Top-10 Android Apps Thread

madnav

Skilled
Creating this thread to list top 10 android apps as per TE members here.

Has no relevance to similar articles world wide, just what is Top-10 as per members on TE.

Just post your Top Ten-10 list and we will update this list every week/fort-night/month as per convenience/demand :)

List may or may not be as per Priority/order. Advised to List your Apps as per Category as it would be easier for others to refer to list and try the apps in your list.

The sole purpose of this list is to Log the top useful apps so that new as well as existing android users can recommend what helps them utilize the potential of their device, as well, try what others recommend to widen the productivity of their device.

Let me start with my list in my next post as the 1st post shall be reserved for Top-10 list for all over TE after getting enough number of replies :)

EDIT: It seems it is not possible to keep updating every month :p

lets keep it an impending list..

UI Customization Apps and Widgets:

LauncherPro & ADW Launcher

Beautiful Widgets (Paid)

Fancy Widget

Widgetsoid (Paid)

WidgetLocker (Paid)

LiveWallpapers:

Blue Skies

(not really a fan of live wallpapers)

Productivity Apps:

EStrongs File Explorer

WiFi File Explorer

TeamViewer

Communication and Internet:

Handcent SMS

Go SMS

eBuddy Messenger

Tapatalk (Pro version is free) Some forums have their own version of This app which are free.

SkyFire Browser

Dolphin HD Browser

MultiMedia Apps:

VLC Remote

RockPlayer

Camera 360

Retro Cam

Games:

Angry Birds

Ninjump

PaperToss

PapiJump

Gameloft Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X (Paid)

Gameloft Asphalt 5 (Paid)

Gamelof Let's Gold 2 HD (Paid)

updated: 07-01-2011

Here is my top apps/gamez(not in order):

Rock Player

Handcent SMS

Helix Launcher

Task Manager

Photoshop Mobile

My Backup Pro

Smart Keyboard Pro

Robo Defence(Game)

Raging Thunder 2(Game)

MixZing

May not be the TOP 10, but I use these -

Twitter official client (Twitter client - @cyber_junkie)
AndChat (IRC client)
Nimbuzz (all-in-one instant messenger)
Astro (file manager that can access network shares!)
Barcode Scanner
Astrid Tasks (to-do list with calendar syncing feature)
Layar (augmented reality)
My Tracks (for GPS)
Opera Mini 5
Google Sky
TaskPanel (task manager to close unnecessary services/apps)
Quick Settings (to turn off services quickly)
Droid Comic Viewer (comic reader)
Aldiko (book reader - I haven't used it enough though)
gStrings (guitar tuner)

1. Advanced Task Killer

2. System Info Widget (paid)

3. Tapatalk Pro (Paid)

4. ES File Explorer

5. Google Sky Map

6. Kindle for Android and Nook for android

7. HomeRun Battle 3D (fantastic and addictive multiplayer :p )

8. Shazam

9. IMDB Movies & TV ( great to access IMDB laying on bed at night )

10. Titanium Backup

The others must have app is MSN Talk if you use msn extensively like I do and Engadget app.

But those two are necessities for me and are not must haves for everyone.

Now being on HTC Desire and having SenseUI on froyo does mean I does not need half the widgets and social networking apps that other people might need thanks to integration of the same in Sense UI :)

Here goes:
1. Ad Free Android (root required)
2. Opera Mini (for normal sites)
3. Dolphin Browser HD (for JS/Ajax sites)
4. Shazam (show off)
5. Andoku (Sudoku)
6. Advanced Task Manager Free
7. DailyStrip (comic strip reader - loads of comics)
8. VideoBox - Downloading youtube videos
9. Astro File Manager
10. Dictionary.com

Here are a few I regularly use and find very good:

Handcent SMS

Astro File Manager

Shazam

Barcode Scanner

Dolphin HD Browser

JuiceDefender

SMS Backup

Voice Search + HTC IME keyboard to enable Voice to Text for texting. This actually works surprisingly well for me.

Here are others I have installed but use infrequently:

Kindle for Android

Google Goggles

Paintjoy

Bump (I'd use this more if my friends had it installed too)

Dictionary.com

1) AK Notepad
2) Astro File manager
3) Engadget
4) Evernote
5) Places
6) Ringdroid
7) Show Nearby
8) Fring
9) Goggles
10) Talkanaut (to access TE)

My Top-10 apps.

mainly the one's those i use the most. (also including the games)

LauncherPro - Must have Launcher.

Swype - Life is just simpler on a touchscreen device with swype. makes typing(swyping :p) a pleasure.

Task Manager (by Rhythm Softwares)

TapaTalk Pro (Paid)

EasyMoney (Demo, have to purchase after one month.. didnt know :() - A great app to log your expenditure and income to keep track of your total outcome :p

Camera360 - Must have for spica users, may be all users. Can turn your fone into a wannabie Digicam with effects like HDR and lots of other fun effects.

