iOS Trackpad/gesture supported mouse recommendations for iPad Air

kvn95ss

Adept
I traded my laptop with my brother for an iPad Air 5th gen. I used it with my bluetooth keyboard which I bought from here long time back, but the trackpad gives ghost touches randomly, and gestures are hit and miss - even scrolling doesn't work accurately, most of the time it moves cursor instead of scrolling. Right now I have disabled the trackpad and been using my mouse (Orochi v2), however lack of gesture support is making the experience a bit jarring.

From what I'm reading and seeing, only Apple Magic Keyboard and Logitech Combo/Folio Touch have decent trackpad experience, almost all bluetooth trackpads don't work smoothly.

Any suggestions for keyboard / case will be much appreciated. I plan to get back to video editing using Davinci resolve and will use the tablet to SSH into server for work, so a good keyboard / trackpad experience will be needed.

Apple Magic KB for sure. Its superb to use. Using with an Air 4
What's the cheapest way to buy it lol. Used they go for 13-16k.
Since the keyboard works, and my main issue is not having a good trackpad, how about just buying a Magic Trackpad?

That way I can use any skin/case with the iPad. I have a Keychron bluetooth keyboard back in Sweden, so I would much rather use that + trackpad than the cramped magic keyboard.

Last edited:
I’ve been using the iPad Air with my Bluetooth keyboard + Orochi v2 for ~5 days. My thoughts -

The keyboard is pretty serviceable, and gives decent typing experience when kept on top of table. Working on any surface apart from table (ex. While lounging on the sofa) is a no go
The mouse tracks decently, but I have to get used to the “stickiness” that iPadOS has for the circular cursor
The lack of gestures is indeed as much a pain as I thought it would be

Since most of my pain comes from lack of gesture, I thought I would get a Magic Trackpad / Magic mouse (barf) as I just need something with a good gesture support. Plus, it will be cheaper than buying a used Magic Keyboard for iPad.

Has anyone here used Magic Mouse / Trackpad with their iPad? Any suggestions?

Has anyone here used Magic Mouse / Trackpad with their iPad? Any suggestions?
Yes I use the mouse with my iPad and MacBook Air but it's too slim for my large hands. Unfortunately I also have CTS which does not help, so I will need to offload it in the future.
If you have smaller hands, then it is the best option for Mac. The MX Anywhere is still small but a better form factor. It can do gestures as well.
For keyboard, there is also the pricy MX Keys Mini. I am using the full sized MX Keys for the past 5 years and it has been excellent so far

Last edited:
I have a Keychron K4 back in Sweden, so not looking for a keyboard as such lol.

Orochi v2 is a perfect fit for me, how does MX Anywhere accomplish gestures? By mapping them to different buttons? I will see if I can do something similar with the side buttons of Oroochi, that would make things very easy for me! Plus I won’t have to spend money buying new things XD

I went to Croma nearby and was able to try out the apple magic keyboard. Holy hell the gestures and scrolling work sooo smooth. Makes using the iPad a very pleasant experience. Even with my mouse I am having a sucky tracking experience.

Now I have chucked the idea of getting a trackpad, because there aren’t many available in the used market :(

Torn between AMK and Logitech Combo Touch :/ personally would prefer AMK as the iPad will be ‘cooler’. The Logitech puts the iPad in a protective rubber case. I don’t plan to take my iPad everywhere, but the protection from LCT would be nice. Also they use the same connector as Apple, so will have a similar, if not better experience - due to its more roomy trackpad.

I went to Croma nearby and was able to try out the apple magic keyboard. Holy hell the gestures and scrolling work sooo smooth. Makes using the iPad a very pleasant experience. Even with my mouse I am having a sucky tracking experience.

Now I have chucked the idea of getting a trackpad, because there aren’t many available in the used market :(

Torn between AMK and Logitech Combo Touch :/ personally would prefer AMK as the iPad will be ‘cooler’. The Logitech puts the iPad in a protective rubber case. I don’t plan to take my iPad everywhere, but the protection from LCT would be nice. Also they use the same connector as Apple, so will have a similar, if not better experience - due to its more roomy trackpad.

How about this ?

Back