To make sure that data is not recoverable

I'm not saying you can recover using your default HDD header that comes with your HDD. There are specialized tools which can read magnetic imprints of the last data. You take the platter out of the HDD and put it into these tools. I don't know how these work but yeah there are some expensive tools. Last time I read in 2000 that some company was able to recover data of 7 full rewrites. Maybe technology is much advanced now.
Wow this is scary but you should be some big shot so people will take such measures to recover your data. I was only concern if such tools exist easily on Internet

Did you managed to recover the previous data or the current bogus data that we overwrite to erase existing data. What I meant is if I have some personal pics then I would overwrite the disc with some movies from internet and make copies of then to fill the disk completely. You can easily recover that data but will you be able to recover originals pics or the movie that I've overwritten (I don't mind someone recovering a movie but the pics, Hell No thats not cool)
No bogus but true data. 100s of time from my own hdds and I was savior for my friends, family and organization too.
The tools were such that they used to show either past raw or earlier partitions as deep as earliest 9th or 10th one while beyond that partition were unreadable hence unrecoverable obviously.

In 2017 my 2tb hdd data went blank out of nowhere, no warning no signs and the drive was used sparingly for storing my captured imaged/videos.

After 2 days of rigorous scanning I was able to recover 95% data as is while rest 5% got converted into some garbage chunks which anyways was luckily not my data.

Lesson learnt, not=w maintaining 3 physical copies.

Its all about the efforts and time one can dedicate.

Its fun recovering data but at the same time no surety and stress and anxiety starts killing you from inside..and even depression!

Its fun recovering data but at the same time no surety and stress and anxiety starts killing you from inside..and even depression!
I know that feeling, I've managed to recover data but my HD was partially filled so don't know if it was recovered from overwritten segments.
lf data privacy is important, Why not keep hdd and ssd with you. Add new hdd and sell the pc
Yeah, my Gigabyte SSD failed once within warranty period but the data was sensitive in nature so didn't gave it for RMA (though there wasn't much to worry but didn't want to take any risk, even with company RMA)

Back