Laptops Time for a new laptop

Shripad

ex-Mod
Well, finally my good old HP DV2500 bit the dust thanks to NVIDIA GPU mess up.

It was under extended care warranty as it had NV 8400M chip, but it will take 3 weeks for it to come back from repairs. And after that I plan to sell it or give it to my sister.

I do have 2007 macbook but dad is using it and he does not like too much change in his life :p

So its time for a new one.

My basic requirement are simple.

1. 14 incher or smaller

2. 2.5KG Max weight

3. Processor not an issue. C2D or C2S is fine. This wont run any CPU heavy apps. No AMD chips.

4. Discrete graphics is preferred as I would like to play HD content on this. ( Not just mkv rips, but complete uncompressed BD rips as well). No gaming. So might even get away with something like 4500MHD. But if I can have little more for light game of Ashes cricket, nothing like it :p

Budget is not a big issue. anything upto 70k is doable.

I have tried Dell studio 14, and frankly, I have lost faith in Dell lately with their new lineup. They are not as sturdy as they used to be and it is showing in their hardware.

Other option that I can think of is 2009 macbook (base model) and run it on windows 7 via bootcamp. (Windows is must on my primary laptop thanks to windows specific apps that I need. ). 2GB DDR3 RAM on this one wont be enough, so getting that upgraded through Apple will cost some serious money here. So was thinking of buying it from US after customising and get it here with a friend who is coming next month.

Now I can also get any other lappie from there. So looking for some ideas that I might have missed or ignored. Any input is welcomed.

HDD space on any laptop is not an issue. I am going to buy lowest capacity HDD and wont be spending on adding / upgrading HDD through manufacturer as I have already bought 500giger sata for my old laptop and I will be putting that in new one.

As you are planning to buy laptop from the US consider the Sony Vaio. Unlike here they can be customized there and the build quality is very good. You can get good config with a C2D 6600, 320GB HDD, 4GB DDRIII and Nvidia G230M(512MB VRAM) mGPU for ~$850.

VPC-CW190 | VAIO® CW Configure-to-Order | Sony | Sony Style USA

you can get a macbook for~$1100 and macbook pro for $1300 but they have 13" screens. Plus only a 9400M. IMO go for the sony vaio.

Apple has revamped the base Macbook to a 2.26Ghz processor and backlit LEDs along with Firewire, SD Card support and a 7-hour cell.

Memory upgrade isn't an issue, its DIY. In fact the instructions are in the manual itself. You can pickup 4GB DDR3-1066 for $100 on the Egg.

Acer 3810T looks like a sweet laptop... but I'm a little sckeptical about the weird Enter key. Check that... it only does not have a dedicated GFX from ATi or Nvidia it has a Intel GFX Chip. But all in all it looks sweet !!!

Back