Less than 10K Touchscreen For Mom Within 2k-4k

kidrow

Adept
Touchscreen For Mom Within 2k-4k {Edit: Up To 6k}

Hi all,

My mom's SE w580i has started acting up & it seems that there's not much point in getting it repaired. So I'm on the lookout for a new phone. Although the budget is tight, she'd like a touchscreen 'cos that's caught her fancy this time around. (It was flip last time around, :p).

Wrt requirements:
1. Something that looks trendy/good (preferably white).
2. Usable screen - I don't think capacitive is an option in this budget, but if there's a more optimized resistive one. Also the bigger the better.
3. Ease of use - Mainly for texting (Soft Qwerty, if usable, would be a plus) & menu navigation.
4. Radio playback through it's speakers.

So which basic touchscreen would you recommend within the 2k-4k range (edit: & even up to 6k)? I've looked at various sites & come away absolutely confused 'cos there's so much on offer - Micromax x335, Psych, Nokia Touch n Type, Samsung Champ...... I'm open to all brands.

Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

Thanks for your reply mate. But that's one with a resistive screen. There's been enough red flags raised about resistive screens in the posts above already. So much so that it's prompted me to increase my budget by 1k-1.5k. If I had to buy a resistive touch, I'd probably go for a Micromax 'china maal' & save money, or at the most a Samsung Champ. Again, thanks for your response though.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Surprised that you are suggesting 'china maal', :p. But then again, I'm veering away from resistive touch. If I do go down that road then there are loads of options!

Glad to see a +1 for the Star 3. I am leaning towards it. There's a few reviews around & the broad conclusion is that it's a decent buy for the price. As for the LG T375, there's no English review I've come across yet. So I'm a bit wary. But if I can get it for a lot lower than the Star 3, I might go in for it!

Thanks for your reply, yet again!

I only suggested it to widen your choices, I personally hate spice, nimbu, mirchi and all those kitchen masala mobiles :p. But there exists a crowd that loves it, wasn't sure if you were into that or not so took the benefit of the doubt. I suggested Samsung for its durability (I can still see people using Samsung Tocco, Corby, yea those are aged devices which still run cool)

@montsa007: Yes, I did realize you were just trying to give me a few more options to look at, especially since I keep asking for it, :p. I was just kidding of course, when I said I'm surprised by the suggestion, 'cos I know where you're coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply mate. But that's one with a resistive screen. There's been enough red flags raised about resistive screens in the posts above already. So much so that it's prompted me to increase my budget by 1k-1.5k. If I had to buy a resistive touch, I'd probably go for a Micromax 'china maal' & save money, or at the most a Samsung Champ. Again, thanks for your response though.

Nokia resistive screens have always responded real well to me. Don't you dare compare them to CHina Maal, or the shitty Samsung Champ. If you do, you simply are ignorant enough and have no idea what you're talking about.

^^ Nokia resistive screen works well only in the 523X series. not sure about the higherend feature phones but C2-03 is total crap and so is Champ Deluxe Duos. Nokia Asha 305 "may" fail again as its price is quite low.

So can I go ahead and buy c2 02 for my mother in law as she just requires a normal touchscreen and no frills ? Scince I have been using various nokia phones for the past 10 years and none of them ever broke down .

Nokia resistive screens have always responded real well to me. Don't you dare compare them to CHina Maal, or the shitty Samsung Champ. If you do, you simply are ignorant enough and have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, I humbly submit I am ignorant and have no idea what I'm talking about. Which is why I created this thread in the 1st place to seek the help of those more experienced in these matters than I.

& based on the responses received, I concluded that the capacitive screen is the way to go currently, given the present models in the market today. I may very well have been hasty in my conclusions, but that's the impression I got. So I decided to up my budget & go for a capacitive screen, unless there's a model with a resistive touch which any forum member has had +ve experiences with (for eg. Nokia 523*). So while I was appreciative of your suggestion, I discounted it purely on my newly acquired prejudice against resistive screens, as also the fact that the phone has been launched fairly recently.

I'm in no way comparing Nokia to any Indian mobile manufacturer, or any other for that matter. I don't have enough experience to do so. I was just opining that given the -ve experiences most have had with resistive screens, if I did go for one, I'd probably go with a cheap one with the intent of a. Saving money b. Buying time to save enough for a better phone & c. Being less regretful about the purchase should the phone go kaput, since it was cheap to begin with.

If I've irritated or offended you in any way by my posts, rest assured it was never my intent to so. Again, thanks for your feedback. Much obliged.

Screen as well as overall performance, somehow I didn't like it and gave it away to my younger sis...

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

So can I go ahead and buy c2 02 for my mother in law as she just requires a normal touchscreen and no frills ? Scince I have been using various nokia phones for the past 10 years and none of them ever broke down .

Gauging by the responses in this thread, no. But I've had no direct experience.

Update: Checked the rates at the local mobilewallah-

1. LG Cookie Smart T375 - NA
2. Samsung Star 2 - Rs. 5100
3. Samsung Star 3 Duos - Rs. 5400
4. SE Walkman Mix WT13i - Rs. 6400
* His suggestion - Samsung Galaxy Pocket - Rs. 6300 (Tempted, given that it's an Android).
** Rs. 700/- rebate for the old W580

@kidrow - I checked the Galaxy Pocket, has a decent hardware for the price tag (832 Mhz proccy is good at this price), but trust me the usage experience will be "horrible" due to the tiny screen.
My bro in law purchased a Galaxy Y (without consulting me) and the screen of 3 inches makes him (as well as me) sick (he has a bit fat thumbs), the pocket has a 2.8 incher + android, pretty sure your experience may be more horrible lol. if you still wish to try your luck, your call. Android needs a big screen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. Honestly I would select the Galaxy Pocket.

Samsung Star isn't good. Trust me.

Any particular reason(s) why you rate the Samsung Star not good? Just curious, not questioning your opinion.

kidrow - I checked the Galaxy Pocket, has a decent hardware for the price tag (832 Mhz proccy is good at this price), but trust me the usage experience will be "horrible" due to the tiny screen.
My bro in law purchased a Galaxy Y (without consulting me) and the screen of 3 inches makes him (as well as me) sick (he has a bit fat thumbs), the pocket has a 2.8 incher + android, pretty sure your experience may be more horrible lol. if you still wish to try your luck, your call. Android needs a big screen!

I don't think screen size would in this case matter much, since the other Android touchscreen in my family is a LG Optimus P500, also a 3incher iinm. Though from what I've read, what would matter is the lower res. Iinm, not every app would be suited for the lower res.

Thank you both for your replies. & do correct me if I'm wrong.

Galaxy Rocket in the Pocket :p

Then I'm gonna fly!!!

I'm not considering the Pocket (the Samsung i.e., not mine) seriously atm because - 1. Additional strain on my pocket & 2. Android not necessary for mom (only plus I see for her is better video capability).
Subject to change should i find the Pocket on display somewhere & happen to fall in love with it!

Just get the Samsung Star 3 or the Alcatel 810D (USP is the ladies phone).
If I were you I'd get the latter as it'd invite a lot of compliments and turn heads, I've overadvised you now and hope you purchase the phone this weekend.

P.S. - Am getting a new (white) Nexus today evening :p

Back