lucky_chouhan said:
Here is the Tip:

if you want to create exact 5 GB partition:

so need to allocate space

5130 MB for 5 GB
10250 MB for 10 GB
20500 MB for 20 GB
30750 MB for 30 GB or same............

you prolly mean 5120MiB for 5Gib or is the extra 10 for some reason:S ,and 5000MB=5GB don't let microsoft tell you otherwise.:p

Crazy_Eddy said:
I think the idea is to specify your partition size in MB in terms of (xGB x 1024) .

I have been using this method for quite some time, but it is not very accurate. In place of 10 GB I got 9.99 and for 15 I got 14.8. So may be he is correct.

^ A better idea would be to set your partition sizes as 4,384 and 7,961 MiB i.e the standard DVD-R and DVD+R DL. That way, you can make exact dvd image size partitions. I use the former for XP and the latter for Vista

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
^ A better idea would be to set your partition sizes as 4,384 and 7,961 MiB i.e the standard DVD-R and DVD+R DL. That way, you can make exact dvd image size partitions. I use the former for XP and the latter for Vista

for 500 gb hdd or a 640 gb hdd tht would mean more than 60 partitions :bleh:

arre, i meant for the system partition. The smaller your system partition, the better its performance as it is gets less fragmented and also is closer to the beginning of the hard disk and thus faster. The idea of dvd size partitions is bcoz you can write full size backups of your os partition onto dvds. Who cares about random metric sizes anyway, exact 10GiB is just another meaningless number :p

need a screenie? :p

I am running 24x7 without problems. Used WAIK to slim down the installer, and vlite to remove some more stuff and trimmed the winsxs folder and drivercache. Moreso, before sp1, you could make a linked folder to another partition for the winsxs. BTW, in the preinstall config, you can choose to set the path of the programs and profiles directory elsewhere (i used to do that before, but now consider it superfluous as i set different environment variables anyway).

Its easier to dismiss something than to understand it.

do we really need al this? whats the problem if we have somthing like 9.7GB? whats the problem in having c: as some 100gb and installing everything under it? why do we need to take a backup of the systemdrive when all it takes is some 3-5 hours to restore everything from scratch?
/booo is scratching his head.

Guys if you create 15 GB partition
so just + 5130 MB for 5 GB + 10250 MB for 10 GB
that mean 15380 MB give 15 GB Partition.

Check out mine partition never ever mistake in single byte:

ccd8c07ec3.jpg

booo said:
do we really need al this? whats the problem if we have somthing like 9.7GB? whats the problem in having c: as some 100gb and installing everything under it? why do we need to take a backup of the systemdrive when all it takes is some 3-5 hours to restore everything from scratch?
/booo is scratching his head.
well if u have 1000+ bookmarks
steam updates installed
softwares configured for ur needs

doin that would take more than 3-4 hours.... in fact it might never be back to the same again....

but i do agree 10gb accurate makes no diff to me

ronnie_gogs said:
well if u have 1000+ bookmarks
steam updates installed
softwares configured for ur needs

doin that would take more than 3-4 hours.... in fact it might never be back to the same again....

but i do agree 10gb accurate makes no diff to me
norton ghost??

Hard disk are the slowest component in your data chain. So they are the real bottlenecks in your system. So the benefit increasing the performance of your hard drives cannot be overemphasized.

It is a well known fact that as the cylinder no. of the hard disk increases, its performance decreases. Ever notice the downward sloping curve in hdtach? There's one reason. The closer your files are to the beginning of the hard disk, the faster they will be accessed as the disk head would have to move the least on the platter.

By that logic, large partitions are slower to access.

This is especially significant in indexing file systems like NTFS. The larger the Master File Table (MFT), the more the time it takes for the os to read it while booting or accessing data as the MFT is sequentially accessed .

As a rule of thumb, smaller NTFS partitions with indexing and compression disable have better performance.

Not to mention the fact that the more files you keep on your system partition. the more it would be fragmented. Moreso, smaller partitions are quicker to defragment. It only takes 5-10 minutes for a 4 gb partition.

It is never a good idea to keep any other data than the os on the system partition as you are risk losing it when you format it. So why waste space on a partition where you should only keep the os?

Having a separate os partition simplifies backups and formatting as I have already mentioned.

One reason too many? I guess I have justified myself. And you only have to do this once...

This advice was meant for those who want to extract every ounce of performance from their system. You should always be receptive to learn.

btw, what's the use of this thread anyway. Ignorance is bliss ??? (Not on a tech forum)

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
There's one reason. The closer your files are to the beginning of the hard disk, the faster they will be accessed as the disk head would have to move the least on the platter.
I dont buy that... every operating system implements read aheads in its own way. as far as I know, accessing numerous files of small size is slower than accessing a big single file. it doesnt make much difference whether they are close together or distant apart.
do you mean to say, while playing a game, accessing files related to the game from D: and accessing windows related dlls from c: is faster than accessing all of them from c:??? are you sure?

again fragmentation is: single file splitted into parts while storing on hdd. so the files which usually tend to get fragmented is big files.(read movies, songs) which dont need much of the performance anyway.
as far as the texure files of the games are concerned, they will be loaded into the ram before you get to play the game. (thats why there would be a loooooong "loading" message before you play the game.)

so at the end, fragmented volume wont cause lot of headache, but maintaining 30 volumes of 10gb each on a 250gb hdd will surely does. and you dont need defragmentation every now and then. atleast I never needed it in the past 5 years.

Back