ES File Explorer

Act1 Video Player (Paid) - Good Interface, easy to scroll with touch.

Shoot U! (Paid) (Shoot U Lite! is Free) - Great Physics based game, if you have played Crayon physics on PC then this is similar

Wireless Tether for Root Users (Spica edition v0.2) - Saves me in rainy season where the wired connection goes down for 2-3days generally.

Other apps that are good to have:-

Gallery 3D

screenshot (root)

App Lock - Can lock each any every item you can find in app drawer... Sadly can be ridiculed if you kill it from Task Manager :p

PapiJump - Simple accelerometer based game, yet addictive!

SMS Backup (Backs up to gmail account)

SpeedTest.net Speedt test

Nimbuzz

Fring

FxCamera

WikiMobile

Photoshop.com Mobile

Apps that I use (Not in any particular order)

1. Quick System Info

2. APNdroid

3. Launcher Pro

4. Astro File Manager

5. Barcode Scanner

6. Home Swticher

7. idemolished

8. Aldiko

9. ColorDict

10. Phonalzr

I see no one has mentioned feedr, its perhaps the best rss reader for Android and I prefer ti over all the ones available on iPhone. Its lightweight, superfast and stable. A must have.

Here's my list:

1. Feedr

2. chompsms (version 3.0 without irritating ads)

3. HTC IME keyboard

4. Google Earth

5. Launcher pro

6. 3 Bananas

7. Linda file manager

8. Skymap

9. Ringdroid

10. Advanced Task Killer

just an advice..
how about we include which phone model the person is using so that things become a little simpler for the person who is looking for apps for a particular phone.
I bought a xperia x10 yesterday and since it is 1.6 OS, i was looking in for top 10 apps for 1.6 .
so, adding the phone model makes things a little simpler.
just my 2 cents.

PS - ill add my top 10 list in a week or so after i explore the android market..:)

@ madnav: Though this is OT, it is not completely off track. Hope u'll understand.

I tried a lot of launchers & found the ADW.Launcher to be the best one out there. :hap2:

Unfortunately, Market doesn't work on my Spica as Loop doesn't have GPRS settings for the phone! :mad:

I searched a hell lot of places to find the .apk file for ADW.Launcher v1.0.1; the latest released by AnderWeb but found nothing. :(

Finally managed to get hold of the .apk from a Chinese website :p & I decided to upload it to Rapidshare & share the link here so that any others who may have a problem with the Market can get the file from here:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Please note that due credit goes to AnderWeb for developing this awesome app. Also, as the app is free, I see no harm in posting a direct link for the same (Hope I am correct!). :S

@ Mods: Please excuse me if I have violated any TE policy/rule in this post & feel free to delete this post in case I have.

nehaladsul said:
@ madnav: Though this is OT, it is not completely off track. Hope u'll understand.

I tried a lot of launchers & found the ADW.Launcher to be the best one out there. :hap2:

Unfortunately, Market doesn't work on my Spica as Loop doesn't have GPRS settings for the phone! :mad:

I searched a hell lot of places to find the .apk file for ADW.Launcher v1.0.1; the latest released by AnderWeb but found nothing. :(

Finally managed to get hold of the .apk from a Chinese website :p & I decided to upload it to Rapidshare & share the link here so that any others who may have a problem with the Market can get the file from here:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Please note that due credit goes to AnderWeb for developing this awesome app. Also, as the app is free, I see no harm in posting a direct link for the same (Hope I am correct!). :S

@ Mods: Please excuse me if I have violated any TE policy/rule in this post & feel free to delete this post in case I have.
i have tried that launched and i did not like it then, i do not quiet remember why i did not like it then though.

as for gprs on loop, go thought the last post #38 on This Thread for getting market and all apps on loop gprs.

and if you want, much better gprs plans in the same thread for docomo.

anyhow, you can post your list and people will try it and if they prefer it over launcherpro or say any other launcher then i guess they will mention the same. :)

EDiTED:

Included the thread link :p

^^ Sorry, but i don't really understand where exactly do u want me to find post #38........ :huh:

Can u pls post a link to the thread. Thanx.

:)

EDIT: Found it through Search. It's ur own thread: Which VFM GPRS for mumbai GSM users? Lemme see if this works.....

Also, if I subscribe for the Trunet29 plan, I have to pay 29/month right??

Okay, I had posted my top 10 earlier, but I would like to recommend one more app: My Market

As you know, the Android market is cluttered with junk apps/ring clips/sound boards and stuff. So, browsing through the market is a PITA. In comes the My Market app. Using this app, you can set various filters based on publisher, rating, package name, keywords etc and you will get filtered results.

Finally, I dont have to see any more of those Genwi apps.

Titanium Backup
Astro File Manager
ADW Launcher
Handscent
Dolphin Browser
HandyCalc
Advanced Task Killer
OfficeSuite
WYSE
Touiteur

1.documents to go
2.facebook for android