. In the same way, when THX certifies products or setups, why are you thinking it as a pure marketing blah blah? This was created by Lucas to make sure that the audience get the best movie experience in a theatre.

and thanks for leaving! Please do understand the logic first if you want to debate on things that are alien to you!

Some of us choose to trust our ears more than a Certification. Its that simple. And both of us are speaking out of experience. I too own a rather expensive THX certified soundcard, which was my pride and joy, till i listened to another card, which cost a fraction of the price, at my place, and figured how expensive those three letters really were.

When buying audio & home theatre equipment, dont trust the specs, dont trust the pretty pictures, dont trust the buzzwords & trademarks. Trust only two things. Your eyes and ears. If you cannot trust them, there is nothing We can tell you to make you think otherwise.

Your arguement is , THX certified = good ( to which we agree somewhat(see below), after all,they are better than the crap you usually get)

Our argument is THX is not the sole certification for good audio equipment, that there is a lot of good stuff out there which sounds vastly better than THX certified stuff of the same cost. While Good equipment may be THX certified, the reverse does not always hold true, ie that

1) THX certified equipment is the best

2) THX certified stuff > other stuff

THX certification is given to help utter noobs with their buying decisions. to them, your arguements apply. But you're on a tech forum. You're supposed to know better here.

EDIT @ Desiibond. Are you IBM Rational Certified ?

of course there is better equipment out there that is not THX certified.

Also, I am a proud owner of a THX certified speakers and I am yet to find something that can beat them at this price point and there is nothing at a lower price point.

Trust your ear but what about the cases where you are going to spend hefty sum for a home setup and you don't have an option to replicate the setup before purchasing. What would you do in that case. for a consumer/user, the certificates are more trustworthy than a random recommendation by a person on a tech forum. And it's not just THX that is there that does this. If you are ready to pay, brands like JBL, Onkyo and Sonodyne setup your home theatre for you. It's just that THX follows a more refined and well tested procedures and this is the reaon why I trust THX.

Believe me, 90% of those who have their hometheatres setup in home never ever login to tech forums. For them, standards like THX works! coz they never have to worry about permutations and combinations, placement of speakers etc. And if they want to learn, everything is neatly explained at THX.com.

You can call these bunch of people noobs or whatever but they comprise the majority and this works for them.

In the end, however techie you are, you just won't be able to breath if you take a look at these setups. Best example would be the bose sound room, though I know that I can get a similar setup formuch less price, I was spellbound by the quality and beauty of the setup when I took bose AV demo in their hometheatre (near MG Road, bangalore).

Just curious, may I know which soundcard you have and what speakers you use?

Just curious, may I know which soundcard you have and what speakers you use?

Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

The speakers & amp - I had them custom made :ashamed:

Back